Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 vs R8 - First 8 shot

Alaskan454

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on 8 shot guns, I don't currently have one and would like to get one some time in the next 6 months when funds allow. I'm running a 625 at major PF in IDPA/ICORE/USPSA and would like an 8 shot minor gun for the latter two. I've narrowed down my choices to the guns above and I like that the 929 has a Ti cylinder and is 9mm native, but the R8 can shoot 38SC up to 357 and is clearly the most versatile. Also, I want a gun that I could easily swap optics/irons and the R8 system would be just about perfect for that. Everything I've read on these guns implies there will be an adjustment period to get the 929 running with 9mm or the R8 with 38SC so I'm not seeing a clear winner yet. What do the seasoned shooters on here think? I know several of you likely own both and may have run into some things I haven't considered or read about yet. My only experience with Ti cylinders was a 329PD and it had some longevity issues after 1K rounds of 44 mag so I ended up selling it. My 625 has had many thousands of dry fires and probably 4-6K rounds down range, peening hasn't been an issue yet but I'm still checking up every now and then.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 327s are usually not as popular because of the lighter weight for USPSA. The are very popular for revolver shooters in steel challenge. Not to say they can't be fielded just fine, but some worry about the wear on the alloy frame as well.

Both guns will require action work equally, but they should also run just fine too. It sounds like most have worked out whatever kinks were discovered with 929s, and short colt always works.

The 327s are different from the aluminum J frames in that there is a steel bushing on the breech face for the center pin of the cylinder. This steel bushing should prevent much of the wear experienced by the smaller airweights with high mileage.

I stick with my 327 exactly because it works. I got it because "ooo pretty," and I understand that the 627s are generally more popular for USPSA and ICORE because of the weight advantage for second shots. That said, if I were going for some kind of rational decision factor I'd be all about the 627 -- any reason it's not under consideration for you?

I'm also firmly on the Short Colt train because of the 929's numerous documented hiccups and the fact that after buying Starline once you're good for quite some time. Special can also help stretch that out if you have a serious desire to compete in Steel Challenge, and especially if you're like me and already have a few quarts of brass.

I'm not opposed to the 627, I just thought I'd like to try the reduced weight of the R8 if I went with a 38 platform. I've also been reading about guys who run 38SC in the 929 so I'm open to that idea as well, I'd segregate my brass once it's fire formed and only run it in that gun. I'm leaning towards the 929 since I have other 357s but none with an 8 shot cylinder and wouldn't likely run much 357 through a gun set-up for minor loads anyway. I think I just talked myself out of the 357 models but we'll see.

I heard that but wasn't sure if it was due to already having a well sorted 627 or actively choosing between 38 and 9. Obviously the guys who finish in the top 10 have been shooting much longer than the 929 has even been available. That said, converting a cylinder to 9mm isn't terribly expensive so I feel like the top shooters would be doing it more often if there was a clear advantage.

I heard that but wasn't sure if it was due to already having a well sorted 627 or actively choosing between 38 and 9. Obviously the guys who finish in the top 10 have been shooting much longer than the 929 has even been available. That said, converting a cylinder to 9mm isn't terribly expensive so I feel like the top shooters would be doing it more often if there was a clear advantage.

I see no advantage converting a 627 cylinder to shoot 9mm when 38 short colt brass is on the market.

That being said, I'm a fan of 38 long colt.

Additionally, owning both a R8(TRR8) and multiple 627s, the only time the 327s come out to play are for steel challenge matches, not saying a 327 wont work. There are just better tools for the job.

I see your point, I'd probably be faster with a heavier gun to keep the muzzle rise to a minimum. I was measuring some of my 9 and 38 bullets after you mentioned long colt and it looks like I could load a 158gr in LC cases at around the same length as my current 45 loads.

My goal, 9mm. I shoot lot's of it. I have 2 x 929's, one w/a red dot & one iron sighted. I shoot 9mm in ICORE, 9mm Glock's, in GSSF, AR15 x 9mm, JR Carbine 9mm, 2011 in 9mm. I had initial problems with the 929's mostly of my own making.... (I had the moon clips EDMed locally and wanted them tight...too tight it turns out.... and somewhere along the line my 9mm LEE "U" die sizer loosened in the Dillon press and I loaded a wad of ammo up. (Still case gauged). Some days the 929's ran just fine , some days I got the "sticky" case business...I can pretty much use the same load in everything, (9mm major for the 2011 would take it's own major power factor load should I do this). I sold both my 627's (was shooting short Colt). No problem with either.

Neither 929 was a Factory problem child and the 1st one was reported to be from the initial batch. Yes, we tinker, before even firing it the side plate was off and internals were polished and springs changed, etc.. I use the AA holster and have a Glock insert and a S&W insert (2min. swap).

I guess depending on the barrel's groove diameter I could order a 929 and then fit a 357 cylinder later on if I really got the urge. After looking at the load data and bullet selection 38LC seems to be the most versatile to make PF but it can still be done pretty easily with the right bullet in 9mm. I'll probably end up with whichever one I can snag for a good price when the money is there.

I guess depending on the barrel's groove diameter I could order a 929 and then fit a 357 cylinder later on if I really got the urge.

I'm not sure about that. I believe the cylinder on the 929 is shorter. I have 929's and load 9mm for production and revolver. I'm thinking you should stick with a 627 if you already have other .357's...less bullets hanging around unless you load volume for a 9mm already.

Part of it is that I'm loading for a lot of different calibers and there is no clear winner in terms of volume right now. I shoot more .45 than anything else but it's divided into ACP, Colt, and Casull over a wide range of bullet styles and power levels. The main reason I was considering the 38 was due to reported issues with 929s and it seems most people have figured out ways around that now.

Haha, I've heard more than a few complaints about the "performance center" and 929s. My 625 JM was the roughest DA I've ever bought so I don't expect much aside from the assembled parts that function. After the usual working over it's now an excellent revolver. My GP100 work horse is the only smoother action I've felt but it's had several iterations of trigger work and thousands of rounds.

What bullet weight and c.o.l were you using? I've seen a lot of guys running heavy 147-160gr out long to reduce pressure.

I run a 147 coated bullet.

Like a blue/bayou/bbi. .356

I also run them short 1.125. They reload faster.

3.5 of n320

And I don't have issues with my 929..

I shot 160s but didn't see the point. My accuracy was good with the 147s and I like a faster bullet. The snap doesn't bother me. I've been working on a 125 load with my son's 627 and like it a lot.

Mike

The 929 cylinder is .05 shorter than a normal cylinder.. It's the same as the 38 super guns..

Mike

Maybe the 38 super guns are .05 shorter, my 929 cylinder is ~ .15 shorter than my 627.

That said, you could turn a 627 cylinder down a bit more than that before you get to the end of the throat.

Edited by peterthefish

I've been considering picking up an 8-shooter as well to start running in USPSA and ICORE (assuming Limited 6 division doesn't come about). My thoughts were to go 627 (especially a SS v-comp if I could find one for a decent price) just because of the heavier gun, but I've shot numerous 327s and running short colts in them is nice. I haven't even considered the 929 because just like Alec said the LC and SC are available and make loading just as easy as 9mm. The other reason, is that all my other guns can run the same ammo that I would load for it. If I were loading for a 929, that would be the only gun that that brass would see. I personally see more versatility of the 327 or 627 over the 929.