Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading manual (book) with process details?

StraightSh00ter

I have a Lyman reloading manual which give a nice, general overview of the history and process of reloading as well as load data. I don't think it offers that much detailed information about what to do or things to look for. Is there a book or manual that focuses mostly on things to do and watch out for, as opposed to load data? Or are some of the standard manuals better than the Lyman in this respect?

Initially I thought I was going to get a Lee manual with a press but ended up going a different route. Is that one particularly worth having?

Everything I know about reloading I learned from this forum and youtube :)

I also did not find the Lyman manual at all useful compared to the amount of info on this forum.

Yeah I second that. Most of what I know came from the internet. Just be careful like always check and verify. That being said this and the highroad are two of the best forums on the net.

Multiple manuals is the way to go. I have many manuals and they all offer some piece to the puzzle. If you are going to focus on loading an AR, the Sierra is the way to go. The Lyman is good if your into bullet casting and their shotshell reloading book is the best IMO. The latest Hornady has a lot on headspace, the older Speer is big on neck sizing...IMO the Lee is far from the best but worth having, it seems to have some unique perspectives.

There are some advanced reloaders on this forum and others. Some of the stuff on youtube can be on the scary side (mostly noobs) but I have indeed learned A LOT from youtube as well.

I have never used a book that focuses primarily on reloading with little or no data.

Thanks. I saw some stuff in the ABC's Of Reloading (Grennell) that looked pretty good, so I bought a used copy. I guess what led me to post here was thinking about case condition and crimping. I'm sure there's plenty of info out there, but it would be nice to have a reference near the press. I liked the illustrations in the ABC's book for headspace, and particularly the plots of headspace, fill volume, and velocity.

From what I could tell the Speer manual looked pretty good too. I'm sure I'll end up with a few references - they're not a lot of money and reading different perspectives is nice. Of course there is plenty online including load data for the rounds and powder I want to use (probably all on this site).

reloadingbooks029.jpg

Winchester Press
copyright 1972
ISBN 0-876791-046-0

This is one of those classics that every new loader should read and have on their shelf. Has all kind of great info in it the chapters on how powder is made. Along with the inherent problems in its manufacture, Since it really hasn't change in a long time it does shed light on what can contribute to the shortages when the plants have problems.
From history and development of the hobby to the basics and primers, bullets,smokeless powder,all the steps. load development,and so much more rifle, handgun,black powder and shot shell loading. There are also numerous charts,tables,and reference materials. He does cover the manufacture of powder and artillery shell powders.

Being new to the hobby this book was suggested by a couple of members on a forum, I did find a reasonable priced copy on Amazon books. As with a lot of older titles some sellers think they have a gold mine and charge accordingly.

You may have to search and wait for a copy to be come available, but it will be worth the wait.
I learned a lot had questions that I didn't know I had answered before I formed the question. And I enjoyed the read greatly, thyis is one that I will reread sections over and over in the future.

And as said a couple of times before ABC's of reloading

reloadbooks017.jpg

reloadbooks016.jpg

I will also add that I am a book junkie so I have all the current data manuals, along with a classic or two. You can learn something from each of course if you are a mind too.

Knowledge is power, and the more you have the better one can enjoy the hobby. I buy used, and what are called remainder books from one of the largest dealers. They have them up to 80% off list price. Along with lost of books on guns, hunting and fihisng. Among just about anything or subject you can think of. along with DVD's and CD.

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/online_catalogs?utm_source=erhbc&utm_medium=print&utm_content=%2Fhck&utm_campaign=hck Great source for books on most subjects, Firearms&knifes are in the hunting and fishing section

http://www.addall.com/ the best world wide Book Search and Price Comparison

http://used.addall.com/ If you are interested in only used and out of print books.

And of course Amazon books for new and used is also a good source and a better deal if you have prime. I also understand that a lot of people won't want all of the books on a subject, but if there is a list of what is available out there people can pick choose what best fits their interest

Complete Guide to Handloading by Phil Sharpe is very good, the load information is good if you have some really old powders. It's an older book but the historical information is comprehensive and very good.

You'll have to check on Amazon or some of the sites mentioned above to find one.

Here are two in a series, of load books by http://www.loadbooks.com

reloadbooks003.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

As you can see from the covers they are plastic spiral bound lay flat books. and what they cover as far as the powder and bullet makers info. It also shows the number of loads,bullets and powders inside them
I will warn people that there are a couple pages of advertising from the some of the manufactures on the cover.

And they do have a nu,ber for off mainstream cartridges.

Everything you want for one cartridges.

The Weatherby book cover many Weatherby cartridges. There is one on T/C contenders, covers about 25 unique cartridges, a must have for contender collectors.

IMG_0015.jpg

This one isn't for data or load info. It is about getting started in reloading of metallic cartridges. Covers tools, equipment, tips and tricks. Great color photo's and it covers all brands. It generally is on sale @ hamilton books for a nice reduction in price. See my post above for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything I know about reloading I learned from this forum and youtube

I also did not find the Lyman manual at all useful compared to the amount of info on this forum.

Same here, I did some reloading back in the 80s, but that was single stage.

• 2 months later...

Here is a new one you may find of interest

FullSizeRender%2026_3.jpg
FullSizeRender%2051_3.jpg

Gun digest books
ISBN978=1-4402-4531-2
Trade paperback
copyright 2015
Philip P Massaro

This is the new edition with the latest trends, and has a catalog of components, and equipment from most of the major brands. The information half has full color clear and bright photos. the catalog section has clear B&W photo's
The editor has a number of books on the art and science of reloading. I enjoyed the read There are a number of specialized sections that have no interest for me. So I skipped them.
16 featured stories, on wild cats, ackley,s parent cases, classic hunting revolvers. Along with stuff for beginners and old hands.
There are two book excerpts, and metallic and shotshell reloading catalogs.
It can seem a little pricey At the suggested retail of $34.99. But on the ZON with prime it was around $26.99 Gun Digest Books.com has stuff on sale right now.

All in all I found it to be worth it for me.