Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping pistol

JMontie

I have a RIA that I need to send back for warranty work. The warranty department supervisor said I could ship it directly from my house to him and it return back to me as long as it wasn't replaced. Below is part of the email. Is this correct, don't want to cross King O.

Because we are the manufacturer and have an FFL license you can ship the firearm directly to us. If all we do is repair the firearm then we can ship it directly back to you. If we do need to replace this firearm, because you are in Louisiana we can send the replacement directly to you as long as the replacement is the same make and model.
Attached to this email is an RMA form letter that needs to be printed, filled out and included with your firearm when you ship it back to us.
If you are an FFL dealer I have also attached a copy of our FFL license.
Also attached to this email is your FedEx shipping tag and shipping receipt. When preparing your firearm for shipping please take note of the following.
MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE FIREARM IS NOT LOADED AND THE HAMMER IS NOT COCKED.
DO NOT INCLUDE ANY LIVE AMMO IN THE BOX WITH THE FIREARM.
If you are an FFL dealer YOU MUST include a copy of your FFL license, with every firearm to be added to queue for repair. (Listed in queue by date of receival must have FFL with firearm to be received.)
Place the firearm back in its case, and put the case in a shipping box along with the completed return form. Then print the FedEx label and tape it to your shipping box. You can then take the box to a FedEx Express location.
Keep the shipping receipt for your records, it has the tracking number on it. You can check the FedEx web site using that tracking number to make sure your firearm has arrived here.
When your firearm is finished we will send you an email with a Fed Ex tracking number. That will let you know the firearm is on the way back to you, and you will be able to track it on the Fed Ex website. When it does arrive it will require an adult signature.
Again, please do not include any live ammo with the firearm when you ship it.
We are quoting 3-4 weeks turn-around time for repairs once your firearm arrives at our repair center. If you have any questions please feel free to email me.
Thank you.

Yep - I had to send a pistol in for warranty work. They (different company from RIA) provided a UPS 2day return label. I packaged it up, slapped the label on, dropped it off at UPS. 2 weeks later, back at my home, but requires adult >21 signature to receive it.

Good to know.

I always thought that if the gun was replaced (i.e. had a different serial number) it was required to go through an FFL. Apparently that is not the way it works.

Thanks.

But why did they specify, "since you are in Louisiana?" Did they mean since you are in the U.S.?

Good to know.

I always thought that if the gun was replaced (i.e. had a different serial number) it was required to go through an FFL. Apparently that is not the way it works.

Thanks.

But why did they specify, "since you are in Louisiana?" Did they mean since you are in the U.S.?

Good point. I assumed it meant all states since its Federal Law, but when dealing with the Feds not much we can safely assume.

Good to know.

Thanks.

I'm not sure, I doubt there are any exceptions for Louisiana. I would think the laws that apply would be Federal, and would be the same for every state. Maybe certain anti-gun state laws forbid the mailing of firearms by an individual.

• 2 weeks later...

An individual w/o an FFL can ship to a manufacturer or other FFL for repair or replacement. The FFL has to log the gun in his bound book when he gets it, and then out when he ships it back. It does not require a new 4473. If an individual gives the gun to an FFL and then it goes to another FFL, as for refinishing or something else, the first FFL has to log the gun in from the individual, out to the other FFL, then back in when he gets it back, then out to the individual, and he has to do a 4473 for the transfer. An individual w/o an FFL shipping to an individual w/o an FFL in another state has to ship to an FFL and the FFL has to do a 4473. UPS and FedEx require next day shipping for handguns, but ground shipping for long guns. FFLs can ship via USPS, individuals can't. Individual states may have additional restrictions on top of what the Feds require.