Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fed up with EAA

"In Europe it is unlawful to sell a 9x19 so they focus on other calibers as is is their main consumer marketplace."

True but instead they are chambered in 9x21, which is the same tapered case like a 9x19, just 2mm longer.

Sorry for all your troubles, hope they get worked out

The (9x21) is only 2mm longer (.0787") but in Europe they generally chamber the small frame for the 9x19 & 9x21. Different animal and said to be more of a reliable platform. In the US only large frame Gold team platforms are imported since '05 or '07 I forget . They sport 9x19, 38 super, and 40 S&W commonly (.45 acp version is made but not as common). So the case dimensions of the 3 are; 9x19 is .394" rim and .754" long, a .38 super is .406" rim and .900" long, and a 40 is .424" rim and .850" long. You have one ejector (sear housing) to accommodate all 3. So the ejector length has to be cut to work on the longest one, the 38 super. So the 40 is close so it will work but the 9mm is quite shorter so you have to rely on the extractor to hold the case in a consistent position longer than the other 2 before it ejects. TO long a dwell time of unsupported cases held on by the extractor does not aid in maintaining consistent position shot to shot under the strain of the gun firing. SO there's how inconsistent ejection is exacerbated relative to the 9mm. Now with different rim sizes, same barrel unlocking degree, and the ejector position remaining constant the angle of extraction will be different between the 3. Essentially the ejector strikes the face of the case in different clock positions for all 3. So this is my supportive argument that it is not very precision minded or supportive of race gun reliability in trying to settle on a single design dimension to suit a given aray of dissimilar calibers ....you have to adjust the gun to the caliber for best results and though the price point is condusive to this sort of attention it is not being done by Tanfoglio!

Is the extractor different on the Gold Team to the other larger frame Tanfos? My 9mm Match performs flawlessly.

Same one. On a conventional gun with Iron sights the "one ejector fits all" works as there is no clearance issues from a scope mount covering part of the ejection port. YOur gun could extract at 1o'clock 2 or 3 o'clock for that matter at it will be no concerns as your ejection port is wide open. Very critical to tune open guns to throw at what ever o'clock is needed to clear the scope mount and bottom of the ejection port. A single non specific part like the ejector and extractor is not going to achieve that.

BallisticianX,

I know this doesn't help you out but my GT in .40 runs like a scolded dog since I switched to Mac-Gar magazines. I think I've shot over 1000 rounds in competition since the switch without a single malfunction. Now when I first got the gun I did have a few jams where the ejected case was getting caught between the ejection port and scope mount but that went away after a few hundred rounds. I hope you can get your problem resolved because I do think the Gold Team is a fast, reliable gun.

BallisticianX,

I know this doesn't help you out but my GT in .40 runs like a scolded dog since I switched to Mac-Gar magazines. I think I've shot over 1000 rounds in competition since the switch without a single malfunction. Now when I first got the gun I did have a few jams where the ejected case was getting caught between the ejection port and scope mount but that went away after a few hundred rounds. I hope you can get your problem resolved because I do think the Gold Team is a fast, reliable gun.

My friend has one in 40, his runs good too. I think the internals are just bedt matched to the 40 vs. the 9. I only ever ran the Mec-Gar K9 mags so that wont help in my case. J&L will surgically repair it at this point.

Edited by BallisticianX

It will be interesting to see where this goes and I'm looking forward to putting some major rounds down range. I've got 2 9 gt's that run great w minor ammo of all sorts w a top mount cmore and shoot w a 3rd guy w the same setup that runs fine (all 3 have lower rated recoil springs). Looking forward to seeing if there is something in the major power dynamic that contributes to the jamming and if so why (slide speed?).

Hopefully get the chrono stuff done tomorrow and run a real batch Saturday.

BallisticianX,

Sorry to hear about your experience with this platform. I am just getting into The Gold Team 38 Super and have been reading your detailed posts on reloading and am impressed with your knowledge.

I have an inclination that you are going to have that "Ah Hah" moment and solve this challenge. There are a number of experienced and knowledgeable Tanfo folks on this site (hoping one day I'll be sharing some wisdom) that can assist.

Hoping it all works out !!

Well my chrono effort failed due to being indoors I suppose (despite putting cheap LED's on the screens). I had loaded up some 125gr blue bullets with varying amounts of HS-6 but couldn't get any reading despite getting a reading on JHP zeros out of my 2011. Ordered the IR screens and will give it a go next week. My thinking was that if blue bullets ran a bit faster it'd be slightly less powder to get major.

I did notice it was tough to extract a loaded cartridge after it chambered maybe that's a sign on pushing the OAL too much?

Anyway, I'll be back at it when I get the screens in.

Update: I got the infrared screens for the chrono and they worked great. Ran 8.0 grains of HS-6 OAL around 1.146-1.148 and had a power factor North of 170. Was surprised by that and hadn't cooked many up at 8.0 (everything else was higher) so I'll be back to do some fine tuning. The gun ejected the ones I did have no problem, but the sample wasn't large. Going to do a batch at 7.8 and 8.0 and see how it works. Maybe this 9mm isn't useless for USPSA after all!

Ran a small batch of 7.8 gr HS-6 rounds and got a PF of 171.5. I was surprised the PF didn't fall off a bit more. Anyway, that's obviously pretty close to a good load. Made up a large batch at 7.7 gr and will see how that does. So far case ejection hasn't been an issue but we'll see.

I tend to agree you'd be better off with a small frame in 9mm. the small frame is made for the 9mm versions. as you point out the large frame is basically the 38 super gun with a different extractor and different barrel. the small frame ejector is different and definitely better suited to 9mm.

hopefully it gets sorted and you can enjoy it. :)

I took down my last post as I had a heat of the moment outburst. It did not come off the way it was intended. I was mad but not at anyone in particular There is some bugs to be worked out on this gun and I'm very blessed to have the help of J&L Gunsmithing. I just got off the phone with him and he is a great guy. He reminds me of my father whom is a great man. I still think EAA could be more customer service oriented and that is why we have people like J&L to make up where others lack. My father always said the road to success is paved with failure and disappointment, I'm just frustrated as the road seems to be longer than I had ever expected. My frustrations have been exasterbated with other personal issues such as a necessary back surgery I need may make my ability to continue practical shooting a problem. So the gun issue has just been absorbed as a final straw that brought the whole smorgous borg out. I am confident that the kind help from J&L may be some needed success on my path and I need to be patient. SOrry for the long winded post but I Needed to set things straight because thats what you do when you let frustration get the better of you...you man up to the mistake.

Edited by BallisticianX