Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

flame cutting

bellyrubber

I think he means somewhere on page 207 of this fourm. I'll do a search and see what I can find? Perhaps annealing the brass??? I'm pretty lost here too... why I'm following. I have to know! WHAT'S IN THE BOXXXXX???

Perhaps, but it's his responsibility to tell us where he found this information so we can understand what he's referring to. Without that, we're throwing rocks in the dark.

Flame cutting was a major problem with the Model 60 S&W revolvers back in the day. The B/C gap allowed powder to "flame-cut" the top strap to the point that they recommended not shooting a steady diet of .357 Magnum ammo in that particular model. I had one and it didn't like too many Magnum rounds. Sold it ASAP after I found out the problem.

Flame cutting is the erosion, over time, of a revolver's top strap from the continued release of powder gases between the cylinder and barrel throat. Almost any revolver can be subject the issue with the passage of enough rounds. Higher pressures, as in magnums, accelerates the effect. I had a S&W M29 from 1968 that suffered severe flame cutting before its barrel forcing cone finally cracked. I have a Colt SAA in .45 Colt/ACP bought new in 1969 that shows flame cutting after enough rounds. That is the very reason that the Ruger .357 Maxi was discontinued, excessive flame cutting.

I think he means somewhere on page 207 of this fourm. I'll do a search and see what I can find? Perhaps annealing the brass??? I'm pretty lost here too... why I'm following. I have to know! WHAT'S IN THE BOXXXXX???

Perhaps, but it's his responsibility to tell us where he found this information so we can understand what he's referring to. Without that, we're throwing rocks in the dark.

So you're the one throwing the rocks....

Allen550 and blackhawk44 thanks for the explanation. If there was as much brains as attitude on here I wouldn't have had to wait 2days for an explanation. Thanks again

I would count yourself into that category as well. Just asking the question you asked begged for the responses you got...and now YOU have an attitude about that.

If you want a question answered, make sure the question is understood when you ask it.

Posting Guidelines

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

No trolling. No alternate accounts.

GrumpyOne

Even if this was a troll. It's pretty weak. As far as attitude, I think your comment had the most attitude of anyone else on this topic. We asked several times for clarification on your question, happy to help, and got nothing. After several attempts to get more information it sorta became a joke. If you want the right answers you have to ask the right questions.