Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 9mm Open Minor with Comp

AKJD

I am new to shooting open. My gun is a Glock 17, LW barrel and Carver 3 port comp. I am looking at possibly going to the Carver 2 port. This set up is primarilly for 3 gun, steel, and indoor USPSA matches. I don't have plans to shoot major with this gun.

I am looking for suggestions on powder and loads for 115 and 124 grain bullets that will provide the gas and pressure to work these comps which according to the maker are designed to work with lighter loads.

My minor load for production is 4.1 of N320 with 124 JHP which will not cycle the gun with an 11lb recoil spring. I also have loaded 5 gr of Silouette which works the gun but I have no idea the velocity since I cannot chrono for a couple months. Reading through the posts on loading major I understand that slower powders are used. Since I am shooting minor with the comp should I use powders that fall between the faster powders used for minor and the slower powders used for major?

Thanks for any information.

Which recoil spring are you using? I had issues with my Glock 17 using an 11 pound ISMI and switched to 10 pound Wolf and it runs great now. I use E3 for all of my loads. I don't know if it really works the comp or not but I have plenty of it so that's what I'm sticking with.

Drop the spring weight... I run an 11 in a non-comp minor glock. Put a 8-9 in it... It'll run. And if I was running minor I'd get something cheaper then VV, maybe CFE or titegroup.

If you have a comp you might as well use it! This means using the slowest powder you can get your hands on (and cycle the gun of course).

112gr is the lightest bullet allowed for major, but for minor you can use 95/100gr 380 pills, which shoot very soft and flat under a large charge of slow powder.

I would look for some HS6, HS7, Longshot, AA7, Blue Dot, N105. Lil Gun is probably too slow to cycle the gun. With any of those you're going to be loading 8-9gr of powder and making lots of gas.

use the slowest powder

for minor you can use 95/100gr 380 pills, which shoot very soft and flat under a large charge of slow powder.

I would look for some HS6, HS7, Longshot, AA7, Blue Dot, N105.

+1. The perfect answer ... light bullet and very slow powder.

Drop the spring weight... I run an 11 in a non-comp minor glock. Put a 8-9 in it... It'll run. And if I was running minor I'd get something cheaper then VV, maybe CFE or titegroup.

Do you know of anyone that makes <10 pound springs for Glocks?

Thanks for the information, I hadn't thought of going with a lighter bullet. Do the lighter bullets have any issues with dropping fall over plates or poppers? I would think they would work ok as long as you are making power factor. Our 3 gun matches use a lot of steel.