Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Vision

I changed my D550 from 9mm P to .38 Special the other day.

Although I have never had a seriously out of spec powder drop with the W231/HP38 I use in most non-magnum pistol ammo, not being able to see the powder in the case as I set the bullet makes me nervous.

I have heard of kluges to get a powder check die on the 4 station machines, and I don't mind seating and crimping a revolver bullet in one step but it seems inconvenient to get the bullet 'round to station 4.

So, does anybody here have experience with the Ammo Vision camera rig?

http://www.ammovision.ca/home.html

Or should I just carry on, trusting in the easy metering of Ball powder?

There are cheaper ways of getting the same thing, HF has bore scopes under $100, a mirror has been done too, maybe a higher position and decent lighting?

What powder and charge are you using? A switch from say, 231 to trailboss would make it obvious as well.

Ive loaded at least 70k 9mm with Dillon powder drops, most of that with TiteGroup.

So far, as long as I cycle the machine all the way, the powder thrower throws and at least my powder thrower has been stupid accurate with TG and 231 I believe is about like TG in its shape and loft so probably meters really well too. Ive NOT loaded with 231 in case that previous sentence made it seem like I have.

A double throw of powder is pretty hard to do in a 1050, and most pistol powders will fill the case in 9mm, even TG which is a stupid low loft powder. Maybe VV 310 or 320 could double charge.

The only thing is squib loads, which IMO, arent nearly as dangerous as double charges as long as you are aware of whats going on while shooting.

Running the ratchet(I personally DONT run them) on a 1050 helps out with making sure you are getting full cycles of the machine which helps avoid the non-charge situation and you would have to do something incredibly difficult to get a double charge on an auto advance press IMO.

So not trying to talk you out of a camera and screen to look into each case, I think its a cool idea, but I dont think its needed and just one more thing to watch when running a 1050. I cant pay attention hardly to what all is going on as it is with a case feeder, bullet feeder, powder thrower, primers, etc... all happening at once.

Jim is not a "new guy" to reloading and has a 1050 but is talking about the 4 station 550 in this case.

totally missed that. I think I read the post above mine and my mind put two and two together and got 11.

My overall statements still stand, although its EASIER to double charge on the 550, the Dillon powder throwers are very consistent at throwing powder to the point I dont worry about them NOT throwing unless its operator error. A higher loft powder could be the answer as well.

Inline has a light that fits in the middle hole and works great. I can see good and have never needed a mirror.

I stopped using the powder check and put the inline light in the hole it came out of. Shines the light directly down the case. :ph34r:

Bkreutz, sounds like a great idea but I don't feel I've been doing this long enough to give up the powder check. I try to watch every round but sometimes you miss one.

One of the best machinist I ever new was a machinist on a boat during WW II and could build anything from what was in front of him. One day I asked him how he had lost a finger (he only had 9) and he said "You know, I have worked my life around things that could rip my arm off and beat me with it and I lot my finger building my wife shelves for the bathroom."

So its not a matter of how long you do something that keep you safe, it's how you do it. I still do things like confirm powder charge, keep finger off trigger, etc.

Edited by jmorris

$180.00 plus shipping. LOL

Here is my $10.00 Bore Camera (from eBay) looking through a power die in my 650. Camera is plugged into a USB port on ad old, seldom used old netbook.

I'll be sticking with the Dillon Powder Check. But what ever trips ya trigger...

300.JPG

100.JPG

200.JPG

Jim is not a "new guy" to reloading and has a 1050 but is talking about the 4 station 550 in this case.

totally missed that. I think I read the post above mine and my mind put two and two together and got 11.

My overall statements still stand, although its EASIER to double charge on the 550, the Dillon powder throwers are very consistent at throwing powder to the point I dont worry about them NOT throwing unless its operator error. A higher loft powder could be the answer as well.

I've had two mechanical failures of the powder measure mechanism that caused no powder drop and taught me to visually check every case.

I've had two mechanical failures of the powder measure mechanism that caused no powder drop and taught me to visually check every case.

care to elaborate on what those two failures were?

care to elaborate on what those two failures were?

First one... the blue wing nut assembly at the bottom of the fail safe rod stripped and the powder bar was not consistently returning to pick up a charge.
Second one, hard to explain so I'll refer to the powder system part #'s.... screw #14023 backed out of the threads in 13940, but was still sitting in 14808. When seated, 14023 takes the stress of 97034 camming around 13793. Without 14023 seated all of that stress is transfered to the little eyelet extension on 13940 which broke. Only it didn't break all the way off so that it was obviously broken, it was just broken enough to let 97034 flail around without activating the powder bar.