Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loading 12 gauge with titegroup - Hotter than normal gun?

Novock

Hey guys,

Getting into loading shotgun and I like to keep as few powders on hand as possible. I use titegroup for my 9mm minor rounds (uspsa pf) and am getting ready to load 12 gauge for 3 gun... titegroup burns fast and hot in pistol. Is it safe to say my shotgun would be hotter than if i were to run something like titewad?

with weapon manipulation on the range during a match, guys burn their support hand on shotguns all the time while reloading. Just want to make sure titegroup wouldnt be significantly hotter (temp) than your average store bought similar load.

Hey guys,

Getting into loading shotgun and I like to keep as few powders on hand as possible. I use titegroup for my 9mm minor rounds (uspsa pf) and am getting ready to load 12 gauge for 3 gun... titegroup burns fast and hot in pistol. Is it safe to say my shotgun would be hotter than if i were to run something like titewad?

with weapon manipulation on the range during a match, guys burn their support hand on shotguns all the time while reloading. Just want to make sure titegroup wouldnt be significantly hotter (temp) than your average store bought similar load.

It should be hotter because of the nitro glycerine base. It has melted FO rods before on my pistol.

You are going to run through a lot more powder loading shotgun than you would pistol. Load data shows using anywhere between 16 and 20 grains of power for a 1 oz load. You will get between 350 and 440 shells loaded per pound of powder. As hard as titegroup is to find sometimes I don't know if you would want to burn it up in shotgun shells.

You are going to run through a lot more powder loading shotgun than you would pistol. Load data shows using anywhere between 16 and 20 grains of power for a 1 oz load. You will get between 350 and 440 shells loaded per pound of powder. As hard as titegroup is to find sometimes I don't know if you would want to burn it up in shotgun shells.

This^^^^

Titegroup isn't optimal for shotguns in my experience. It burns very hot and is pressure spikey.

Loading shots hells isn't like metallic cartridges in that you don't get pressure signs on shotshells. You just get failure.

I like to minimize powder too. Makes things simpler. That said, I keep a powder for each gauge of shotgun and each rifle caliber. It just isn't worth it to me to sub optimize performance. There are many good shotgun powders that work in pistol cartridges. I don't think Titegroup is one of them. For 12 gauge, Red Dot, E3, WSF, and a host of other work well and can be used in pistol calibers. I really like Clays but it has been unavailable for a long time.

Bottom line is I think you will be happier to choose a shotgun powder better suited to the performance you want and keep Titegroup for your pistol if you like it.

I do not load shotgun...but... I would think you would be better off using a shotgun powder that works well in 9mm than a 9mm powder that you are trying to get to work in shotgun. Some options of similar performance that come to mind would be WST (my go to power for 9mm min and .40 maj), WSF, Solo 1000, E3, Clays I'm sure there are plenty others. Not to mention the shotgun powders seem to be easier to get your hands on these days, and burn cooler.

Hey guys,

Forget Titegroup You want Titewad (Hodgdon). !!!!!

I guess I mis-read... I though the OP's goal was to find one powder he could use for both 9mm and his shotgun. I guess he is actually saying he plans to use TG for his 9mm, and just wanted to know if he could use it for his shotgun, or if he should select a different powder....

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think tightwad is a good choice for 9mm though. Too fast...

He is talking shotgun not 9,,,,,,,

From my take, OP is looking for a powder that does shotgun and 9mm. My favorite is unique. I use it for 9mm, .45acp, .380acp, 12ga and 16ga. Dirty but works everytime.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...