Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Tripp Corey Mag, anybody use them for 9mm?

2MoreChains

I just had a 9mm 1911 built for SS minor. Before dropping a couple hundred bucks on new mags I thought I'd try the Tripp Corey mags, the ones built on a 10-rnd 10mm mag body with the hybrid follower, that I use with my .40 1911.

Interestingly enough, they seem to be working just fine with my 9mm 1911. I also found I can load 11 rnds of 9mm in the Corey mag which appeals to my lazy side at make-ready. Plus the extra room in the mag bodies makes seating a mag loaded with 10-rnds pretty easy.

I've got about 500 rnds thru the gun so far using those mags. I have a match tomorrow so I'll see if it holds up under match conditions.

Anybody else do this?

Hello: If the feed lips will hold in the round then it should work just fine. I use 45acp mags for my 40 single stack with no ill effect. I just bought some Tripp 9mm mags and they are working great. If I like shooting single stack I may get some for my 40 single stack or buy a new 40 single stack. Keep us posted on how they are working for you. Thanks, Eric

Well, the .40 Corey mags continue to work with 9mm but I might have found an unforseen issue. I ended up shooting my .40 at today's match, but afterwards blew thru a couple hundred rounds thru the 9 as practice/function testing.

When loading at slide lock if you slam the mag in hard the top bullet has a tendency to bounce up and may wedge itself between the feed lips. The rounds all fed from slide lock but I'm worried that over time I may distort the feed lip dimensions of the .40 mags.

Sounds like a lot of you guys like the regular Tripp mags for 9mm. Has anybody ever called Tripp and asked if they can do for a 9mm mag what they did for the .40 Corey mags?

Are you just wanting 9mm mags that hold 11? I'm not sure what it is you want them to do. 10 is division max, & they already make arguably the best SS 9mm mag. Maybe you could use a 40 mag w/11 for make ready, then 9mm mags for the stage. I have 9,40, and 45 single stacks, tried all the combos on mags, and every time it ended up being a compromise that eventually had an issue, as you found. Mags are cheap compared to al the other costs in this sport. Just get the right gear for the gun, you will be happier when it all works. I really like my Dawson/Metalform 10rd. 9mm mags, and Checkmate 10mm mags for the 40.

Hello: Once the spring relaxes in the Tripp 9mm mags they will hold a tight 11 rounds. I have not tried to load them with 11 rounds and see if they fit in the gun with the slide forward. So far the Tripp 9mm mags are working well for me. I may try the Dawson's next but I have some other things to do to the gun first. Thanks, Eric

Really no need for longer System Mag in 9mm as the standard mag holds 10 and is easy to reload when slide is forward (speed reload). Longer mag body would get you an extra round, but it would not be any benefit in the shooting sports. My 2 cents....

Really no need for longer System Mag in 9mm as the standard mag holds 10 and is easy to reload when slide is forward (speed reload). Longer mag body would get you an extra round, but it would not be any benefit in the shooting sports. My 2 cents....

Agreed....

If it's the hybrid follower u are looking for, I'm sure they will do that, maybe for a small fee

I'm currently debating between Dawsons and Tripp 9mm mags as the way to go. I know one guy who have Dawsons and and another who has Tripps. I think some T&E is in order.

you can borrow a couple of my dawson mags if you want to test them out. im having a pinkie tendon reattached tomorrow, so ill be doing weak hand only shooting for a few weeks.

Edited by motosapiens

Also look at the new CMC 10rd. 9mm mag. It has the integral feed ramp and the channel in the front of the mag body like the Metalform "Springfield" mag, instead of the spacer in the back. It is 10 rd., instead of 9 rd. Brownells is carrying them I believe. I liked the Springfield mag that came with my Spartan, but didn't want to give up a round.

I tried 3 different 9mm brands before settling on the Tripps. Wilsons, Metalforms, and Checkmates all worked inconsistently with my 1911 9mm. The Tripps are 100%. The Wilsons were actually the worst which was surprising because their 45 mags work really well. The Metalforms and Checkmates worked OK but only if you loaded 8 or 9 rounds.

Hello: I shot my Tripp mags today and they even worked with 11 rounds in them if I used a round nose bullet or loaded long with JHP's at 1.170". I still want to try the Dawson's. The Springfield mags that came with the gun are 9 rounders and they work well and should be good for IDPA or Barney mags. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I had 3 Tripp mags. After borrowing a Wilson at a monster match and having a feed issue I ordered 2 more Tripps. They are perfect.

I also ran a .45ACP mag in that (monster) match. I modified the feed lips and follower to work with 9mm and the mag ran fine, although the intent was to use it only when absolutely necessary. I couldn't load it to max capacity because the angle of the follower wasn't right for the tapered case of the 9mm and I didn't have time to mess with it. I bought the extra Tripps since then.

I was thinking about making a long 9mm mag for shooting Limited in monster matches. We are allowed a 171mm magazine in Limited, which is almost 2" longer than the standard mags. I haven't figured out how many extra rounds that would hold yet though, or if its worth pursuing.

Edited by StraightSh00ter