Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how important is a warranty on an open gun?

Sandbagger123

i want to get an open gun for next season. much prefer used as i am not sure i will like it or not. seems like most of the custom guys offer a limited warranty while STI warranty seems to be lifetime. So how important is having a warranty on a open gun? I just don't want to buy one and it does not run and have to spend money on it in repairs and shipping

I believe CK is lifetime. After all the reading I've been doing after being out of the sport for a decade, CK or FGW is very likely to be my next. ;)

I have Springfield Custom Shop, EGW and MCM guns in the safe from "before" and the support from them was pretty good over all

MCM was fantastic

EGW just "good"

Springfield "good"

I think MCM was better because Matt just wasn't that big at the time and he could give me more attention.

YMMV :)

Edited by Chutist

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to speak with Bobby of CK / FGW yesterday after a match we both were at. I just bought a CK open gun in 9maj and was asking him about recoil spring weights and the abuse the frames take from the lighter springs and major loads. He said if it takes a #7 recoil spring for me to run the gun the way I need to run it and it winds up beating the frame to death he would fix it, and keep fixing it. It doesn't get much better IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't testify as to CK Arms warranty yet as I just got my 9mm Thunder Open gun but I can say that I have bounced emails back and forth with Matt several times asking questions that I could not find answers to and he has responded usually within minutes. Seems kinda crazy to me to answer a D...A..'s latest question at 8:30 pm on a Friday night when anyone else would have waited until normal work hours but I really appreciated it. The only other company that I have seen near that level of customer service is Dillion.