Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting 38spl down to 38colt shorts

JAB

Hi I have a ton of 38s spl cases im getting a 686 cut for moonclips and I remember some where that the spl could be cut down so there would be less wobble and easier to make reloads. If this is true whats the best way.

The Best way? It is one way if you have a ton of brass and lots of time it can be done. It has been discussed many times, pros and cons abound. If you are to go that much trouble it may be better for you to cut them down to 38 Long Colt to give you more choices of powder for your loads. I cannot remember his web name but Harold makes what he calls 38 minimum. Or 38 super length. Now the shorter the length the less distance the bullets move. Like the simple lever principle. I will try to search to see if I can shed some light. Later rdd

Cutting .38 Spl that short will be a major pain because the case starts tapering thicker towards the bottom. You would have to cut off, trim, deburr inside and out and ream the inside of every case. You are far ahead to just buy Short Colt brass.

I tried cutting (to mid length) and knowing what I know now would just have skipped that phase and got the short colts new.

So my vote is to do yourself a favor and buy 1K of starline 38 short colts, in stock now.

If you want, take the 38 specials and sell them to offset the cost.

Cutting them shorter does help with getting them to reload quicker, but barely.

Better than short brass, are properly fitted clips to your brass.

But, short brass that's properly fitted is the fastest.

Either keep or sell your special brass.

Buy a couple thousand rounds of starline short or long colt. It'll last forever and save many hours of frustration.

Additionally, having the matching starline brass with the matching moonclip will make the biggest improvment

I have cut down 38 specials. I cut Federal .38 special brass down to .900". No problems with case wall thickness. You trim them then deburr the case mouth inside and out.

To do the trimming I used a Forster Power Case Trimmer set up in my drill press.

This is a PITA to do.

I cut down all my 38 Long Colt to 38 Super length. I think I have about 4K in my bucket. I have not touched them since I started shooting my 929.

It was a pain, but it is a one time bad deal.

I used a Ch4D die that I cut down and a Dillon trimmer.