Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers

dervin

Hi RiggerJJ,

ummmm.

you know a combo of powder and bullet that makes major PF in a 9mm

without exceeding SAAMI +p pressures?

(over 165 is the number I think is major PF.)

Believe me, I would like the knowledge.

I am not thinking it is possible without exceeding limits in the re-loading data I have.

primers and cases are surprisingly plastic under the pressures caused by firing.

I know the Federal primers flow more than WSP primers.

so I can see it is possible that under additional pressure of 9mm major that the WSP primers may ooze a bit,

leading the reloader to consider the next step in hardness.

miranda

There are a few loads out there some that don't even exceed standard 9mm pressure. Well below the +p max.

That's lyman 48th. It's available free the full PDF version if you search Google.

Yep 9x21 same case capacity as 9x19 just seats the bullet further so load data is same.

Aa#7 gets a little use in open guns but not as popular as the main powders used.

Aa#7 on all 3 is over 165

those numbers look a little different from my memory of running through the lyman manual I have.

ummm 9x21 ?

now to hunt opinions about AA#7

oh!

thank you for the direction.

miranda

VV also publishes a 3N38 load with 147s that makes major out of my Glock 17. I use it for pin matches.

Hi Peterthefish,

It looks to me like I am going to have to find better search engines....

One of the things you and Garmil have pointed out to me is that I am going to have to sit with a calculator

to see exactly where the power factor ... factors out.

I had been doing them in my head and I am not always getting the right number.

I'd kinda like VV to state a pressure mostly to be able to guess how much more the data can be pushed.

I was told by many the the proper way to hunt wild pins out on those dry mesas

was to use a 45 driving a fat chunk of lead.

you like your results?

miranda

Hi Peterthefish,

It looks to me like I am going to have to find better search engines....

One of the things you and Garmil have pointed out to me is that I am going to have to sit with a calculator

to see exactly where the power factor ... factors out.

I had been doing them in my head and I am not always getting the right number.

I'd kinda like VV to state a pressure mostly to be able to guess how much more the data can be pushed.

I was told by many the the proper way to hunt wild pins out on those dry mesas

was to use a 45 driving a fat chunk of lead.

you like your results?

miranda

I use a 180 GR TC/FN 40 for stock class in pin matches, sometimes a 200 GR SWC 45 if I want to go old school.

For open I use my 9mm open Glock - slower powder and more of it works the comp better. Using a JHP like the Hornady XTP works just fine. My .357s are 158 GRs at 1100 FPS or so, my 147s get close to 1200.

• 1 month later...

darvin, you don't need to go to a SRP in 40, because it is so easy to make Major with a very safe load. If you are trying to stretch your powder, using a Magnum primer such as the CCI 550 is worth from 6-8PF over the CCI 500 depending on the powder used.

Primers for 40 cal major. A lot of guys tell me they prefer federal small pistol than cci. Is there s difference in them or am I ok with either.

There is a slight difference, Feds are softer. Try them both out to see what your gun likes. However, my general rule is to use Feds for minor and CCIs for my Limited/Open Major guns.

Sent from the range

Also, some pistols with really light triggers like the Feds. I see this a lot with Glocks and other similar pistols, a few of mine are like this also. My 2011s are not really sensitive to primer softness but most of my "plastic" SAs and revolvers are.

Also, I have never seen a difference in PF using different manufacturer primers in the same category (SPP) and very little or no difference between SPP and SPMs.

Sent from the range

I use them interchangeably with SPP in my many guns, never seen any ill effects, except that some guns might require two strikes due to the primer's extra hardness.

An extended firing pin is cheap insurance.

Agree. Cheap and anybody can put one in

Nevmavrick:

Yes, small primers in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/556. makes stocking components ever so simple.

If sending, I use Federal SP .45ACP brass, please !

I'll take whatever Steve doesn't want in the 45acp brass. :goof: