Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Simple Shotgun Loading and Shell Carry Technique?

Frankly

Sorry for such a beginner-duffer question but for those of us more casual shooters who aren't going to master quad loads or spend $$$ on shell carriers, what is the best fast loading technique for stock bottom loading shotguns?

And is there a better way to carry shells that falls between 3-gun shell carriers and just shoving them loose into your pockets?

Seems applicable to home defense and general shotgunning... appreciate your suggestions.

There are side saddle methods that arnt too hard to learn for the beginners, and have multiple applications. However Bishop's suggestion is really the way to go. Price per shell, and speed can't be beat.

I have made some homemade kydex, but the learning curve for old school weakhand is tough.

You could always go with the old choat shell caddies, but you will have much more enjoyment spending a little more on some sort of load 2 device, whether a chest rig or belt style. Dropping duce's is the easiest to learn loading style and very fast.

If cost isn't a limiter but you're looking for a caddy that is 'practical/tactical' in that it can take a few bumps and not spill your shells anywhere, yet still be loaded quickly (weak hand 4, twins, quads), look at square stacked caddies like the Gunner Solutions EZ8 or Carbon Arms FSL8. They hold the shells a lot more securely than commonly seen clip style twins and quads caddies while still allowing twins and quads to be pulled out of them (not as quickly, of course).

Not speaking from personal experience, but the in vogue tactical solution right now seems to be SOE Gear shotshell 'cards' and similar removable velcro side saddle systems, along with their carriers (6 shells on a card occupy a similar shape and volume to an AR15 magazine). The problem with those, while they're slightly faster than loading from fixed loop style pouches, and offer more shells at the ready more quickly than a fixed side saddle, is that they're still extremely slow. They are only loading a single shell at a time with hand movement between the gun and the caddy or side saddle each time, slower by far than even the old style of 3-gun weak hand load 4 (but with less chance of a bumble).

The proliferation of load 2 and load 4 has completely changed the game and the tactical world has yet to catch on. Loading twins is an order of magnitude faster than loading singles, significantly faster and easier than weak hand load 4, and with less chance of bumbling than weak hand load 4 as well. Loading twins takes about the same level of dexterity (maybe less because of the way your hand funnels the shells) as loading single shells from a side saddle or loop pouch, but you get the ammunition in the gun twice as fast with half the hand movement.

Take a look at the two caddies I mentioned. I personally use an EZ8 as my back up shell carrier, or for carrying slugs for changeover. I use Taccom 8's on my chest as my primary caddies. While the Taccoms and similar clip style caddies are great, durable, fast and easy for quad loads, etc, they are very bulky for the number of shells they carry, and very vulnerable to having shells knocked out of them going prone, bumping into things, even slung long guns. In contrast, the EZ8 is quite compact (it doesn't space the shells out between eachother or the backer to give clearance to the hand, they are nearly flush inside the caddy with only the retainer spring plate lifting them away from the back a bit), durable, and most importantly, VERY secure. The shells are enclosed on all sides and nearly impossible to bump out unintentionally. And while they aren't as fast to grab a quad from as the Taccoms, at least they give you the option while remaining secure.

For the record, I only pull twins from my EZ8 and quads from my Taccoms. Twins come out of the EZ8 very easily with zero practice, but quads are tougher to manage when you can't get your hand around all 4 shells before extracting them from the carrier like you can on clip style caddies like the Taccom.

I know nothing of the tactical world, but a comment in your original post concerns me. You seem to think you can't master quad loads but really they are fairly easy to learn. With the proper shell holders and a few hours of practice you will stop fumbling them, and some extra practice will only get you faster. Sure, you won't be able to post videos of superhuman speed without a LOT of practice, but the technique is actually pretty easy to learn.

I know nothing of the tactical world, but a comment in your original post concerns me. You seem to think you can't master quad loads but really they are fairly easy to learn. With the proper shell holders and a few hours of practice you will stop fumbling them, and some extra practice will only get you faster. Sure, you won't be able to post videos of superhuman speed without a LOT of practice, but the technique is actually pretty easy to learn.

Basically I'm a lurker, not a 3-gun competitor. I've tried a few different shotguns and carriers with friends but I own an 870 pump and a stock CZ 712. If I shoot 200 rounds per year through these that's fine. I don't have a custom M2 and am not shooting thousands of rounds for practice. Even if I can quad load, I'm not going to stay in practice with it.

My question is aimed at figuring out what is the most effective way to load in a home defense situation (or practicing at the range) and I mean to ask what's in-between a modern 3-gun belt with $400 of specialized carriers and those awful shell carriers that people mount on the sides of their home defense guns? (which seems like a really dumb idea to me, plus they are slow).

I've actually used the EZ8 carrier and it does work well for two loads and the shells are very secure. Right now that's the leading solution for my situation. But I'm listening and open to other ideas.

I've seen those tactical velcro shell carriers people mount on the sides of their police guns. Seems slow as molasses to me after hanging out here and watching 3-gunners.

The Chameleon Load 2 is what I am using. Not too pricey for the number of rounds it holds and load 2 is plenty fast. With very minimal work you can figure it out in and get pretty good speed. The load 4 takes ALOT more work to get good at it and you really need the port hogged out for quads which you dont really need on a load 2. I know everyone is rushing to quads but there are alot of people out there who would be quicker just going load 2 vs having to to load the 4s as they are too deliberate its slower than if they loaded 2. For the home defense its a totally different ball game as realistically your not gonna need the ton of ammo and your not gonna have time to grab stuff to toss on to get ready to go. Its gonna be whats in or on the gun. is what you have and a sidesaddle is slower but its on the gun. In all reality if your using more than is in the shotgun in the home your in a world of hurt

My question is aimed at figuring out what is the most effective way to load in a home defense situation

My answer would be after 8 rounds or so dump it and go to pistol :)

Best answer and Guys I think the OP said best way to load a STOCK loading port.

No twins, No Quads in that case. Weak hand was developed FOR the stock loading port.

• 3 weeks later...

I realise this is an old thread, but I use Chameleon load 2, don't load from a pocket, i did this on my first PSG comp mid stage and loaded a shell backwards, it destroys a fast stage..

Loading from a pocket guarantees a slow stage.

Since Frankly explained he wasn't into lots of shooting or practice, how about using a stock mounted, elastic band ammo carrier, and the upside down loading technique.

The one where the gun is flipped upside down, the stock is held under the arm for stability, and the rounds are transferred the short distance from stock to loading port.

It's an uncomplicated and easy one to do and even works well in the dark, with not a lot of practice.

Especially with a typical four or five round mag tube that most folks have in their home defense choice.

Edited by g.willikers