Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer slider not picking up a primer

Just got a used 550 and I'm having issues with the primer bar picking up a primer. I've isolated the problem to the fact that the bar isn't sliding out far enough. If I grab it after the up stroke it pops out the rest of the way by about 1/8th of an inch or so.

What is the trick to fix this? I've tried bending the guide rod but it hasn't fixed it.

Like the other guys said, clean and lube the bar and check the screws. Also, I had to use a headlamp and operate the press handle slowly to watch the primer bar travel backward early on with my 550 when it quit picking up primers. Seems a spent primer had gotten back in there and was interfering with the movement.

Ok so I realized I was using the large primer cup. Noobe mistake I know. However once I switched to the small primer cup it started missing a primer every 8 or so. after about 100 it now won't pick up a primer. I have to jiggle the bar once extended and a primer will fall in most cases, sometimes I have to jiggle it pretty hard to get one to fall.

Makes me miss my 650 which has been flawless.

Ok so I realized I was using the large primer cup. Noobe mistake I know. However once I switched to the small primer cup it started missing a primer every 8 or so. after about 100 it now won't pick up a primer. I have to jiggle the bar once extended and a primer will fall in most cases, sometimes I have to jiggle it pretty hard to get one to fall.

Makes me miss my 650 which has been flawless.

One of the reasons I sold my 550 and moved to a 650. I ended up having a bad primer bar that was somehow warped. Got it replaced and it was much better. I also bent that rod a lot to keep the pressure on more than spec

Also check the plastic tip at the end of the primer dispensing tube, blue for small and red for large, when they get too worn they can also cause misfeeds or cause difficulty in the primer slide picking up the new primer.