Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When you're the last shooter on a stage

kcobean

I was the last shooter on my squad (or near last) on stage 1 at the Area 8 Championship this year. It was our first stage of the match. Afterwards, I grabbed my stuff and walked over to stage 2. It was staff day, so we were all RO'ing for each other, i.e. you stay busy.

When it was my turn to shoot stage 2, I got the make ready command, inserted my barney mag from position 3 (of 4) on my belt, chambered a round, then put it back on my belt. Grabbed my start mag from position 4 and realized that it was empty from the previous stage. So, I pulled it out of the gun, put it back on my belt, grabbed my first reload mag from position 1 and oops, it's almost empty too....it's the other one I used from the previous stage. So I have two full Limited mags in positions 2 and 3 (minus the barney round stripped out of 3) for a 24 round stage, no worries. So, I put the second empty mag in position three, move full mags to positions 1 and 2. All good now, right?

Are you ready?

Standby!

Beep!

Bang

Click!

(tap/rack)

Click!

Look in magwell...there's no mag! After the shuffling, I never put a mag back in the gun. Spent a few seconds with my brain in total meltdown looking for a mag that had bullets in it, not remembering that I had moved them to the first two positions on my belt. Cost me probably at least 5 seconds.

Lesson: If you're not ready, don't shoot. Ask the RO to ULSC and go top off.

the real lesson here is: after shooting I take all my mags straight off my belt. UNLOAD them all, then reload them all and either put them ready in my bag, or back on the belt. even if I'm the last shooter on stage. in that case after shooting stage 1, take all mags off and dump in bag. when I get to stage 2 and hand in my score sheet I'll go and prepare my mags, check over gun etc while the first few shooters are running through;. given you were last on stage 1 you were second last on stage 2 so even with rotating RO duties etc you still need to make time to run through your routine. routine routine routine. don't deviate from it. it's when we get burned!

the real lesson here is: after shooting I take all my mags straight off my belt. UNLOAD them all, then reload them all and either put them ready in my bag, or back on the belt. even if I'm the last shooter on stage. in that case after shooting stage 1, take all mags off and dump in bag. when I get to stage 2 and hand in my score sheet I'll go and prepare my mags, check over gun etc while the first few shooters are running through;. given you were last on stage 1 you were second last on stage 2 so even with rotating RO duties etc you still need to make time to run through your routine. routine routine routine. don't deviate from it. it's when we get burned!

This is exactly what I do. I am an incredibly forgetful person. If I did not follow this procedure, I would likely have your experience on every stage. :blush:

After use a mag NEVER goes back onto my belt until I've had a chance to reload it. I either hold it, put it in my pocket or toss it in my range bag. I have this rule for a similar reason you describe :). Live and Learn.

My first match with an OPEN gun - forgot to put the red dot on ....

Only two approaches: 1. stop and turn the dot on, or 2. shoot without the damn sights.

Neither is real good .... :cheers:

I have done that.

I think everyone who has shot or shoots open has done this at least once...me included. Heck, I've even done it in 3-gun with my open shotgun...forgot to turn on the damn dot and forgot at the same time to take off the dust cover. :(

After use a mag NEVER goes back onto my belt until I've had a chance to reload it. I either hold it, put it in my pocket or toss it in my range bag. I have this rule for a similar reason you describe :). Live and Learn.

Yep.... Learned that lesson too.

No matter when I shoot, I have the habit of emptying all of my mags and reloading them so I know exactly how many rounds are in them (shooting open). I don't know why, but I don't load all mags to capacity...I put 20 in the 140s and 25 in the 170s until I decide how I will shoot the stage, then top off accordingly.

The important thing is....no matter what your routine is, NEVER change it!

I am in the same boat as a shooter which also RO's. Shooting SS, engaging first set of targets, best reload ever, bang then click. Tap rack oops slide lock. Look at gun with amazement, realize empty mag, think what a dummy, then insert what beloved was freshly loaded mag, not so, myself and RO start laughing so much, could finish stage. Moral is, always triple check for loaded mags even with a routine. As a shooter & RO, you get distracted. Still remember just like yesterday.

Shoot SS all the time. Have learned to make sure the mags are full wheen I get to the line. Then double check . Usually have 4- mags on belt and one in pocket to load up with. Top off with a belt round. So I start with 9 (45ACP) all the time and check all the other mags on the load and make ready command.

Works for me.

Thanks,

Mike