Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI trigger issue....

wwboater

I have a 9mm STI 2011 that has a minor issue. The trigger hits the magazine and prevents the hammer from falling. The trigger bow behind the plastic trigger piece hits the magazines on the front side of the mag. Now if I put in a 40 cal mag the gun functions perfectly (dry firing of course). I already sent one mag back to STI and the new mags does the same thing. The mag I bought from Brownells does the same.....

Is it normal or OK to take some material off of the trigger bow so that it clears the mags? It does the same thing with my SVI trigger that works fine in the 40 cal STI....

I had the same issue with a Marauder I picked up a few months back. I tuned the mags as the front to back dimension was quite a bit over from the factory, but that didn't give me the clearance I needed. I ordered two gunsmith fit triggers, but the two sides of the trigger bow were not even where they come together behind the shoe, so they both hit the mags as well. This could not be corrected with the trigger bow stirrup from Brownells. I gave up on the STI triggers and fit an SVI bow with the the inserts - they are longer than the STI's, so I have the clearance I needed, and required no mods to the grip safety tang. The SVI shoe is wider than the STI grip channel, so you will either have to fit the width of the shoe to the grip, or widen the grip channel. I thinned the shoe.

Edited by Vizorn

Bending the trigger bow forward was not an option in my case. The two sides of the bow were not even across the front where they come together behind the shoe (one side was further forward than the other). I would have had to remove the shoe and reposition both ends to match them up - not an option without ruining the nylon shoe. I'll post a picture when I get home later today.

Generally , not always, the shorter side of the uneven bow can be moved forward enough to clear . Off course the trigger itself has to be realigned / bent straight so it will travel freely through the opening.

Mags should be checked for correct dimensions also of course.

REMEMBER nothing should be thought of as drop in on a 1911/2011.

It may drop in but it should be considered needing fitting when acquired

Good Fortune

An Gods Blessing to all for the new year

jcc7x7

Edited by jcc7x7

I ordered two gunsmith fit triggers, but the two sides of the trigger bow were not even where they come together behind the shoe, so they both hit the mags as well.

I had this same issue with their gunsmith fit trigger as well. Really irritating for a brand new part to be so incredibly far from functional.

I really doubt this is a magazine issue. The front of the trigger bow should not protrude past the inside of the grip (front of magwell) at it's rear most point of travel.

99% of new 2011 trigger bows are out of shape, and no where near "drop in". I've done a good bit of adjustment on every one I've ever installed. Also, I wouldn't take for granted that these types of adjustments are being made on STI factory guns.

Take some time and learn the relationship of the the shoe/bow/grip/disco.... and with some trial and error you will figure out how to bend and influence the bow until it glides smooth and operates correctly.