Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for a accurate 9mm

chetc

looking for a new 9mm for my wife, it all started last year, first gun was a XDM 9MM 4,5" barrel ok gun but the trigger was so LONG of a pull, traded it for a Sig P320 for me or my wife the gun was not very consistent, then on to a EAA Witness match Elite in 9mm, VERY ACCURATE, but i can see it was too heavy for my wife after 20 or 30 shots and the frame and grip size is a bit large for my wifes hand, , so we still have that one, so we get a Walthers PPQ, excellent trigger, fit and weight is perfect for my wife, BUT after 2 months i cannot find a load that i can get past the 4" group at 25yds off the bench, so i am going to look for one more 9mm for her to try, i have a few 1911's and they shoot, my CZ75B SA it shoots and the Witness shoots, seems like the Polymer frame striker guns are not on par the the guns i mentioned, are there any recommendations on any of the CZ type clones that are LIGHT and accurate and have a decent trigger, i will redo the trigger anyway if needed.

Chet

PS for the price of the Walthers PPQ, i am rather disappointed in its accuracy, unless i did not hit the load yet, my Glock 17 shoots great, but the grip is a bit on the big side for my wifes hand

I would say try the CZ 75B but with a DA/SA. Maybe convert your SA to DA? If reset bothers your wife, have CZ Custom or Stuart add an SRT on it? It seems your have a good experience on CZ type pistols so maybe you should stick with them. No personal experience but I hear good things about the P09. Maybe worth the shot. Just my 2 cents

I would say try the CZ 75B but with a DA/SA. Maybe convert your SA to DA? If reset bothers your wife, have CZ Custom or Stuart add an SRT on it? It seems your have a good experience on CZ type pistols so maybe you should stick with them. No personal experience but I hear good things about the P09. Maybe worth the shot. Just my 2 cents

HI Ryan 626

I think i want to find something a little lighter than the CZ 75b

Chet

So is a 1911 out of the question?

He said something light. I guess an aluminum frame 1911 would be lighter than a cz75.

Alloy frame 4" would probably be lighter than a CZ75. Of course you will give up some capacity, but better trigger IMHO and some are pretty darn accurate.

Edited by PalmBeach1

He said something light. I guess an aluminum frame 1911 would be lighter than a cz75.

Alloy frame 4" would probably be lighter than a CZ75. Of course you will give up some capacity, but better trigger IMHO and some are pretty darn accurate.

HI Palm Beach1

i should have been more clearly on the next gun for my wife, i should have mentioned, capacity is not important, she has a carry gun, mainly for target shooting, someone mentioned a aluminum frame 1911, thats a thought, she already has a Kimber custom target after about 15 min i can see she is already for her 22/45 ruger Lite, i think an aluminum frame pistol might be a choice, something in the weight of a Glock 19 or the PPQ. would be perfect. trigger is important also

Chet

Edited by chetc

HI Palm Beach1

i should have been more clearly on the next gun for my wife, i should have mentioned, capacity is not important, she has a carry gun, mainly for target shooting, someone mentioned a aluminum frame 1911, thats a thought, she already has a Kimber custom target after about 15 min i can see she is already for her 22/45 ruger Lite, i think an aluminum frame pistol might be a choice, something in the weight of a Glock 19 or the PPQ. would be perfect. trigger is important also

Chet

The thing I don't like about aluminum frames is they transmit recoil. Aluminum is harsh and not as light as polymer. Steel soaks up recoil not only because of its weight but because of the properties of the metal. A lot of people say a polymer gun will absorb recoil better than a similar aluminum gun but I don't know if that's true or if it even makes a noticeable difference.

Kind of like how aluminum bikes are known for harsh rides. Carbon fiber is lighter and gives a better ride. Steel gives a better ride but is heavier.

Edited by Honeybooboo

Chet, you may want to look at the Springfield Range Officer Champion. It has a full size frame with a 4" bull barrel. Capacity for the Champion is 9 rounds compared to the compact which is 8.

My GF, who is 118# soaking wet, handles it rather easily. While there is a bit more felt recoil than my my full size steel frames, I find it to be quite the pussycat.

This thread is deja vu. I won't hijack except to mention that my wife is looking for something lighter than her 9mm 1911 for steel challenge. The challenge: she wants a 1911-like trigger. And we're in California. I wonder if Limited-10 makes an alloy single shot?

Rick, what is she shooting now?

SA 9mm 1911 with some trigger work - 3.25lb trigger. I'm wondering if a Burwell trigger job on one of our M&P 9's might not be worth trying. Also, we're looking at an SA EMP in 9mm as her HD gun since she has so many rounds through her 1911; I suppose one could use this for steel challenge. It is light.

Too bad you didnt get some trigger work done to the 320. I have shot several of the 320s with Bruce Gray Trigger jobs....while he was standing there. We shot plate racks at 25yards weak hand. They have some of the best triggers I have shot in a plastic gun and they are 50 yard accurate.......Something i have found with instructing smaller women is that they can handle the bigger guns just fine, just not as long without a break....

Good luck,

DougC

HI Steve

How accurate, well i sort of got used to my 2 favorite 9mm, the CZ75B SA and the EAA Witness Match Elite, when i do my shooting right, these guns can do 2 to 3" at 25yds, my Springfield RO will do 1 to 1 1/2" my wife can shoot the witness good but not for long, th weight gets to her, i got her a new PPQ and that don't cut it, she shoots my Glock 17 gen 4 much better, so how accurate you ask, i wish i can can find something for her as accurate as she shoots the Witness Match elite, but about the weight of the glock 17 or a tad heavier, someone mentioned the Grand Power handguns, was looking at the x-trim, or x-calibur, but since i never saw them, not sure i want to chance a mail order. she did hold a SP01 and she thought it was a tad heavy, any thoughts or suggestions

thanks

Chet & Diana

I think the X -Cal or X-Trim either one would work, the X-Cal has a longer sight radius. should have no problems under teh 2.5" mark. Depending on bullet selection.

CZ makes a SP01 Tac 2, which does not have the heavier dust cover, but still isn't as light as the Grand Powers. If you go that route, check the test target before you buy, some are ok on accuracy, some are phenomenal. The cool part is they come with a test target. I must say there is one on gun broker Easy pay right now that I've almost bought twice.. if ONLY it ha the light rail. lol

I think the X -Cal or X-Trim either one would work, the X-Cal has a longer sight radius. should have no problems under teh 2.5" mark. Depending on bullet selection.

thanks steve

now maybe some can lead to where i may find them.

Chet

CZ makes a SP01 Tac 2, which does not have the heavier dust cover, but still isn't as light as the Grand Powers. If you go that route, check the test target before you buy, some are ok on accuracy, some are phenomenal. The cool part is they come with a test target. I must say there is one on gun broker Easy pay right now that I've almost bought twice.. if ONLY it ha the light rail. lol