Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR length and scope power for 3 gun.

HerdThinner

16" and a 1-4x unless you can afford a stronger optic than 4x, just in case you someday do shoot a farther match than 400. None of us can predict the future, and it might be viewed as insurance. My matches don't exceed 400, and I just invested in a Burris 1-5x. However, in my opinion 4x is more than sufficient if 300 is max and you'd rather spend that extra $$$ on ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

After using that new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x last week at the NRA World Shoot, I would say its hard to beat for the money. May not need to go to 6x, but the Strike Eagle is cheaper than a MTac and its 6x instead of 4x.

Edited by Iggy42

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with most that 16" is plenty, 1/8 twist. Heck I want to build a 14" upper for 50 yd bay shooting and out to 300. beyond 300 the 1x6 optic is best but I have seen several shooters use an Eotech out to 600 and get hits on larger targets.

Smaller plates at 450-600 you cant go wrong with 18" gun, 1x6 optic, and 75-77 grain bullets loaded Warm...

I have the MTAC. if it was out at the time I would have gotten the Vortex Strike Eagle. I have shot 20" gongs out to 500 yards (not real well though) with the MTAC. I've tried an EOTec out to 150 yards, but I'm a lot faster with the magnification. Also some of the short range matches I go to leave head shots only, or have no-shoots covering the target, the magnification is helpful too.

So for the money; Strikefire. Even with a mount it's priced competitively with an Aimpoint PRO or EOTech. The scopes will require you to work with the eye relief and weigh more than a red dot. Like anything, you're faced with the compromises of cost, weight and benefits.

Herdthinner: you asked about length. Are you referring to barrel length? If so, 18" seems to be the most popular as you get the greatest velocity benefit. Ive used 14.5" out to 500 yards, but prefer an SBR for shorter matches. The 10.5" diesn't really produce enough velocity beyond 200 yards though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the armalite 13.5" and absolutely love it. Out to 300 it's amazing and will even reach out to 450-500. nice for running around barricades and with the tunable comp there is barely any muzzle rise at all. I topped it of with a leupold 1-6 and could not be happier!