Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt face pitting

usmc1974

I have a Savage 10 FCP in 308 I got it new fired about 400 rounds though it all 100 new lapua brass then I reloaded the brass a couple times with a 175 bthp and 44 grains varget. rcbs dies no crimp 2.830 WLRP. Should the bolt face look this ruff.

savage%20bolt%20001_zpsrplbw95h.jpg

That's way too much wear for such a low round count. Looks like primer leakage.

Check the fired ammo to see if any of the primers were pierced. If they were, most likely you have too much firing pin protrusion.

If they are not pierced then most likely the primer pocket on the brass is out of spec. Either worn out, a manufacturing defect or was too aggressively reamed.

Leaky primers, look for black rings around the primers on fired cases. Loose primer pockets or over pressure. New brass and less or different powder may be in order.

None are pierced, or even real deep. but I have found several maybe 10 or so with a heavy black ring around the primer pocket. If I do find one I destroy it. Will this hurt accuracy

Edited by usmc1974

As long as the pits aren't especially deep and don't get any bigger, that doesn't look like enough damage to hurt accuracy. That ring is the gap between the base of the case and the strike face of the primer. Since it's an area of the cartridge that's unsupported anyway it won't affect anything.

But saying that, bolts are cheap and I hate seeing anything wrong with a gun. I'd replace it anyway.

Edited by Absocold

It's a savage, you only need a bolthead. Swapping boltheads will likely change your headspace, but that is adjustable with the barrel nut.

This. One of the very cool things about the Savage platform is the modular bolt and barrel headspace set up. If you want to replace it, you'll need a new bolt head, a barrel nut wrench and a headspace gauge, but perhaps it would be best to ask Savage to do it?

It's a savage, you only need a bolthead. Swapping boltheads will likely change your headspace, but that is adjustable with the barrel nut.

This. One of the very cool things about the Savage platform is the modular bolt and barrel headspace set up. If you want to replace it, you'll need a new bolt head, a barrel nut wrench and a headspace gauge, but perhaps it would be best to ask Savage to do it?

I called Savage they want to look at the rifle. They said there could be a back pressure problem. They are paying all shipping cost an sending UPS out to get it.

I would get one of these for future use and toss any case that fails the primer pocket no-go. I realize that you are using new brass, so that probably isnt your problem, but nothing is impossible. Your load seems stout enough to get the primers to seal in the pocket when fired, but what I see is usually indicating poor pocket seal due to low pressure or wallered out pockets.

You indicated that several fired cases had the teltail black ring around the primer. I would think that is where your flame cutting is coming from, figuring out why they are leaking is the million dollar question. I would check the pockets with the above gauge. All my precision brass gets checked...

jmho

jj

Eta link for go no-go gauge...

http://ballistictools.com/store/reloading-products/three-gage-pack

Edited by RiggerJJ

I would get one of these for future use and toss any case that fails the primer pocket no-go. I realize that you are using new brass, so that probably isnt your problem, but nothing is impossible. Your load seems stout enough to get the primers to seal in the pocket when fired, but what I see is usually indicating poor pocket seal due to low pressure or wallered out pockets.

You indicated that several fired cases had the teltail black ring around the primer. I would think that is where your flame cutting is coming from, figuring out why they are leaking is the million dollar question. I would check the pockets with the above gauge. All my precision brass gets checked...

jmho

jj

sounds good

Edited by usmc1974

• 3 weeks later...

jmho

jj

Oh, and I am getting one of them. Thanks guys

Edited by usmc1974