Alaskan454

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a stock 929 can shoot

9mm

Kind of

I like that statement, the big thing that has kept the 929 in the running is a Ti cylinder from the factory. The 627 with a 5" barrel is about perfect for what I like to shoot and I could get up and running right away and play the SC/LC game when time and funds allow.

Alecmc, it seems like your guns see a lot of range time. Have you ever had issues with the steel cylinders or just prefer the Ti?

It's not that the 929 doesn't shoot 9mm, it's just that it's not normal production 9mm from your other guns. It's longer usually.

I'm switching to 929s over my 627pc's with titanium cylinders. The one and only reason, the 929 is supported by smith. If I break a 627 ti cylinder, you can't get one. If I trash a 929 part, it's easy to replace through them. The 627s with short colt are a dream, and I don't think there's a competitive advantage to either gun. They both need special clips, brass, and deep primers.

And technically the 929 is a hair cheaper, not having to source and pay for ti cylinders is nice.

I'm switching to 929s over my 627pc's with titanium cylinders. The one and only reason, the 929 is supported by smith. If I break a 627 ti cylinder, you can't get one. If I trash a 929 part, it's easy to replace through them.

I would start ordering extra Ti cylinders if Smith will let them go. I remember when they were going to stop using Ti cylinders on the 327/627s, the owner here of the shop I work for order a couple cases of them. He put them on all his guns, and a bunch of employees bought some to put on their guns also. Now you can't find the 627 ti cylinders anywhere. I tried finding a 386 cylinder for my SSR at one time, nowhere to be found.

Any reason you prefer the Ti cylinders over the steel ones? Just curious.

I personally like the lighter weight of the titanium cylinder and the way they balance in the guns.

It's also been established that Titanium cylinders will last a bit longer in the cylinder stop notch "peening" department.

Also, some believe you can get a lighter trigger pull with a Ti cylinder, Less rotating weight / mass , etc.

I personally like the lighter weight of the titanium cylinder and the way they balance in the guns.

It's also been established that Titanium cylinders will last a bit longer in the cylinder stop notch "peening" department.

Also, some believe you can get a lighter trigger pull with a Ti cylinder, Less rotating weight / mass , etc.

That is a concise summary of pretty much everything I've read on the subject. It would be nice to compare two guns side by side with different cylinders in person but I'm sure I will get both guns eventually. It just takes time and $$$

I prefer the titanium for the reasons Alec said, lighter rotating mass, and balance.

I'm not planning on buying spare 929 cylinders, but they are currently a regular part for them, so they have them for warranty replacement if I need one. Besides, if smith quit building 929s with ti and went to steel, a cylinder of that length is roughly the same weight as the longer 627ti cylinder. If I remember correctly, the 627ti weighs 5.0oz, and the unfluted 627-4 steel was around 5.6oz as opposed to the steel 627 that was 9-10oz.

I don't think smith ever made a titanium cylinder that was compatible with the 686, I think they were all 7 shot. Maybe they did.

Edited by MWP

I'm not a regular revolver shooter, but I do have a 986 and have some experience with the 8-shot revolvers as well. I strongly recommend going the 38SC route. I won't contest that many 929's are fine and run out of the box, but their track record is inconsistent. I'll even add that my 986 had to go back to the factory due to the lockup being so far out of spec; the gunsmith I work with said it shouldn't have ever left the factory. All that said, the tie breaker for me was loading. Other folks may have a different experience, but I found the 38SC brass/moon clips to load faster and more consistently than any of the 9mm revolvers. I'll be making the switch to an 8-shot 38SC next year. Good luck with whatever you decide, revolvers are fun and worth the effort!

I should have made a poll for this thread, it seems about 50/50 on what everyone prefers. I decided to start loading some 120-130 PF loads for my 625 and I will play with that for most of the 16' shooting season until I have cash for the 8 shooter. By that point I might actually get a chance to shoot or handle some 627s and 929s. I appreciate everyone's input so far.

I have to say the .035 TK moons for 9mm are amazing. I need to get as close as I can to those for Short Colt. Whatever you do, don't base your expectations off the factory moons. I use them for Steel Challenge and that's it.

I have to ask, what is it that is amazing about them compared to the factory clips? Tighter fit for the brass you have ? I can't justify spending a billion dollars on moon clips when the cheap ones go bang. I'm curious what would I benefit from switching to the more expensive clips?

I have to say the .035 TK moons for 9mm are amazing. I need to get as close as I can to those for Short Colt. Whatever you do, don't base your expectations off the factory moons. I use them for Steel Challenge and that's it.

I have to ask, what is it that is amazing about them compared to the factory clips? Tighter fit for the brass you have ? I can't justify spending a billion dollars on moon clips when the cheap ones go bang. I'm curious what would I benefit from switching to the more expensive clips?

I took this picture a while ago when I was shooting 38 special, but it goes to show you what that cheap factory clips vs a quality clip like hearthco can do.

8174154617_3f13cbef2f_z.jpg

8174187370_73d6ab9ab7_z.jpg

The cheap ones go bang but it sucks trying to put 'em in when time matters. Besides, you'll spend less on moons than M&P mags, round for round.

Revolver shooters are cheap. We'll spend over a thousand bucks on a gun and complain about the cost of moon clips.

And those of us who shoot bottom feeders too won't hesitate to drop $400-$500 on a few tuned mags, but won't spend half that on 30 high quality moonclips.

Revolver shooters are cheap. We'll spend over a thousand bucks on a gun and complain about the cost of moon clips.

Hey I resent that! :roflol: I spent 50% of the cost of the 627 on Moon Clips and happily. Got em from Dave himself, and money well spent.

I figured it once and it came out I had the same amount spent on 627 Moon Clips, 1911 Mags, Glock Mags and STI Mags.

The big difference is I can load a whole Nationals Match with Moon Clips 2x over for the price :bow: . Can't do that with the bottom feeders.

So Frugal I stand for,

That's because we know we'll have to buy more guns... they can't all stay perfectly tuned all the time. :unsure:

And when we can't find one of the very limited production PC guns for 6 months, we know we are going to have to pay through the nose for it when somebody posts one on gunbroker.

I view moonclips or speedloaders just like magazines. Some factory mags run $50 or more a piece and most people will require at least three. I have no problem spending $$$ on quality moonclips, especially since I like to bring 100-200 rounds per gun to the range and that means I can load all of them before I leave. I probably have 700+ rounds in loaded moon clips for my 625 right now.