Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this a decent ar upper deal?

3djedi

What do you guys think about this upper combo?

I want to have a decent AR just for fun/SHTF zombie apocalypse gun..... I compete in USPSA pistol and don't really plan to get all serious into 3-gun but maybe play it once in awhile. And I know nothing about AR's......

Would this upper combo be good for what I am asking? Or should I spend a little more and get better quality stuff?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-ssk15-dmr-upper.html

Thanks!

Edited by 3djedi

I've never had bad stuff from PSA.... they sell a lot so it's less expensive. You gotta figure the barrel is only worth about $100 in that build so you're not getting a high end match barrel but sometimes you get lucky and get a good one.

The other downside is that the way they mount the barrel to the upper can be a bit too solid and hard to remove (depending on which barrel nut system they use - this means if you rebarrel it you may end up needing to cut it off.)

I think it'd be hard to find that equivalent upper for any less anywhere else but you can buy the individual parts you want and still come out a little cheaper but with better parts.

You can do even better buying used off forums like this one.

Edited by Frankly

Thanks guys. I kind of want to buy all the individual pieces just so I learn exactly how it all goes together....and thinking I want the piston driven system.....

I'm thinking if I wait until Friday there will be some great deals out there!

Oh, is 1:7 twist ok for the cheaper bulk ammo?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yea id look for a used upper for sure. Good quality uppers can be had for 4-500 all the time on here. All set up with lomass parts and all the wizbangs and a match barrel will be a bit more but ive seen many go for $700 or less.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Yeah it is a pretty good deal. Thr handguard alone is $219 on Primary arms. The upper is $69. add in $40 for a gas block and tube and you are within $25 of the cost of the upper. Check prices in an 18" wylde barrel and that is your savings. Cheapest 18" wylde i can find is $250 + shipping.

Yeah it is a pretty good deal. Thr handguard alone is $219 on Primary arms. The upper is $69. add in $40 for a gas block and tube and you are within $25 of the cost of the upper. Check prices in an 18" wylde barrel and that is your savings. Cheapest 18" wylde i can find is $250 + shipping.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/18-stainless-heavy-barrel-with-straight-flutes/

I picked one up about a month ago, except mine has the PSA rail. Is it great? I have no idea, but I stuck an old Bushnell red dot on it, sighted in, and was able to hit flashers at 300 yds in the match. I'm not a good rifle shooter but was able to shoot 1.5" groups at 100yds with that 55g American Eagle stuff in the black box from Academy.

That's a Wilson barrel. I've used quite a few. If PSA doesn't say it's hammer forged then it's lead lapped and air gauged. The hammer forged barrels are good but the lead lapped ones are shooters. I've yet to see one that wasn't sub-MOA with handloads. I've got one in the safe right now that shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards and regularly shoots 4" to 5" groups at 850 yards off a bag.

You'd have to spend a good deal more for a better barrel, unless you're shooting National Match or benchrest competitions I wouldn't think you'd need one. If I worked at PSA I'd immediately re-price those barrels and advertise them as match grade.

PSA uppers though are hit and miss. I've had to square a few to improve barrel fitment issues that were causing lackluster accuracy. But that's not really a PSA issue, that's just the roll of the dice you take with any non-CNC upper.

If you want to shoot cheap ammo (the lighter bullets), I'd look for a different barrel. Even the 1/8 versions don't usually like any bullet under 69gr.

Absocold you talking about the barrel in the upper that they don't sell separate? Or the one I liked to from different source?

And I'm glad you don't work there, they must be making money at that price so why slap match on it and gouge people?

Not bad but not great... I live less than 10 minutes from a PSA store. If you never heard anything bad about PSA then you haven't been listening.

I would not recommend buying any barrel from PSA that is not cold hammer forged. Never under any circumstances buy anything they sell under their "PTAC" brand... Total shit.

Sounds like maybe I should go a different direction...........

Do you guys have any recommendations for brands that are a good price / great value or best bang for the buck kind of thing? (for like the upper/lower/barrel)

like I said, know nothing about AR's. I'm trying to keep it around $1000 if possible.

Edited by 3djedi

Absocold you talking about the barrel in the upper that they don't sell separate? Or the one I liked to from different source?

And I'm glad you don't work there, they must be making money at that price so why slap match on it and gouge people?

Talking about the upper linked in the original post that started this thread.

Wilson isn't talking and the barrels don't say Wilson on them (they have PSA's name on them), but PSA has said several times that all their stainless barrels are supplied by Wilson. They get two types, the ones that are cold hammer forged are listed as such on their site. If it doesn't say it's cold hammer forged then it's button rifled, lead lapped and air gauged.

When someone asks me to put together a rifle that only needs to shoot one MOA, I don't rob a bank to buy a Rainier Ultra Match, Lilja, JP or Krieger. I look under the couch cushions for spare change and buy a PSA stainless.

I've had good luck with the psa uppers I've used in the past, and may order my 4th this weekend. I've heard the cold hammer forged are FN but the Wilson stuff is new to me.

One other thing to think about if you want to build it from scratch yourself is you need more than $100 in tools. I've tried the kitchen table builds and the vice mounts, blocks, and wrench really help

If I wanted a decent $500 first AR for plinking and general fun the PSA kits with Magpul furniture are great... $399 for a MOE rifle kit and a $70 lower and a cheap rear sight... good to go. Beats most of the off the shelf guns that cost several hundred more.

I wouldnt have an issue with it. Is it a super match grade upper, no. For your intended use of a fun gun and maybe dabble in some 3 gun it will work just fine. I would just add a normal full weight BCG and charging handle and run with it. Yes you can run light weight everything and spend a pretty penny. Does it offer a little benefit, yes. Is it really needed, nope. For maximim reliability, the full weight is gonna win out. Yes, tuned light weight gas systems can be reliable but your gonna have to keep them that way. Make sure it stays adjusted, the ammo all has enough gas to operate the gun in all weather(cold especially) the gun stays clean etc. the Full mass just shoot it and if its dirty oh well it will still run. For a comp the Miculek comp on the front is all I would really change on the gun. For the lower, you can take a standard factory trigger and with very minimal cost in some springs, a pretravel adjuster screw, cutoff wheel and some very fine grit sand paper your can turn a standard GI trigger a pretty decent trigger for like 25 bucks or less.

I think if a lot of people were truely honest with themselves, that upper would be just fine

well, I went ahead and bought the PSA upper combo. It's cheap enough that even if it doesn't work for what I want it's not a big loss.

How long does it take PSA to ship stuff out? I ordered on Black Friday and it still says "processing" six days later. I ordered stuff from Primary Arms on Cyber Monday and it was already delivered! I hate slow shippers......lol..

Edited by 3djedi