Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 major chrono session, input please w231

jtrump

So I got to the range today to chrono some loads, This is my first time loading .40cal, Previously I loaded .45 using hp38 and w231 on hand so that's what I went with.

Gun- STI DVC Limited

Bullet-Bayou 180g

Winchester SPP

mixed once fired brass- Full length re-sized in G-Rex

w231

1.180 OAL

4.4G

AVERAGE: 871 fps

4.6G

AVERAGE: 900 fps

4.8G

AVERAGE: 932 fps 167.7 PF if I drop the low 912 and the high 957

I Live in Florida, and generally it is hot here, today it was 50 degrees when we ran the loads, I had kept them inside my house all night and in my gun box sitting on the dashboard of my truck in the sun before pulling them out and running them, I have heard W231 is Temp sensitive. Do these look about right to you guys? I'm debating trying out a different powder, my smith who did the Chrono, said that the w231 felt a bit more stout then his 170g "lead" over Universal Clays did, and we made the exact same PF, he was shooting his loads through an STI EDGE.

Now I want to run off and load a bunch of rounds but I'm not sure that's the best option at this point, I don't want to go load 2k rounds that are going to be running 980FPS when it's 70 degrees outside, so I come here for advice :)

Edited by jtrump

Those speeds seem maybe a little fast to me. I load plated 180 gn RNFPs to 1.135" COAL shot out of a 4.75" Tanfoglio Match and am getting the following speeds:

4.1 gn - 740 fps

4.4 gn - 825 fps

4.7 gn - 858 fps

5.0 gn - 910 fps

Now I recognize that Bayou coated are supposed to run faster than plated but you also loaded longer than me so your pressures should be lower. You are hitting about 50 fps faster than me on all loads. I'm not sure what difference the longer loading makes in the speed and would appreciate someone educating us on that.

That's the only thing I can contribute to it as well, I mean I'm running a slightly longer barrel, and the hy-tek coated bullets. But as you said Loading long, so I'm not sure really.. I thought my 4.8g load was going to be around 940fps avg.

EDIT: Unless you chorono'd when it was cold, and think you're numbers are lower than they should be like me today.... As I said I've only "heard/read" w231 takes a crap at certain temperature levels and people gain as much as 100fps say on an 80-85 degree day.

Edited by jtrump

ALSO: Loaded a few bullets to shoot tomorrow, try out their accuracy and such..

Running a dillion 550b, Anyone ever had a problem in the crimp station where it's actually shaving a tiny tiny tiny bit of brass right around the case mouth?????? Never had this happen on my .45 loads, But I don't imagine it's a good thing.

I'm thinking maybe I have to much case flare? any advice greatly appreciated.

it's shaving brass around the case mouth

maybe I have too much case flare?

My guess, without seeing any photos, is that you should flare the case just a little bit more -

you're probably shaving lead, not brass. :sight:

Re: higher temps - wait until the end of the week - supposed to be 80 F again. :cheers:

Loaded 150 rounds and went to the range today, Sighted the gun in and well the load is defiantly more accurate that I am. Aiming at one white pasty 5 shot group left a ragged hole a little larger than a quarter at 25 yards. I'm happy with it, going to have to re-chrono when it warms back up to typical FL temps.

It's hard to explain it doesn't feel snappy, yet the sights return to the target very quickly, it has a little muzzle flip but is easily controllable. So looks like I'll be one of the few shooting w231 in .40 limited, until I can actually find some n320 to tinker with.

Edited by jtrump

If you are shaving brass at the crimp station, you really should chamfer the cases inside and out. It isn't a big deal, but that takes care of most of the problem.

If you look in loading manuals, you'll see that the gun used is important for velocity.

You can take two barrels made at the same time using the same tooling and having the "same" measurements, and one will be faster than the other--for rifles, often by 200+ fps.

You get what you get.

That's adding an extra step already into my process ;(.... I literally budget reload... I wet tumble, sort the brass individually to drop the pins dry it, then re-size using the G-rex tool, then run it in a vibrating tumbler with fine grain walnut media with polish for 3 hours, it then gets dumped into a wicker basket which I use as a media separator and then finally to the loading bench... It's like a part time job haha...

I took a little bit out of the crimp I was getting some .421's, I'm getting consistent 4.225 and 2.23's now for mixed brass... I measured the brass case and got .12, I don't think I want to run a .424 crimp??? But I also don't want to shave brass, or add another step..

I'm going to have the old man come by tomorrow he has 3 550's setup and has been reloading for like 30 years on them, I bet he can get it sorted out alone with my primer bar issues... Never had this problem with .45, to bad .40 isn't as simple.

I think I got lucky with the barrel, I loaded a few at 5 grains and picked up another 31fps avg over 4.8 grains, putting me up into factory power factor, 175ish...

I shot some more yesterday and I will say that I was all worried about using 231/hp-38 for reloading .40, I bought 2 8lb jugs of it locally, as I load .45 with it also... It doesn't smoke it's accurate and the recoil is super manageable. First match coming up on Saturday, finished 9th overall shooting SS last time out of 50, I'm going for higher with 21 rounds of .40 major ! :)