Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mount hight for 3gun

JatCarver

Ive shot the last season with the standard AR hight mounts with a Razor 1-6. I noticed a lot of guys are using a higher (1.9") mounts for 3 gun style shooting, a lot of the top guys are using this style.

What are your experiences and what are your recommends for a mount.

Side note: I'm also looking into switching to a fixed stock with adjustable check weld from the B5 bravo I have now.

I started using a 1.93 Larue mount recently, with a Luth AR stock. The advantage is it allows a more "heads up" position on the gun, which is more comfortable in my opinion. I really feel like I'm hunched over when using a standard height mount. You definitely will need the adjustable cheek piece with the high mount. The Luth stock works great in this application and is half the weight of a PRS, and also much cheaper.

I use a high Larue 1.93" mount as well, and specifically don't use the adjustable cheek piece. 1) because it flexes and 2) because it defeats the point of having your head more vertical

"Heads up" is a good thing because the field of view is better when you're not tucked in tight but the point is to "see faster and better" and field of view is only part of the equation. To optimize this you'll want your head as upright as possible instead of canted or tilted because the more horizontal your eyes are to the course of fire, the faster and easier you're going to see your sights, the target, and transition between targets.

I think this is one of those things that is not necessarily a "Because the top dogs are doing it it must be better" category. I think your body build, technique, and stock choice will determine which height will work best for you. If your using a 1.5" mount now, it may be worth your while to try a 1.93 and see if you gain anything. I do not shoot nose to charge handle, and use a predominately heads up technique, but when I tried a 1.93 found it was too high for me and was always stretching or shouldering the stock too low in the shoulder pocket to see straight thru the scope. For me the 1.5 is about perfect.

• 5 months later...

I beg to differ, up close nothing beats iron sights!

I see this as once again a piece of gear that is trying to make up for bad technique. Nose to charging handle creates the low head scrunched shooting technique along with square to the target stock on pec, so now we are going to move the sights higher to make up for it. The closer the sighting system is to the bore, the better off you are, but I know that won't convince any of you bent on spending money on "skill".