Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some guidance with optics

MrRick

Just ordered an Armalite M15 VSR 18". I'm a big fan of Eotech due to ease of view. Even with astigmatism the reticle doesn't fuzz enough to bug me. My times improved dramatically going from a 1-4 scope to an Eotech. Where it sucked was in the long game. I only do local matches and the longest we do is 125 yards. Was looking at TA11F ACOGs (better eye relief) but the reticle does bother me, otherwise it would be perfect. Trying not to spend more than the ACOG. I added a Eotech magnifier to the Eotech (never got a chance to use in a match) but It was nice at the long game when being sighted in. The weight was too much though. I was using a Ruger SR 556 at the time. With the rifle loaded and Eotech and magnifier, the rifle was a hefty 13#.

Just ordered an Armalite M15 VSR 18". I'm a big fan of Eotech due to ease of view. Even with astigmatism the reticle doesn't fuzz enough to bug me. My times improved dramatically going from a 1-4 scope to an Eotech. Where it sucked was in the long game. I only do local matches and the longest we do is 125 yards. Was looking at TA11F ACOGs (better eye relief) but the reticle does bother me, otherwise it would be perfect. Trying not to spend more than the ACOG. I added a Eotech magnifier to the Eotech (never got a chance to use in a match) but It was nice at the long game when being sighted in. The weight was too much though. I was using a Ruger SR 556 at the time. With the rifle loaded and Eotech and magnifier, the rifle was a hefty 13#.

What did you have for a 1-4x before moving to the EOtech?

125 yards isn't very long at all. My first match was out to 225 yards and I muddled through with a Leupold Prismatic. The base shifted on me. That was my problem, not it being 1x. Therefore, I'm thinking some practice with the EOtech for 125 yard and shorter shots could be a better way to go. You said that the EOtech "sucked" for the "long game". Again 125 yards isn't long, but exactly why did you think it sucked? Exactly what was not working for you when you used it? Is it really a problem with your rifle's zero?

Edited by michael1778

I had a Bushnell AR Optic. Had no issues shooting 100-300 yards with this. Couldn't use it for close targets/

Let me rephrase that, I sucked with the Eotech at anything over 100 yards when trying to hit 8" poppers. I just couldn't really see them or see where my hit were hitting.

Was looking at this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/838626/valdada-ior-pitbull-tactical-rifle-scope-35mm-tube-1x4x-32mm-switch-power-1-10-mil-adjustments-illuminated-cqb-reticle-matte-with-medium-picatinny-style-rings

It has a large tube and very good field of view at 100 yrds, but the reviews that I'm seeing are not very good. To me that seemed like a good compromise. Trying not to do a red dot.

Edited by MrRick

If you don't bear the expense of travel, buy all the cheap scopes you want. Vortex has an AWESOME warranty, but you don't

want you use that warranty in the middle of a match that you spent lots on money on to go to.

That said.

1x optics???....Burris AR1x. Or Vortex Spark

1x4 or 1x6? AND you are only shooting local??? Vortex Strike Eagle is hard to beat for the low price point.

If you are going to travel ($$$) then step up a bit and go Burris XTR2 1x5.

If you don't bear the expense of travel, buy all the cheap scopes you want. Vortex has an AWESOME warranty, but you don't

want you use that warranty in the middle of a match that you spent lots on money on to go to.

That said.

1x4 or 1x6? AND you are only shooting local??? Vortex Strike Eagle is hard to beat for the low price point.

Spark or Spitfire?

That said.

Spark or Spitfire?

Spitfire...the reticle unit not the red dot.

Leupold VX6 1-6X with CMR reticle OR (wait for it...) the new BDC reticle with the daylight visible dot which you all find so important. Good enuff for Horner, good enuff for you.

(I still like the CMR reticle).

I know it is not the darling scope anymore, but for the money I have yet to find a scope better and more robust than the burris mtac. I think there is a reason that everyone knows about how good that Vortex warrenty is.....

Got to play with a few optics today. Was leaning towards a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 based on all the reviews I seen and the recommendation of others. Today I got to play for a bit with the Strike Eagle, Viper PST and Trijicon TR24. Liked the Viper more over the other, only complains is that the turrets are exposed and I found it hard to turn the magnification knob. Any one has this scope that can put their .02 in?

I've never payed much attention to the Vortex PST. I just remember when it first came out in 2011ish it was really popular as an entry level scope.

Then suddenly it wasn't so popular. I had at least two shooting buddy's sell theirs because the turrets got inadvertently turned between stages and they didn't notice until they were racking up misses on the clock on the next stage. I'm hoping vortex changed the design. Either way if your turrets aren't capped check and double check them before you give them the shooter ready nod.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I would prefer if the Burris turrets were capped! I don't see the need for the exposed units with a short range (5 or 6x) BDC scope.

Pat I wasn't disagreeing with you. I value your opinion and real world experience immensely. In fact I'm not the least bit experience with the current PST or Burris you mentioned. Do they maybe good to go. I just wanted caution everyone and to share the heartache I saw those guys suffer through. Ain't nobody got time to dat!

So there is a capped version of the Viper PST. I think I will go with that one. I think that will be good enough for club level matches. Thanks for your inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Riflescope-Reticle-Turrets/dp/B007YQCPOM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450444371&sr=8-3&keywords=viper+pst+1-4x24

Edited by MrRick

Leupold VX6 1-6X with CMR reticle OR (wait for it...) the new BDC reticle with the daylight visible dot which you all find so important. Good enuff for Horner, good enuff for you.

(I still like the CMR reticle).

Leupold has a new one out?

Im also interested in hearing about a new scope. Why can't Leopold make a firedot reticle with normal mil drops or some sort of BDC!? :mellow:

I would prefer if the Burris turrets were capped! I don't see the need for the exposed units with a short range (5 or 6x) BDC scope.

Pat I wasn't disagreeing with you. I value your opinion and real world experience immensely. In fact I'm not the least bit experience with the current PST or Burris you mentioned. Do they maybe good to go. I just wanted caution everyone and to share the heartache I saw those guys suffer through. Ain't nobody got time to dat!

And here I was trying to agree with you! We both feel capped turrets are better.