Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster options for Open class pistol

Smallbore

I am testing out a used CR Speed holster for my new to me open gun. I dropped it the other day on my first outing. I thought it was clipped good but it wasn't. Is there a holster that is better or all they all walking a fine line of falling out?

I like my CR Speed holster. Used it for years. Never had a gun come out.

If you have them clicked in they don't come out, if you don't the gun will.

You can pick me up with it when locked.

There are many brands of open holster available.

I think some shooters don't adjust there holsters right from the get go. You have to fit them for best results.

Edited by longbarrel

CR Speed, Ghost, DAA, and Safariland are probably the most popular.

Ive used CR Speed and currently use a Ghost. The CR Speed was secure, but you could yank the gun out if you left it locked. The Ghost will not let go of the gun if its locked.

I use the CR Speed but don't trust it, even locked in I keep my hand on the gun. Along with the other holsters mentioned you might also look at Warrens holster (Protocol Design). Warren made an attachment for a Hogue auto holster so you can use an auto or a revolver of almost any barrel length.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116177

CR Speed. Got three of them. Got to be adjusted right from get go. Make the lock stiff to operate. The lock working its way on is what stops the gun going all the way in and a droppy.

BUT if you forget to take the lock off as DWFAN says you can still yank the gun out. You wont see much after because your eyes will be watering from the wedgey you just gave yourself :surprise:

DAA Race Master is very secure when locked, and can be unlocked via finger swipe on the draw if you forget to unlock it. The new magnetic inserts are a significant improvement over the older design with the adjustment screw, and I have switched over to them for all of my guns. They work best with square trigger guards (STI, Sigs, etc). My metallic gun based on an STI master frame works great - no movement at all, and the draw is smooth with no resistance. They work well with the traditional 1911, but since holster secures the gun by clamping on the trigger guard, the round profile allows a bit of movement. It's just as secure, and the draw is just as smooth, but it's something to be aware of. This movement can be eliminated by adding the optional muzzle support.

The downside to the holster is it can be a bit of a pain to get the angles adjusted the first time as it uses a ball joint with two set screws. But once it's set, you are good to go, and can simply swap out the inserts if you decide to change guns without losing the adjustments. Just check the tightness of the screws occasionally as I have had them loosen up over time.

I truely hate the CR, just wrong to me. But if used incorrectly all of the above will bit you hard one day. I lean towards Safariland and DAA, I have also used the H&S Series5, work OK, but need to be kept an eye on, DAA will sometimes not stay where you want them. Had a few issues with the screws not staying where they should as some fat guy crushes the holster from time to time.

I use the CR Speed but don't trust it, even locked in I keep my hand on the gun. Along with the other holsters mentioned you might also look at Warrens holster (Protocol Design). Warren made an attachment for a Hogue auto holster so you can use an auto or a revolver of almost any barrel length.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116177

^^^^^ This

I literally gave away my CR Speed holster after Using one of Warrens.

Warren's holster is a simple and elegant design. Very durable too.

I have 2 014's and a CR Speed. On my Bianchi Open and Metallic 1911's, I use an 014 and I love them, but for my USPSA Open Glock, I have to use a CR Speed because of the optic mount I have. The CR seems ok, but it's not smooth on the draw like the 014's. Tends to be very grabby on the trigger guard as you pull the gun out.

I would take the 014 Safariland over all else, the thing is a machine. I haven't tried Warren's design, but I'm sure it rocks like all his stuff.