Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dream Camp Gun: Does Mine or Yours Exist?

Just a fun conversational thread here.

I'm sitting here thinking about what my dream camp gun setup would be (for hiking and camping... no zombie apocalypsis scenario, but you guys are welcome to join the conversation) and I'm not able to find an actual gun that fits my criteria.

1. .44 magnum chambering (so I can potentially share rounds with a .44mag revolver)

2. 16" barrel... or, basically, as short a barrel as I can get away with

3. Tube magazine that is as long as the barrel will allow.

4. Quality iron sights; ideally adjustable peeps

5. Pistol grip (as in a rifle stock pistol grip, not an AR type grip)

The Marlin 1894 comes as close I can find--and looks like a damn fine rifle--but isn't quite there. For years I've thought that it would make a cool base gun to do a custom build off of just for kicks. Anybody know of another existing gun that's close to my ideal gun that wouldn't require customization?

Anybody else have a dream camp gun or one that already exists? Let's hear it, or see some pictures!

J

EDIT TO ADD: Thinking about it, a .357mag version of the above wouldn't break my heart, either, especially since I have a sweet S&W686 that I could pair with it. Looks like Marlin makes an 1894C that is very close to my ideal, minus the good sights and pistol grip. Sweetness!

Edited by jkrispies

Here's an 1894SS44-LTD. They made between 250 and 500 for Davidsons years ago. 16" 44mag. I sent this off to Brockmans Rifles for an action smoothing and trigger job. It's one of those guns you'd never dream of parting with.

799c0a5bc88cbf3b3a70cb41db2d9ae5.jpg

I like the 94 Winchesters better as they will accept longer OAL cartridges than the marlin. A later model will accept a Williams peep easily so the sights will be as good as you will get. they will also accept a scope if that floats your boat. Cant help you on the pistol grip though.

Here's an 1894SS44-LTD. They made between 250 and 500 for Davidsons years ago. 16" 44mag. I sent this off to Brockmans Rifles for an action smoothing and trigger job. It's one of those guns you'd never dream of parting with.

799c0a5bc88cbf3b3a70cb41db2d9ae5.jpg

Ah, man, there ya go! Almost perfect! How many rounds does it hold in the tube?

I like the 94 Winchesters better as they will accept longer OAL cartridges than the marlin. A later model will accept a Williams peep easily so the sights will be as good as you will get. they will also accept a scope if that floats your boat. Cant help you on the pistol grip though.

I wouldn't rule out a Winchester at all! As far as the pistol grip goes, I'm sure that's where I'd have to look for a smith to find me a lever and modify a tang if there is one. I could do my own woodwork as far as that goes, and would enjoy the project.

I got a second hand beat up Marlin lever gun in .41 mag and sold it when I was going through a declutter phase prior to a move. I wish I hadn't now. It was a good all around truck/farm/camp gun and already had all the character scars. Given a chance (and the right price) I'd consider buying one in either .41 or .357 mag again.

And since we're sharing photos, it was stinsonbeach's custom .45-70 that inspired this thread. Perhaps he'll join the discussion with details...?

Didn't see photo? As I said, you are more than welcome to use anything I sent you ... pictures, quotes, etc.

Tried to upload a pic - nope - too stupid!!!

Whoa! Third time is a charm:

Whoa! ...again:

Actually had a pic up but got this msg. "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Well I give up . . .

This is a good thread.

I like what I'm reading here.

... & I sure would like to see some more pictures too!

Remember if you find that .44 mag octagon - find 2!!!

Edited by stinsonbeach

Sent Today, 10:54 AM

"jkrispies" -

Do & use whatever you like!

As you can see I tried & failed, failed again, then succeeded!

... but was castigated!

I have no clue about most of all that goes on around me - more to the point: why?

Things should just be easy, but nooo...

I got a second hand beat up Marlin lever gun in .41 mag and sold it when I was going through a declutter phase prior to a move. I wish I hadn't now. It was a good all around truck/farm/camp gun and already had all the character scars. Given a chance (and the right price) I'd consider buying one in either .41 or .357 mag again.

I am thinking the same thing. Was leaning towards the 357 since I have handguns in that caliber and it's less costly to shoot. No experience with 41 mag.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Look at the Ruger Camp Carbine in 44 mag. Basically a 10/22 setup in 44 mag...

I've heard of these! I've also heard that finding one for sale is next to impossible.

Gunbroker has quite a few for sale right now. They also made them in 9mm I believe.

I have the Browning produced 1892 Winchester in 44 Mag. Really love that gun with the 20" Barrel, the only down side was that I had to have gunsmith put a gold bead on the integral front sight. I believe that it was silver soldered on before they blued the gun. Mine has run like a champ as my main SASS rifle, but now is for hunting and knocking about. Not afraid to use upper end loads in it. Try looking at Cimmaron, EMF, and Taylor's under their 1892 section for different varriations. I think that the Pistol Grip might only be found on Rifles, not the carbines.

I know that my 20" barreled carbines will hold 10 357 and 44 Mags respectively.

Currently, I'm shopping for a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag for my son to use in SASS.

Edited by Modoc

My choice is a hand gun. I never want to find myself running for a rifle, leaning against a tree, that I have drifted away from.

My camp gun is a Ruger Redhawk, 44 mag. Stainless to be rust free, 2X Leupold scope and carried in a bandolier holster. I can work around the camp and never be unarmed, and capable of making accurate shots out to 100 yards.

Rossi has some nice options also. The main thing I don't like about the Marlin is the slow twist rate. The 250gr bullets are pretty much the limit.

I was thinking the Rossi too. No clue as to reliability or quality of these, but they look neat for a camp/hiking set up. I'd probably ditch/shrink that oversize loop though. 12" bbl, 24" overall.

RH92_57203_012.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPiAF0vx44