Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why does my brass look like this?

CrashDodson

Been loading 40 for a while, just started loading 9 and noticed that the case dips in a little behind the bullet. Is this normal? The top of the case measures .3795 behind the bullet measures between .3750 and .3760. This is on a 550 with dillon dies.

post-48441-0-69253200-1451980400_thumb.j

post-48441-0-98504300-1451980417_thumb.j

Been loading 40 for a while, just started loading 9 and noticed that the case dips in a little behind the bullet. Is this normal? The top of the case measures .3795 behind the bullet measures between .3750 and .3760. This is on a 550 with dillon dies.

Your dies are sizing down the case more than the bullet diameter. When you insert the bullet, it expands the case allowing it to hold the bullet firmly. The result is the "coke bottle" effect. You aren't seeing it on factory ammo as they don't size down the case as much as your dies do.

Those look a little bulgy, but nothing to worry about. Whose bullets are those, what weight, what diameter? and what brass?

Left to right, Bayou 124 TC (.3564"), Hornady XTP (.357") and Montana Gold JHP (.355")

image37196.jpg

If you are worried about it, use the expander die or, if you are, use a slightly larger expander die.

The case ID after expansion should be 0.001-0.002" smaller than actual bullet diameter. If you use an expander and the ID is smaller than that, you should get a slightly larger expander.

The only worries about what you have are:

1) if only on one side, it indicates that the bullet was seated crooked and the rounds may not chamber. Perform a "Plunk" test (do Google search if not familiar with term).

2) if using lead bullets, your lead bullets were probably swaged smaller when stuffed into an insufficiently expanded case and will be less accurate and may lead the barrel.

Thanks for the replies. I case gauge each round and I have not had any issues. I use my barrel to gauge the rounds for matches. I just want to make sure I am being safe. These are minor loads but the case looked funny to me. I will check and see if the bulges are just on one side. I will load some tonight and check the diameter of the bullet first and the case after.

• 2 weeks later...