Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon handgun powders... CFE or Universal Clays?

johnson184

New to reloading, but looking for a nice powder to stock up on for 9mm and some .45ACP loading. Wanting to stay with the Hodgdon family right now since their reloading information is all online and instantly available.

Do you have any preference between the new CFE powder and the Universal Clays? Or just get whatever's cheapest to load or actually available?

Edited by johnson184

Hmm can't help you with either one of those powders, however I use red dot for 45 and you can find that easy enough these days if you watch the online stores. Thought I'm willing to bet there is red dot in stock in one of those stores as we speak. I use HP38/Win231 for my 9mm though, that one is a tough find these days as it is everyone's favorite powder. I did get some of that though a couple months back from cabela's. Just watch the forum here and someone will post usually when powder shows up somewhere. Otherwise if you're dead set on picking it up locally that varies from place to place and I would stop by the local range and talk to the guys shooting there. They always know the best spots to score.

I got into reloading several years ago when getting powder or primers was a major hurtle. So my thinking has followed a path driven by availability;

• what calibers will I be reloading ? how many rounds will I need in whatever time frame I am thinking?
  • will reloads to be used for target practice or competition ? really different parameters come into play as the former intent is a lot simpler than the latter when selecting powders
  • go online and look at powder loading data and try to find a powder (or limited numbers of powders) that will broadly meet all your reload needs if that is possible
  • availability and costs of powder are big practical issues
  • over the several years of reloading I graduated from Win 231/HP38 to TightGroup for all the reloads I maintain: 9mm, 40 S/W, 357 Sig, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I have no plans to expand this list in the future. I end up reloading about 10K+ rounds/year of this mix in 1K runs.
  • keeping up with one powder for all my purposes is just simpler and I concentrated my effort to find and build inventory of TiteGroup powder as my choice. It lets me buy in 8# jugs and spread HazMat costs which can be a real pain in the butt and costly if you stock a lot of powders from on line sources or the local shop-either way you pay Haz Mat up front or in the local prices..those fees have to be covered by someone.

Hope this helps just a little bit,

Chuck

I've used CFE pistol in 45s. Works well and is accurate with 230s. Only thing I didn't like was the smell of the powder. I use CFE In 38 sc and it doesn't smell as bad. Don't know why it's just my experience with it.

• 4 months later...

For 9mm I worked up a pretty good load with CFE and 125 gr RN. I have used Universal in 9mm as well and think I would give the edge to CFE.

For .45 while both will work I personally would prefer a faster powder like Titegroup or Clays. I have Titegroup on hand so that's what I use.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy it. It is my favorite load now. I was a 231 fan and never really found an alternative until a friend gave me a 8lb keg he had left over. It's cheap and has a very soft recoil. Here is the data:

Hodgdon

PowderTitewad
Bullet Diameter.452"
C.O.L.1.200"
Starting Load
Grains 2.8
Velocity (ft/s)684
Pressure14,700 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains 3.3
Velocity (ft/s)767
Pressure19,400 PSI
I've ran from 2.8 to 3.5 based on what I'm shooting and it runs good. I use a 230 grn Xtreme, no smoke and it's not dirty. I had to break the 3.3 limit to meet 165 if I remember correctly. I was asked on another thread to look at chrono results and I have to go find them or wait on another nice day.
Edited by wyliearms

I noramally get what I can but I always try to keep some Unique around. I mostly shoot 9mm, 45acp and shotguns. I don't shoot compatision so it will work for everything. So when I can't find what I want, I still get trigger time.

Edited by rustybayonet

I enjoy it. It is my favorite load now. I was a 231 fan and never really found an alternative until a friend gave me a 8lb keg he had left over. It's cheap and has a very soft recoil. Here is the data:

Hodgdon

PowderTitewad
Bullet Diameter.452"
C.O.L.1.200"
Starting Load
Grains 2.8
Velocity (ft/s)684
Pressure14,700 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains 3.3
Velocity (ft/s)767
Pressure19,400 PSI
I've ran from 2.8 to 3.5 based on what I'm shooting and it runs good. I use a 230 grn Xtreme, no smoke and it's not dirty. I had to break the 3.3 limit to meet 165 if I remember correctly. I was asked on another thread to look at chrono results and I have to go find them or wait on another nice day.

Awesome thanks for the info. I would probably just stick with Titegroup if I was trying to make 165 PF but Titewad looks like it would make some awesome plinking loads.