Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swarovski Z6i or the Kahles K16i?

johnson184

I don't think you can buy the Kahles in the US, so I would lean towards the Z6i. I have 2 of them and they are hands down the biggest game changer of any equipment I have purchased.

Edited by Sgtsvi

I run the K6i, and purchased it from Planet Optics, who were great to deal with, and shipped out fast...

I compared the glass to the Swaro Z6i, and the Kahles has slightly larger field of view, glass is just a bit clearer, and the scope is lighter, weighing just over 17 oz.

I run the K6i, and purchased it from Planet Optics, who were great to deal with, and shipped out fast...

I compared the glass to the Swaro Z6i, and the Kahles has slightly larger field of view, glass is just a bit clearer, and the scope is lighter, weighing just over 17 oz.

Your Kahles is lighter? On the specs posted online it seems like the Swarovski is supposed to be lighter. Which reticle do you prefer using?

I don't think you can buy the Kahles in the US, so I would lean towards the Z6i. I have 2 of them and they are hands down the biggest game changer of any equipment I have purchased.

Any comments on why you lean slightly more to the Z6i? What reticles did you go with?

I would have gone for the Khales. Much more rugged construction. Not Shortdot rugged but good. I have seen at least two swaro’s break down in matches- ocular loosens from the use of “cat tail”. The Khales has one integrated. The Khales also have a brighter dot.

I am not so fan of the Khales reticles on the other hand, but that is always a matter of choice........there is a reticle called GB4 that might work.

Edited by olp73

I am using the SM1, and have gotten used to it pretty well... The included throw lever on the Kahles is nice, although its not super long like some of the aftermarket units out there... the illumination is very bright, but includes a ring along with the dot... sometimes, its a little busy... I would have preferred just a dot...

The Swarovski is no longer available. Try the Trijicon 1-6x. No battery.

No thanks but having the Vortex Razor 2 and a Swarovski I can say the Vortex is a much closer fit and 95% the scope for about 60% of the money. Not impressed with what I have seen from the new Trijicon. Sorry.

How is the illumination and dot size on the SM2 reticle? I imagine their '2 MOA' description is the 1x size and red dot like, but I'm not sure what that would look like at 6x and on smaller targets.

Well the 1.5 moa dot in my SWARO at 6x is a 9 moa dot at 1x and hence why I prefer the smaller dot in my Razor 2. On close targets its time but when your shooting at 100 yards or so on a larger C zone target the dot covers more than I like so I use 1.5 magnification a lot.

Pat

This is my Kahles K16i. I got it last month from Optics planet. I'm very impressed by it so far, just playing with it in my house. Going to take it out tomorrow. It feels almost as fast as my aimpoints on 1x and the dot is nicer. This is the G4B reticle. Still trying to figure out what the hell the subtensions mean, but you can't see those in the photo. I moved the scope further back in the mount than you see it here. I like my stock collapsed normally, so that i am not cantilevering as much weight out, but I decided to put the scope back further in the mount and use my stock at 2 clicks out. That way I have room to move the stock in to compensate for thicker clothing.

EDIT: At 1x the dot is 5.2" @100 yds and at 6x the dot is .87"@ 100 yds

post-55259-0-93850100-1441133100_thumb.j

post-55259-0-67938600-1441133179_thumb.j

Edited by craigkim

Craig,

Does your K6i have the wonky 0.15 mil/click turret or did you get a 'newer' one with the 0.1 mil/click knob?

Just wondering if the new version has made it into the inventories of US retailers yet.

Thanks.

Dave

I looked at the Vortex Razor. It seemed nice, but it's a beast of a scope. Other than price, I couldn't find advantage, but as far as advantages go... it's a big one.

Craig,

Does your K6i have the wonky 0.15 mil/click turret or did you get a 'newer' one with the 0.1 mil/click knob?

Just wondering if the new version has made it into the inventories of US retailers yet.

Thanks.

Dave

I looked at the Vortex Razor. It seemed nice, but it's a beast of a scope. Other than price, I couldn't find advantage, but as far as advantages go... it's a big one.

There is a few advantages.

1. Price

2. Life time warranty vs 5 years for Swarovski.

3. I prefer the illuminated portion of the Vortex reticle. Red vs Amber and .5 moa vs 1.5.

Pat

Craig,

Thanks.

Dave

There is a few advantages.

1. Price

2. Life time warranty vs 5 years for Swarovski.

3. I prefer the illuminated portion of the Vortex reticle. Red vs Amber and .5 moa vs 1.5.

Pat

Kahles is also lifetime. I zerod my Kahles yesterday. I had to do it indoors at 25 yards, but I really like this scope. I didn't consider the swarovski at all, as the Kahles k16i seems to be the sortof updated version of swarovskis offering. It's super robust, but light. My only other consideration was the Vortex. The Vortex is a LOT cheaper, a LOT bigger and heavier. My JP-15 is already fairly heavy, so I didn't want to add weight. I think the Kahles glass is better, but I can't tell you exactly how much, it's a LOT lighter, and LOT more expensive. I got mine for around 2050 delivered from Optics Planet with no tax obviously. I had an 11% off promotional code from them.

But then you have a Vortex and some bacon. As much as I like bacon I think I would spend my money on better glass and diet. The internet is no place for honest unbiased opinions, people will get their feelings hurt, and and the motivations of those posting are always suspect. I might be a paid plant for Kahles, or even worse be receiving free shit from them for my non endorsement.

But then you have a Vortex and some bacon. As much as I like bacon I think I would spend my money on better glass and diet. The internet is no place for honest unbiased opinions, people will get their feelings hurt, and and the motivations of those posting are always suspect. I might be a paid plant for Kahles, or even worse be receiving free shit from them for my non endorsement.

I certainly don't hide the fact I'm sponsored by Vortex (see my shirt), but I'll also tell you that I spent my hard earned money on their gear long before they offered me sponsorship. I don't know if your post was directed toward me personally or toward sponsored shooters in general, but I'll chalk up your rather insulting comments to a simple difference of opinion. Enjoy your bacon. :)

I had the money to blow on a scope and ammo and bacon. I guess I should have avoided the inevitable pitfall of an OP asking X or Y and someone comes along and recommends Z, despite it not being sollicited. In this case, I really can't disagree and I strongly considered Z, so I truthfully laid out my logic. I knew I would only buy one low power scope and I wanted it to be more awesome than affordable. It is.

I can assure you, NO ONE is going to sponsor me for anything shooting related.