Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Monster Match at Universal Shooting Academy.

I'm shooting production B at the Monster Match in Frostproof. It's got 8 stages with a total of 400 rounds, so I bought an extra mag and pouch (don't know exactly where I'm going to put it). Anyone got any tips? Should I expect anything unusual besides the contestants?

Thanks

I'm shooting production - 8 stages with a total of 400 rounds, so I bought an extra mag

Just doing some math in my head ....

Sounds like if you're a reallygreat shot, you will need to reload ONLY 7 times per stage ...

Of course, if you miss anything, or drop a mag or two during this all-day stage, you

could end up reloading 11 times per stage.

Sounds like "bought an extra mag" might not cut it ....

I'd buy a dozen extra mags and holders - just not sure where I'd stick them.

Good luck . :cheers:

p.s. You might want to check with the MD whether anyone else will be shooting

a 10-shooter at The Monster.

I didn't mention I already have 6 mags, so the other one will make 7. So as a production shooter I'll start with 71 rounds. 400 Rounds / 8 Stages comes to an average of 50 rounds per stage. I see a lot of production shooters on the squad list, so I assume it's going to be manageable. I was just wondering how the stages tend to be laid out, and if anyone has been a couple of times and could give me an opinion on the overall feel of the match. I went to the Florida Open last year and some advised to practice their long distance shooting. That was very good advice...

2013 stages.

http://themonstermatch.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Stages-TMM-2013.pdf

Being a production shooter I tend to automatically reload when I move. It's hardwired in my brain now, so I think perhaps for this match I need to practice hosing multiple targets while counting each shot and reloading while standing in one shooting position. Usually I try to program when to move without a reload. Counting is something my small processor probably won't be able to handle while I'm running around the crazy stages they setup down there. On the other hand I'm going to be doing it in a ridiculous costume, so what the heck... :)

The stages look great. I love these high round count matches. I wish I could go but the wife unit would have some serious objections.

Thinking out loud here, since the match doesn't follow USPSA guidelines already, wouldn't it be fun to change up mag requirements? 15rds for prod and L10, 10 rds for SS, big sticks in limited, limit open to 10 rds (ha ha)!!

Shannon's Monster Match is one of my favorite matches of the year...of course it helps that Frostproof is only a 1.5 hr drive. Wife and I shot this match SS more than once which was a lot of reloads and a lot of fun - and of course you shoot in costume! We run Open these days, but still need to reload of course with 50 round stages.

In any event, it's a great match to shoot if you ever have the chance.

If you didn't go you missed a good one. My front sight fell off on the first stage and I thought I was toast, but someone stepped up loaned be a gun and mags. The XD shoots better than mine ever did. The Canyon Creek trigger job had me shooting full auto on the first targets. No presetting this trigger... :)

Because I have no shame...... Enjoy :)

L10 here I think I only had to do 2 standing reloads. Though there were at least a couple reloads where the movement was shorter than the time it took to reload.

It was a fun match, not as hard as the last one IMO. I remember there being more partial targets in 2013.

Edited by PPGMD

I love shooting production and I kind of enjoy the added difficulty of having limited capacity but this looks like it would be a drag to shoot production in the match. Limited minor would be for me, for sure. The bus and rail stages looked really cool.