Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magwell?

aandabooks

I don't want to have to remove the backstrap as it matches the gun and I don't know that I'll be able to find one to match. What magwell can I go with that won't make it so I need to change the look of the firearm?

I'm thinking that my best bet would be a Wilson Combat that goes under the grips. Here is a pic of the mainspring housing.

post-49618-0-73271200-1443755220_thumb.j

I use these brand of magwell but you will either need to buy grips to go with them or do the work on your own grips to make them fit. They do various sizes of magwell

depending on what you wish to use the gun for.

http://techwearusa.com/product/solid-black-mil-tac-g10-diagonal-pattern-grips-only-slotted-for-techwell-system/

Edited by terrydoc

Clark used to sell the Barrett Magwell. You might still find one in eBay. I have it on one of my 1911. It works just fine, but definitely not the best looking.

Or you can get the Archangel grip panel magwell.

228315_ts.jpg

The Arcangel works very well, and can be cleaned up with 600 grit sandpaper when it gets dinged up. That being said, if it's for a game gun, don't handicap yourself with a smaller magwell, when a larger legal one is available. I have a Dawson Ice Magwell (mainspring housing does come attached). A competent 1911 gunsmith can weld and blend a magwell to match your aesthetic. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for.

In looking around I am leaning toward the Techwell. I have a Dawson Ice for my SigMax and like it quite well. Looks like a solid system with a wide opening. Will I need extended basepads on all my mags if I go with the Techwell?

I have mills at work and already have a jig for milling grips. I played with making some aluminum grips last year. I don't figure it will be too hard to relieve some material out of the back of the VZ grips that are on the gun.

There is a tutorial on the forum for doing VZ grips try this link.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121399&hl=techwell#entry1675540

This is a modified Techwell (IPSC) XT version fitted to my 9mm Nighthawk using Dawson EMText base pads on Wilson EMT mags (pic 025) and the Wilson factory base (pic 025)

post-55266-0-91195400-1443934148_thumb.j

post-55266-0-75761000-1443934568_thumb.j

post-55266-0-83585700-1443934817_thumb.j

Edited by terrydoc

Are there any particular downsides to the Archangel grip magwell, other than perhaps it's not the prettiest looking option? I've got several irons in the fire right now while I'm getting my 1911 set up (other guns, paying bills, restocking ammo) and it looks like this would be a decent way to get something going to shoot now rather than putting it off until more money comes in. The price difference I can put into 2-3 more mags which I think anyone here can attest that a 1911 needs plenty of.

Edited by yellowfin