Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pc bullet problems

hummerbk

I've been loading 175gr SWC with 3.5gr Bullseye and shooting them thru my Glock 35 and they have been working flawlessly. Probably shot 1000 rounds or so.

I ordered some PC coated bullets from the same manufacturer and loaded them exactly the same as the uncoated bullets.

The recoil is way less and I'm getting multiple jams per magazine. It stops with the shell angled up into the chamber. It seems as if it needs more powder to function correctly but I'm not sure. In my frustration at the range I did not notice if the slide was locking back with the PC bullets. Anyone have an idea what could cause this?

If it was the exact same mold/bullet, just powder coated, then I have no idea. I have only tried PC (powder-coated) bullets in 9mm/.38 and .45.

If feeding is a problem that usually means COL needs adjusting or magazine is bad.

If load just barely cycles gun, then you many need to up the charge by 0.2gn or so.

(Quote)
hummerbk

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

66 views and nobody had a clue. It turns out that PC bulles are slicker and don't stay in the case long enough for pressure to build up. The fix was bumping the powder charge to 4gr.

Actually PC bullets offer more resistance than plain cast lead and are harder to drive. The extent of this depends on the type (ingredients) of the powder coating. Most PC bullets I have compared were 30 to 70 FPS slower than plain lead with the same powder charge. This is why you had less recoil and a lower velocity and had to bump the powder charge to get back to where you started with the plain cast lead bullets.

Most PC bullets I have compared were 30 to 70 FPS slower than plain lead with the same powder charge.

Hmmmm, I've had just the opposite results. I have been charting velocities on .40 PC bullets and my velocities have been 30-125 FPS faster with PC boolits than the exact same load in lead.

Most PC bullets I have compared were 30 to 70 FPS slower than plain lead with the same powder charge.

Hmmmm, I've had just the opposite results. I have been charting velocities on .40 PC bullets and my velocities have been 30-125 FPS faster with PC boolits than the exact same load in lead.

Thats very interesting. I don't own a chrony but the recoil difference between lead and PC bullets was extreme. Similar to a 38 special compared to a .357, although not quite as much.

Bumping the powder up fixed the problems so I have to assume it was velocity related.

A lot would depend on whether or not the bullets were the same diameter. It seems that the bullet companies are all over the map

with differing diameters (all within 3 or 4 thousandths, of course) in the same caliber.