Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manually decocking SP01 bad for sear?

extremist

So, I've had my CZ Custom SP01 2014 with all the upgrades for a couple of months now. Have shot it in 2 USPSA matches in Production Division and an IDPA match in SSP. On all of these occasions I've manually lowered the hammer using the "pinch" method with no issues and have been perfectly comfortable with it. I like the first shot DA pull and it has caused my no problems with first shot accuracy.

So I'm at a local steel match today and come to the line for my first stage and go through the load and make ready process, lower the hammer and reholster. The RO (a AA Steel shooter, Master Glock shooter, I'm not sure what his USPSA rating is, but he's an exclusive Glock shooter as far as I know) then starts lecturing me about:

- You know that's bad for your sear to decock like that

- You know that if that doesn't have a FPB that you can have an AD when you draw your gun if you hit the back of the hammer on your draw

:blush:

So now I'm like - hmm, he's a pretty smart guy, what's up with that, and how come I've never heard that before from Matt Mink (who I shot with at Area 4), and all of my other CZ 75 SP01 fellow shooters that praised the gun highly before I bought it.

So I researched the CZ Forum and this Forum and read all the threads about how to safely decock FULLY (not half-cocked, boy talk about a never ending discussion), but I could find NOTHING regarding whether it is bad for the hammer/sear to do what needs to be done for decocking the gun.

I saw discussions and disagreements about whether it is unsafe to have the hammer resting on the firing pin if the gun doesn't have a FPB, but didn't see any evidence that it had actually ever happened.

So can someone enlighten me with real answers?

Is it bad for hammer/sear to manually decock the SP01 all the time?

Are you REALLY going to have your gun go off in your holster if you somehow hit the hammer on a draw?

Awaiting the gurus - :bow:

Thanks!
James

Have shot it in 2 USPSA matches in Production Division and an IDPA match in SSP. On all of these occasions I've manually lowered the hammer using the "pinch" method with no issues and have been perfectly comfortable with it. I like the first shot DA pull and it has caused my no problems with first shot accuracy.

So I'm at a local steel match today and come to the line for my first stage and go through the load and make ready process, lower the hammer and reholster. The RO (a AA Steel shooter, Master Glock shooter, I'm not sure what his USPSA rating is, but he's an exclusive Glock shooter as far as I know) then starts lecturing me about:

- You know that's bad for your sear to decock like that

- You know that if that doesn't have a FPB that you can have an AD when you draw your gun if you hit the back of the hammer on your draw

Is it bad for hammer/sear to manually decock the SP01 all the time?

Are you REALLY going to have your gun go off in your holster if you somehow hit the hammer on a draw?

Awaiting the gurus - :bow:

Thanks!

James

When this guy says "bad for the sear" is he referring to your pinch method or just decocking in general? And to answer both questions:

1). No; how else are you supposed to decock it?

2). Never heard of this happening. I read somewhere on the internets that Angus at CZ Custom has drop tested shadows at 12ft and they haven't gone off. You can interpret that info how you like, but I'm pretty confident when using my shadow at matches that I won't have an AD if I bump a decocked hammer on the draw.

As for the pinch method, just a word of caution that if you do use that method, make sure your fingers aren't slippery. I used the pinch method at my very first USPSA match and DQed myself because my hands were sweaty and the hammer slipped. Now I use this method shown below:

With respect to the sear, decocking is the same a firing it. All you are doing differently is stopping the hammer from hitting the firing pin, but that's after the sear has lifted off the hammer hooks.

As for the possibility of an AD from hitting a decocked hammer upon drawing, that's just plain wrong. If you look at the firing pin with the hammer decocked, it doesn't protrude through the breech. So, the firing pin never touches the primer and the hammer can't move the firing pin any further when decocked.

I also use a version of the rolling finger/Slavex method of decocking and think that's a safer way of decocking it versus the pinch method.

Hogwash

If you are not comfortable manually de cocking the gun, you have the wrong gun for uspsa production, shoot it limited minor cocked and locked

I said nowhere in my OP that I was uncomfortable decocking the gun manually. Read what I wrote again.

Hogwash

If you are not comfortable manually de cocking the gun, you have the wrong gun for uspsa production, shoot it limited minor cocked and locked

I said nowhere in my OP that I was uncomfortable decocking the gun manually. Read what I wrote again.

I meant if you believe him that manually decocking the hammer may damage you gun, than you have other options

Like I said, and others after me, if any of his opinions were true, the 75 platform would not be as popular as it is worldwide in the sport

Apparently the guy isn't that smart. I've decocked my CZ 1000s of times literally. In comps, in dry fire, in live fire and never had a sear related or any other issue. The guns just shoot and shoot and shoot. Buy hey he's a Glock shooter, ask him if he's broken a firing pin yet.

I have to agree that this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Manually lowering the hammer is easier on the sear than the firing cycle because your sear isn't even in contact with the hammer hooks. Also, you could never exert the amount of force necessary, during your draw stroke, to ignite the primer.

It's my opinion that the RO was wrong to even mention it, even if he believed it. You were under "make ready" and this is no time for an RO say anything at all, unless you were breaking a rule or asking a question.

Now that you know he was wrong, next time tell him...or ask if you're DQ'd for breaking a rule...... and then ask to be bumped down in the order so you can get back on your game.