Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr RN?

TightLines

First off, I don't compete so making PF is not a specific concern.

I'm shoot for fun and have been using Xtreme 230 gr RN for most of my .45 shooting. Have a couple of boxes of their 200gr SWCs but they've proven problematic in all but one 1911. Some research after purchasing them showed that the Xtreme 200gr SWC profile seems to be especially problematic feeding in 1911s (more so than other 200gr SWC profiles).

Looking to place an order for Bayou Bullets (10% off today) and am considering getting some of the 200gr RN bullets. I'm hoping they'll feed as reliably as 230gr RN with the lower cost of 200gr.

Just wondering why more people don't shoot (or at least discuss) 200gr RN bullets?

Any input?

I shoot 200gr round nose from Beat Creek. I used SWC from various makes for awhile but found these and figured they would feed better though I never had much of a problem with the SWC's. Several thousand rounds later I'm sticking with them. These feel better than 230 and accuracy seemed to suffer with 185. Might just be me and my gun though.

I shoot either Montana Golds or Blue Bullet, but have always gone back to the 230 grains for the above mentioned reasons, less recoil to meet power factor is certainly one. I have found , and this is only in my Kimber and SA, that 200 grain bullets have caused more jams then the 230. I have tried adjusting OAL, but still had the occasional lock up. Not a consistent issue, but pretty fatal in a match. I need all the points I can get.

SWC is even worse, so it really depends on the individual firearm.

I've shot 200gr RNFP from Bayou and 200gr RN from Black and Blue. I mostly shoot them in Glocks though. If you don't care about PF, you can make some really low recoiling .45acp using 185gr or 200gr bullets.

BTW...I never tried Bayou's 200gr RN because I was worried the step/shoulder would cause SWC-like feeding issues and couldn't find anyone saying they were using them in Glocks.

Edited by njl

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Look at the bullets from David Long at Precision moly bullets in Texas. I just bought some more of his 200 gr SWC and have loaded thousands of his 200 grain RNFP bullets. They feed and are very accurate as well. His SWC are working great with those big holes I can actually see at 50 yards. Thanks, Eric

Never had any issues out of any of my 1911s with Xtreme 200 SWC. Even my CZ97 runs them fine. I quit buying them because the XDM I had didn't like them. I did found out that OAL is very important with SWC though.

The only 200 grain RNs I've shot have a lip on them that causes malfunctions in the same way as many wadcutters. With the RN, you should be able to load them however long your gun prefers, and have them feed the same as a 230.

For max power factor gaming, people like 230s. There's a cost of lead difference between 200 and 230, which generally doesn't enter into my preferences, but for some it does. Get a few cases of whatever your gun eats and go nuts.

I've shot thousands and thousands of 200 grain RN as well as 230, hard cast from Missouri Bullet for years in many different guns from Glocks with after market barrels, to 1911's to some Taurus model 45's I have. Never had an issue with any of them feeding. Check out Missouri Bullet and there is also another site called Badman bullets that sell batches of 25 round samples to try for cheap.