Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mitchell Right side Mag Release for Single Stack

Gdub

As a lefty, and with an partially amputated left index fingertip to boot, my advice is to stick with the standard release and learn to activate it with your index finger. You don't have to shift your grip on the gun to activate the release and I'm as fast this way as I could ever be using a thumb release. I considered the Mitchell conversion, but I'm glad I didn't do it.

I've tried the whole trigger finger thing on other guns and then purchased a Tanfo. Stock II. I worked my butt off both releasing the mag with my trigger finger and reversing the mag release so I could release the mag with my thumb. I'm personally so much faster releasing the mag with my thumb versus my trigger finger. I'm also a more consistant shooter after a mag change with my thumb because my grip seems to be more consistant with before the mag change if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

As a righty who shoots a Beretta 92 mostly, I swapped the mag buttons around so I hit the MRB with my right hand middle finger.

I did have two of the Mitchell right side MRB's for my 1911's, and with my right hand grip, I would inadvertently hit the Mitchell MRB, and SPROING! CLANK! there would go my magazine dropping out of the gun right in the middle of a stage.

:angry2:

So since you are a lefty, I would suggest trying to hit your standard 1911 MRB with your left middle finger.

Left handed pistol shooter her.

Left hand, middle finger works for me. I have to shift my hand slightly to get the finger to the button, but I don't have to move the gun in my hand, so getting back to shooting is as simple as moving my middle finger back under the trigger guard as I complete the reload. If I use my right hand (I used to shoot right handed), I have to shift the gun to get my thumb to the button. Grab a gun and try it, you'll see what I mean about having to shift the gun to reach the button vs. moving your middle finger to the button.

Unless you have really long thumbs, you need to twist/reposition the gun in your hand to reach the button with your thumb. I don't have really long thumbs.

Lefty 2011 shooter. I have the Mitchell mag release on my pistols. By far the fastest way for a mag change if you are a lefty. The spring tension is less than stock mag release. Also if the index or middle finger technique was better all right handed people would have the Mitchell mag release on their pistols.