Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Ammo

MaverickUF

I've yet to purchase a reloader, and am still searching for cheap bulk .45 ACP ammo for my Ruger P90. Cabelas has the cheapest Wolf ammo I've found (yet to find any substantially better deals on cheaperthandirt, etc.). Wal-Mart gets me for about $20/100 for Winchester... How does this Wolf stuff shoot?? Anygood??

I agree with Duanne.

I would add is that it is steel cased, Lacquered. This lacquer can on some batches be quite thick, and in the heat of the shooting can sometimes coat the chamber. This is hard to remove and can cause peoblems if not removed. In older guns I would be careful as the chambers can be a little larger than modern guns, so the cases do not obturate as well as brass. Gas cutting MAY occur.

Steel cased ammo is designed for economy not quality, and I only use it in chrome lined barrels.

I honestly would reccommend you buy a good brand that uses brass cases. If you stick to Winchester, R-P, CCI or Federal you are not only gentler on your handgun, you will also get a good supply of once fired (in your gun) brass that you reload. Whilst you will initially save money on the ammo with Wolf, you will have to buy brass for your new Dillon.

wolf will work great in the ruger.

shoots as good as winchester in my p97.

i havent had any issues with it in either the old laquered cases or the new poly coat case.

i do suggest you buy a reloader...its so much cheaper.

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll go ahead and get a reloader within the month... I shot trap competitively for years, and I know that the reloader paid for itself 10x in the course of 20,000rds. What do these Dillon's go for?? If I have a .45ACP Dillon, can I reload other calibers? (.38, .22LR, .25, 9mm to name a few of my other pistols)? Thanks!!

What do ya'll know about the CCI Blazer ammo? Nantchez has a sale, I can get 2000rds SHIPPED for $320 ($70 less than 2000rds of whitebox winchesters from Wal-Mart... That's $6.90/50 before shipping... Is this stuff anygood? Consistent/Accurate? Will my Ruger like it??

Blazer is fine but you can load 2000 .45's for roughly $150(not including initial brass cost, lead bullets) even much less if you shop around and it will be more accurate and not too hot of a power factor. That Blazer is real hot.

Various models of Dillon. Call Brian and ask for advice. Its the ONLY reloader to get. Over 90% of Nationals compeditors used a Dillon. Yes you can convert and load most pistol and some load rifle ammo.

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll go ahead and get a reloader within the month... I shot trap competitively for years, and I know that the reloader paid for itself 10x in the course of 20,000rds. What do these Dillon's go for?? If I have a .45ACP Dillon, can I reload other calibers? (.38, .22LR .25, 9mm to name a few of my other pistols)? Thanks!!,

dont think dillon makes a loader for that one yet :unsure:

QUOTE(MaverickUF @ Mar 28 2005, 07:39 AM)

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll go ahead and get a reloader within the month... I shot trap competitively for years, and I know that the reloader paid for itself 10x in the course of 20,000rds. What do these Dillon's go for?? If I have a .45ACP Dillon, can I reload other calibers? (.38, .22LR

.25, 9mm to name a few of my other pistols)? Thanks!!,

dont think dillon makes a loader for that one yet  :unsure:

If anyone can, Mike can.

I think the problem lies in the getting the dent out of the rim, I am sure the wife's kitchen mixer can make the primer compound up. :D

Blazer is also alloy cased?????

Buy CCI Lawman, Federal American Eagle or Winchester White Box. All good all cheap and reloadable brass.

I just have to mention, I've fired about 10,000 rounds through my Wilson 1911 using reloaded Wolf casings, and never had a single problem. I truly can't understand the problem some people have with putting steel casings in their guns "because it might damage the chamber" - but they'll use nickeled casings without a single thought. And nickel is harder than the mild steel used in Wolf casing.

I run Wolf ammo in a real Thompson pretty regulary and it works fine.

As a side note, we made steel cased .45 ammo during the Second World War. I wonder if the troops turned their noses up at it.

Cci blazer uses the worst lead mix I have ever seen, it will lead up a barrel so quick you cannot see the rifling, and is a beach to clean out

I would not shoot wolf ammo for free {try it send me 1,000 rounds, watch me give it away}{lol}

I would not put a steel case in my gun no more than I would use a steel brush to clean it with, brass was chosen not because we did not have steel, because brass flexes, and comparing it to what military once used is a moot point. Most are just kids, don’t know any different, and it is not there gun anyway, sure if it was all I had to save my life, but it is not, and I am not trying to kill anyone

Going by what the military does is not always a good practice, lowest bidder doesn’t cut in the real world, just the government

Cci blazer uses the worst lead mix I have ever seen, it will lead up a barrel so quick you cannot see the rifling, and is a beach to clean out

I would not shoot wolf ammo for free {try it send me 1,000 rounds, watch me give it away}{lol}

I would not put a steel case in my gun no more than I would use a steel brush to clean it with, brass was chosen not because we did not have steel, because brass flexes, and comparing it to what military once used is a moot point. Most are just kids, don’t know any different, and it is not there gun anyway, sure if it was all I had to save my life, but it is not, and I am not trying to kill anyone

Going by what the military does is not always a good practice, lowest bidder doesn’t cut in the real world, just the government

Wow! You'd probably love to watch me clean lead buildup out of my barrel with JB bore cleaner and 000 steel wool!

I just have to mention, I've fired about 10,000 rounds through my Wilson 1911 using reloaded Wolf casings

How did you manage to reload the wolf cases?

Wolf .45 casings reload just like any other Boxer .45 case. I've used them for reloads too.

There's a guy on another board (1911forum.com, IIRC) who says he reloads Wolf .223 casings. At just over $80 a case for the loaded stuff, I can't believe it's worth the time to reload.

Wow! You'd probably love to watch me clean lead buildup out of my barrel with JB bore cleaner and 000 steel wool!

Just knowing you use steel wool makes me cringe; I don’t think I could bear to watch you do it

Excessive lead build up is not a quality desired if you shoot 500 rounds a practice session, I bought 50 rounds some years ago ,the lead fowling was so bad I could not see much rifling

But it’s your gun, have fun

I just have to mention, I've fired about 10,000 rounds through my Wilson 1911 using reloaded Wolf casings

Wolf .45 casings reload just like any other Boxer .45 case. I've used them for reloads too.

There's a guy on another board (1911forum.com, IIRC) who says he reloads Wolf .223 casings. At just over $80 a case for the loaded stuff, I can't believe it's worth the time to reload.

What are you talking about? What ammo leaded your bore so badly that you couldn't see much rifling?

I will quote myself

I am not here to argue, an opinion was asked I give mine, if you enjoy it and it works for you then fine ,I see no reason for myself to put that cheap crap through my pistol when I can reload much better quality for under 60 bucks a thousand ,i tried it, did not like it all

I have never seen any "Boxer" Primed Wolf Pistol ammo, but they do have a couple of rifle loadings with boxer primed casings.