Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Timer Apps...let's talk about 'em!

RolexJohn

For the past several years I've used the Surefire Shot Timer app on my iPhone and iPad with GREAT success. When I upgraded to the iPhone 6s a few months ago, I noticed the app went missing on my phone...checked the app store, and it's gone. Does anyone know what the story is here as to what happened to this GREAT app?

There are a couple of other shot timer apps in the app store. So far I've tried Innovative Applications "Shot Timer" (it looks suspiciously close to the Surefire App...wondering if they bought it?), Make Ready(both lite and paid), and AIPSC Timer. All seem to suffer from the same issues - either they don't register any shots or they register every sound as a shot. Logic says at least one of them should work, and my results were likely user error. I've tried configuring the microphone sensitivity of the apps to no avail. I even tried taking off the case on my phone to see if that helped.

So is anyone out there successfully using one of these apps?

I was just thinking about this today. My buddy left his shot timer at home. Anybody used one on the android system?

Yeah, I use the IPSC Shot Timer app all the time. It took a lot of fiddling to get the decibel threshold set to pick up the gunshots without catching my farts but once I got it dialed in it works pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

Conversation so far has been related to matches. I need an app for 1) dry fire timing/par times, and 2) timing for NRA qualifications. Basically just again Par timing. I don't need to be absolutly accurate and don't need to time splits on actual shots. Just start and 10/20 seconds beep again. I downloaded the Innovations app and its' not very loud. And it's user interface is a bit aggravating. (I write software for a living and a lot of apps are "a bit aggravating").

I tried hooking my iPhone to my ears through a mic jack. That will probably work, but my cable isn't set up with the right connections, but it's close.

based on all that do you think another of the iPhone apps would suffice? Or am I plunking down $125 for a real timer?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Cuthahotha

For dry fire/par times practice I use the Surefire Shottimer app. That's about all its good for. You really can not hear it during live fire unless it's right next to your ear protection. It's possible to set the db detection, but it's a pain to get right. The app is free.

Edited by Sleddog30