Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How flat IS "flat" shooting

selecw

I'm getting ready to shoot my Witness Gold Team in Open (I shoot Limited now) and have been experimenting with various loads.

At 15 yards the dot is typically jumping from the center of the lower A to "shoulder" level. Is this "flat"?

The dot resettles on the center, so the target ends up being a fist sized hole.

Looking at various YouTube videos, its seems to be pretty typical of an Open gun, but I'd like to heart some views.

Thanks!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat is an odd thing. Some say their guns run flat when they really don't and some have really flat guns that they keep changing parts and loads because they think the gun isn't flat. Go figure.

There is a thread already that has a bunch of info. I think it's called how flat is flat? Just search for flat

I'm at that point. Which is good. I see the dot moving to the shoulder at 1 o clock.

Or at least I don't "think" I see it moving outside the glass. I happens pretty fast,

Edited by selecw

I've just gotten my methodology dialed in with my slow mo videos shooting 720p at 240fps and I can almost guarantee your dot leaves the glass when shooting major PF ammo from a 9mm V12 GT. I have plans to post some in depth comp comparisons within the next few months and I'll show you what I'm talking about.

I've shot a lot of Open guns and I honestly don't think I've ever seen one that completely keeps the dot in the glass during recoil. I think some are definitely "flatter" than others, but I also think that the percieved flatness largely relates to how fast the dot lifts and returns and whether or not it returns to neutral. Also, there are just so many variables in play that it is difficult to get any real measure beyond that which is subjective. The real test is what the timer says.

I have two 2011 open guns and the dot does not leave the glass on either. At least not that I can perceive. They do little bounces up to the top 1/4 then come back to the place they started. I personally don't think "flat" is as important as consistent.

Well, the dot in my FFIII does not leave the glass if my grip is tight. I was just watching two open shooters at the last match. One was a GM with a custom 2011. I'd definitely say his gun shot flat. There was very little muzzle rise. You could see that he timed the dot, and he did shoot all snake eyes. The second was one of the S&W team shooters. He was running a tricked out M&P with a brass magwell, Tungsten guide rod and a custom comp. His gun did not rise one iota. I'm serious. I talked to him about it. He said he doesn't use a death grip, but his grip is strong. His load was 124gr over 6.6gr WAC. Didn't ask about the primer, and I forgot what brand of bullet. He just has everything dialed in.

Can anyone post a youtube video of an Open gun that doesn't rise at all? I suggest looking at the red dot to assess whether its rising, not the muzzle.

Let's take Chris Tilley as an example - you can clearly see here that his red dot tilts up while he is firing:

Edited by selecw

Before I figured out how to set up the camera I was filming at 80fps (standard video is 24fps) and the gun cycles in just a few frames.

The reason the gun looks dead flat in full speed video is that the camera might only catch one or two frames of the muzzle rising and each frame only lasts 0.04 seconds.

I've just gotten my methodology dialed in with my slow mo videos shooting 720p at 240fps and I can almost guarantee your dot leaves the glass when shooting major PF ammo from a 9mm V12 GT. I have plans to post some in depth comp comparisons within the next few months and I'll show you what I'm talking about.

Strongly agree. The dot is leaving the glass; the shooter just isn't seeing it happen.

All the guns in that speed shooter compilation posted above are absolutely leaving the glass.

I did own two gold team v12's in 37 super. They were among the flattest guns I've shot, but the dot still left the glass. For the record, I also have arms like an ape and a pretty serious grip.

Edited by R.Elliott