Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate barrel failed

gianmarko

my00wrx1... Yes, they would repair the pistol, I think -- If I sent it in again.  I'm not sending these guns anywhere for repair, here's why: Last barrel lug break, sent pistol for repair, they did so, but replaced the extractor(There was nothing wrong with the extractor.) and replaced the barrel.  On the barrel, they inlet and re-contoured the chamber mouth making it more like a funnel, destroying a brand new barrel and unusable for an open gun.  I bought another barrel from CZ Custom and replaced the barrel by CZ USA and am happy with the gun after doing my own fitting and such.

No, didn't modify the recoil rod.  That black portion you see on the rod is a CZ USA Shock Buff designed for the gun --- didn't solve anything, just a nuisance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my Czechmate used. It has the original barrel and had 6000 rounds through it when I bought it. I have put an additional 3000 rds through it has been flawless. I am assuming that it came with a beefed up barrel. Here is a pic below:

35454776506_ef717eaf85_c.jpg

Edited by abb1

• 5 months later...

saturday im finally collecting the new barrels

they told me barrels need to be fitted to the gun, is that true and is something i can do myself or us gunsmith time?

in the meanwhile i shot at least 30k rounds on another barrel and no issues whatsoever except the usual slide lock replacement

btw, i would like to build my own slide locks, cant get them from CZ, the importer is useless and last time i saw them for sale at a match they were 30  bucks a piece

what material would you recommend using? i was thinking about using drill bits, the 5mm drill bit is almost exactly the same OD, only 1 or 2 thousands of millimeter less

2 hours ago, gianmarko said:

they told me barrels need to be fitted to the gun, is that true and is something i can do myself or us gunsmith time?

in the meanwhile i shot at least 30k rounds on another barrel and no issues whatsoever except the usual slide lock replacement

btw, i would like to build my own slide locks, cant get them from CZ, the importer is useless and last time i saw them for sale at a match they were 30  bucks a piece

what material would you recommend using? i was thinking about using drill bits, the 5mm drill bit is almost exactly the same OD, only 1 or 2 thousands of millimeter less

It depends on the bit. Most are too brittle for this. Maybe a cheap bit would last. The barrel will bend the stop, it has to be soft enough not to crack. 

I have seen the cracked frames in other models. Right at the Slide Stop holes. 

I will keep what I saw on the frame of a P01 to myself. When they list alloy I expected more.

14 minutes ago, Endall said:

It depends on the bit. Most are too brittle for this. Maybe a cheap bit would last. The barrel will bend the stop, it has to be soft enough not to crack. 

I will keep what I saw on the frame of a P01 to myself. When they list alloy I expected more.

what cz models  u saw cracked frames  in slide stop pin hole ?

Fitting the barrel should go something like this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TMIXx

Just take it nice and slow.

12 hours ago, gianmarko said:

This looks interesting 

i use 5mm  h6    hardened pins from skf bearing shop 

but it needs  some  accurate  work to fit the gun.

in last 30 y. never saw that it breaks. 

cost 0.5 usd each.

cz s.s  machined  from cast steel  - wrong technology 

tanfoglio made them  wright  way from 2 parts.

Edited by yigal

19 hours ago, Endall said:

Endall

actually the CM slide stop is very brittle, appears to be cast iron, it breaks like glass, ill post some pictures later

in the case i think the shank of a hss drill bit might be too soft. not sure the hardness, but they seem to make the shank not as hard as the cutting part.

the fitting seems doable, i will give it a go, thanks to all for the suggestions

gm

15 minutes ago, my00wrx1 said:

They crack and bend. This slide stop has a crack almost right the way around the circumference.  It was moderately difficult to remove from the slide due to the bend. 

62D92C68-6491-4E48-B878-CA724E5D56DA.jpeg

Good collection. All from the same gun?

3 hours ago, my00wrx1 said:

They crack and bend. This slide stop has a crack almost right the way around the circumference.  It was moderately difficult to remove from the slide due to the bend. 

62D92C68-6491-4E48-B878-CA724E5D56DA.jpeg

VERY IMPRESSIVE COLLECTION . ;)

5 hours ago, adamge said:

Has anyone that goes through a lot of pins / slidestops tried stronger recoil springs?

on few  tso that  use  16lb recoil springs the original ss hold 10k-15k factory ammo .after it was replaced it hold 4k- 8k. and 1 new  breaks   after 2500 rounds.

tso that used from the begining 13lb rs.   ss break   every 6k.

i replace on 2 tso ss from " bul cherokee  9mm " and now  it with 10k. waiting  to know how it's hold.

18 hours ago, gianmarko said:

here a new and an old barrell side by side

new one is right

difference is subtle, the whole block under the barrel is 0.5mm longer

20171209_161017.jpg

I got my new style barrel about 2 years ago and it is different to yours so they may be on their 3rd version. 

18 hours ago, yigal said:

VERY IMPRESSIVE COLLECTION . ;)

Unfortunately I have added to that collection since that photo was taken - I have another one that is cracked and bent.  It was hard to get out of the slide because it was bent and when I had a close look it is cracked almost right the way round.  

I like to have 3 - practice, match and spare. I also have 4 slide stop pins but I don’t like to use them because they don’t leave the slide back when the mag is empty. 

2 hours ago, my00wrx1 said:

Unfortunately I have added to that collection since that photo was taken - I have another one that is cracked and bent.  It was hard to get out of the slide because it was bent and when I had a close look it is cracked almost right the way round.  

I like to have 3 - practice, match and spare. I also have 4 slide stop pins but I don’t like to use them because they don’t leave the slide back when the mag is empty. 

i took broken ss from shooters and  drill them in place that was pin . after this i weld good quality hardened steel   5mm  h6 pin instead the old one. 

it  hold a lot .it can bend but not breaks any more.  if it bends i drill it again and replace it with new.

i build jigs for welding and all ss the same.  

Edited by yigal

1 hour ago, wingnut said:

Now  I am not sure I want one now.

u don't want to join to the cz  club.?:o

if  i lived  in us  i would carry glock 17or cz 75 old type . and for ipsc one of 2011 types , or tanfoglio limited custom (small frame only)

i break a slide stop every 6-7000 rounds. i tried harder spring and its worse, gun is less reliable, and slide lock lasts possibly less. i use only pins, not hold open.

i think i have broken 5 or 6 but i dont keep all of them :-) so my collection is less impressive.

i dont see this as a big problem. the gun keeps shooting with a broken pin and i often realized i had broken one after a training/match and didnt notice any malfunction

but even if the gun manlfuctioned, it would still be more reliable than any 2011. i get the occasional failure to extract or jam but 99% of the time is a bad ammo, 1% of the time is  a bent lip of the magazine when training on concrete floor.

so i consider this a  minor problem. main problem now is cost and availability, cannot get them as spare part and they seem to have become very expensive, so i ordered the impact wrench pins from the video. considering the original application, they should last forever. i ordered 5, at any rate.

one guy i shoot with very often has a lot more malfunctions in his 2011s. some of them might be due to his continuous fiddling with the gun and continuous replacing parts looking for alleged "improvements" but at the end of the day, not having any or very little aftermarket mods for the CM is probably an advantage as the gun works 100% out of the box and any "improvement" will probably introduce less reliability. in fact, the only mod i applied, the CZC mag baseplates, followers and springs are the cause of most of the malfunctions i had.

so probably even a 2011 will be reliable if not daily tampered with for whatever reason, but to get a 2011 to work reliably it will have to go several times to a good gunsmith for tuning.

at the moment in europe a CM is 30% cheaper than any 2011

a guy i know who shoots 2011 tried my CM and he said it sucks. but at the last match i kicked his ass (and with two malfunctions due to my crappy reloads) so there you go

51 minutes ago, gianmarko said:

i break a slide stop every 6-7000 rounds. i tried harder spring and its worse, gun is less reliable, and slide lock lasts possibly less. i use only pins, not hold open.

i think i have broken 5 or 6 but i dont keep all of them :-) so my collection is less impressive.

i dont see this as a big problem. the gun keeps shooting with a broken pin and i often realized i had broken one after a training/match and didnt notice any malfunction

but even if the gun manlfuctioned, it would still be more reliable than any 2011. i get the occasional failure to extract or jam but 99% of the time is a bad ammo, 1% of the time is  a bent lip of the magazine when training on concrete floor.

so i consider this a  minor problem. main problem now is cost and availability, cannot get them as spare part and they seem to have become very expensive, so i ordered the impact wrench pins from the video. considering the original application, they should last forever. i ordered 5, at any rate.

one guy i shoot with very often has a lot more malfunctions in his 2011s. some of them might be due to his continuous fiddling with the gun and continuous replacing parts looking for alleged "improvements" but at the end of the day, not having any or very little aftermarket mods for the CM is probably an advantage as the gun works 100% out of the box and any "improvement" will probably introduce less reliability. in fact, the only mod i applied, the CZC mag baseplates, followers and springs are the cause of most of the malfunctions i had.

so probably even a 2011 will be reliable if not daily tampered with for whatever reason, but to get a 2011 to work reliably it will have to go several times to a good gunsmith for tuning.

at the moment in europe a CM is 30% cheaper than any 2011

a guy i know who shoots 2011 tried my CM and he said it sucks. but at the last match i kicked his ass (and with two malfunctions due to my crappy reloads) so there you go

2011 properly tuned is very reliable gun.

it's only need  more care than cz type guns.

On 6/24/2017 at 2:49 AM, abb1 said:

I bought my Czechmate used. It has the original barrel and had 6000 rounds through it when I bought it. I have put an additional 3000 rds through it has been flawless. I am assuming that it came with a beefed up barrel. Here is a pic below:

abb1

there is a number stamped on the lug, thats the year of production

starting 15, the barrels should be the new type, if i remember well