Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad idea to buy Pro Custom in 2015?

StraightSh00ter

I know the number of Para replacement parts is limited - is it a bad idea to get a new Para Pro Custom in 2015, or are there plenty of other aftermarket parts? What parts on the Para are not interchangeable with other 1911 or 2011 guns?

Edited by StraightSh00ter

From what I have read elsewhere (and I believe it was info directly from Remington about dissolving Para) Remington has tons of Para parts and will continue to manufacture them, and will also also continue to support and build the Para double stack under the Remington name. I wouldn't be concerned and have actually been looking to pick up a Pro Custom in 9mm myself for Steel Challenge.

Here's a press release from Remington, talking about moving Para operations to Alabama and keeping popular products and features, and honoring the lifetime warranty:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2015/corporate/remingtonannouncesparaintegration.aspx

:)

Yep, that is the the info I was referring to. :D

I picked up a Para Pro 14.45 after I had a problem with a Expert and had issues. They eventually bought back the expert since they could not get it fixed. Parts are a problem for them and if any issues it will take at least 6 months to repair and don't expect it to be repaired correctly. From my experience it's a bad situation right now. But knowing that when I picked up my 14.45 I did not intend to let them fix it and it has a sear problem. I planned on redoing it myself so I got it anyway.

No matter what the press release says parts are a issue and for now at least the double stacks are dead. New mags are not available from them either. Now wether the situation will change in the future there is no telling. But for now Remington has essentially killed Para.

Edited by Glockinator

I had been watching these for a long time ... and when the prices started dropping earlier in the year I jumped on one ... (a 16.40 in May) ... now ... I see them for almost $100 less than I paid ... but ... I don't care ... I love this gun. It has taken me this long to get a rig setup and the gun ready to shoot Limited. I did the usual ... put a 15lb mainspring in ... 14lb recoil spring ... big fat mag release button etc etc ... and recently slid in the EGW tungsten that I had been running in my Rock Island ... that alone left the trigger pull at 4.5 untouched and I touched the sear spring a tad for an easy 3lb.

I picked up two SPS 3011 mags ... one MBX and put Dawson extenders on the two factory mags. I even adjusted the lips on a 45 mag ... put one of the original factory basepads on it and it holds 16 rds and makes a great mag when you have to do one of those "shoot a few and a mandatory reload" routines. All the others hold 20 reloadable easy ... (but the factory /w Dawsons are a tad long to be legal for a USPSA match ... so they are "steel" mags .. and they hold 17 easy with the original basepads on them anyhow ... if you did want to use them).

I only have a little over 500 rounds on the gun at this time ... while making sure everything is 100% and finalizing loads. As you can see .... there isn't a mark on the gun ... (love the finish too).

For me ... this is the nicest "out of the box" (new) firearm "I" have ever bought ... I was impressed (honestly!! ... however ... YMMV).

There are a bunch of parts at Sarco ... and plenty of aftermarket out there (may put Dawson ICE on later or one of those Cape monsters from Speed Shooter for cosmetics/fun).

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/para-ordnance.aspx

You know ... for the money ... I would have to say ... get one!! -_-

post-61067-0-49496200-1445884208_thumb.j

post-61067-0-46524000-1445884219_thumb.j

I bought a Para Pro Custom 40 this year, I have 4 STI 2011 mags that run 100% in gun. Instead of welding up mag catch, I test fired a mag to see what would happen, bullets nose dived in to feed ramp. So there is always more than one way to skin a cat...If you hold a STI mag in your hand with feed lips facing away from you, the left side has a slight curl inward, I took a pair of needle nose pliers with gorilla tape on em, and bent most of the curl out of it so that when you placed a round in magazine there was a slight gap between the bullet and feed lip. The OAL on my reloads is 1.140 - 1.145. Have shot 4 matches with em and no problems....

I think it depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan to shoot something that you'll need more than two mags for, then you'll need to see if STI mags work in it or buy MBX mags. Like anything else, you may get one that runs 100%, you might not. I have both the 9mm and the 40, as well as a single stack expert. All of them have run near 100%. The 9mm will occasionally fail to feed ZQI or BrassMax, but it runs 100% with Federal, Winchester or Freedom ammo. The 40 had 3 FTF in the first 100 rounds and twice locked back the slide with a round still in the mag. It hasn't done it since then though. The single stack has run flawless the whole time I've had it. I've got about 300 rounds through the 40 and 45, 500 through the 9mm. I've been very impressed, and so have others, with how accurate they are.

I bought them thinking that if they had issues I would not send them back, I'd deal with it locally. Imho it's a great value, even if it had minor problems. I haven't done anything with mine other than clean and shoot them. As always, ymmv.

I would have to say it is a great idea to buy a Pro Custom in 2015, in fact I just bought my second one today. They are a great way to get a decent double stack 1911/2011 type pistol for not a lot of money since the prices seem to keep falling on all things Para. Decent magazines for competition can be had from MBX or SPS in Spain. Jump on one before they are all gone. When Remington comes out with their double stack I doubt you will be able to get a pistol outfitted like the Pro Custom for the $700-800 they are currently going for.

• 3 weeks later...