Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder availabilty question

kfin

I have not reloaded in a few years. Right about Sandy Hook time I was ready to start up again, got a bunch of stuff from Brian, sent my Dillon 550 back to Dillon to get refurbished. Got it all set up and then couldn't find primers or powder for 6 months and gave up. Last week I started looking again for powders and can't find W231 anywhere or 700X which is what I used to use a lot of.

Are pistol powders still that hard to find? Primers I found on Powder valley and stocked up a few, but those two powders are almost non existent in 4 or 8 pound jugs. Hate paying the price at 1 lb apiece but may have to. Am I just not looking in the right places for powder?

Anybody know where a guy can score an 8 pound jug of either of those?

Thanks for any insight.....the stores in my small town have not had a 22 bullet in them for 3 years. :) I still don't understand that one.

Keith

I did not know that, thanks for the info and I will keep that in my scouring info. I used to shoot 500 to 1000 rounds a month plinking in the "yard". Have a new rubber mulch bullet trap so if I can get fixed up with some powders I like I can be set up pretty good as I cast my own 200 gr LSWC.

231 used to be my "go to" powder, during the unavailability period I tried a bunch of different powders. I find that I like CFE Pistol and Winchester Autocomp better than I did 231 so that's what I use now. Here's a link to another option of where to buy (get together with friends and spread the shipping and Hazmat charges out) http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,4448.html

Things are certainly better now than 2 years ago. Today I made the rounds at a few LGS, one of them had HP-38 (W231), Titegroup, CFE Pistol and (drum roll....) Clays. Another had WST, WSF, BE, Unique, VV 320 and 310.

So it's out there just keep looking.

Edited by firewood

CFE pistol is available most places. 700X availability is there too as most do not like the inconsistent metering.

I just bought 2 Kegs of HP38 from Precision reloading & Yes the shipping & hazmat ran about $53

But I was still just over $21.60/lb with 16 pound purchase. Win 231/HP-38 availability has been scarce & why I bought it when I could in a quantity that will last me a very long time.