Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fed up with EAA

So after owning my Gold Team Eric 2007 in 9mm for a week and a half I can honestly say I hate it. It is a jam o matic to say the least. THis thing ejects cases up at 1 o'clock and are subsequently hitting the mount and bounce back in the ejection port. I have tried tuning the extractor, trying different recoil springs, different loads, and eventually called EAA to speak to thier Gunsmith (I use that title loosely). After 2 days of leaving msg's he finally calls me back and frankly came off as not caring and was no help. HE said to try different springs and good luck basically. Due to the design of the ejector being a molded part of the sear housing there isnt much to be done to adjust it. You can only change the angle on the ejector nose and that does nothing. THe 9mm model of this gun uses all the same generic parts as the 38 super and 40. I'm sorry but you cant build a pistol to perform at the high levels of competition with retrofitting any old part for any old caliber. FOr the money you spend on this gold custom each part should be made to specific dimensions based on the best possible results to each intended caliber. SO here I sit with a $2k gun and $1k of accessories that is useless to use for it's intended purpose. EAA has the worst customer service and I dont foresee any help from them that if I can even get ahold of anyone past the recoptionist. I am going to push a refund as I dont want any part of continuing ownership of this sub-par money pit it has become!!

I am waiting for 3 screws (for the red dot mount) to get my Gold Team running. I hope I have better luck. I paid $1600 for mine, so with the red dot and mount, I guess that comes in at about $2,000. What accessories did you buy to add another grand - lots of magazines and base pads?

I bought Hennings checkered grips, hennings extended firing pin, hennings cone fit guide rod, five K-9 mags, five base pads, five grams springs & followers, EGW sear and hammer, DAA holster, recoil and main spring packs, sidewinder racker handle, and C-More mount. $1084.73 to be exact and that does not include shipping charges. As far as a 90 degree mount goes, yes it would cure it. I dont consider it a viable option though. I do not like the 90 degree mounts as it cuts off peripheral vision to the left and with the absence of a blast shield the glass gets filthy in no time with the ports on this thing. I am not going to bother with that. Just replacing one aggravation with another.

Hate to hear this. We've got a 38 Super (older v8 version) that runs just great. Our 9mm's run great in minor. I'm following your loads for 9mm major and just started to prep some rounds last night. I've got a 90 degree mount but I prefer the upright - just like it better and all the other open guns are set up this way.

Was yours jamming for minor loads (if you ran it this way)?

I'm still going to follow through with trying your path, but figure there's a good chance jams or something busted will be in the near future.

I'm sorry you're having so many issues. I will say though if you decide to keep it then Atlas is the man to help. I bought a gold custom off Enos last year and its ran like a charm. It was used and I was the 3rd owner so I don't know what tweeks were done other than I believe the extractor cuz it will shoot both .38 super and super comp. Hope you get it worked out, they are fun guns to shoot

Try the side mount to resolve the issue. I've been told this happens with even $3000 STIs too. Then after it runs, sell it. You seem too jaded at this point to enjoy the gun.

EAA customer service has such an atrocious reputation I will buy parts from France before them.

Try the side mount to resolve the issue. I've been told this happens with even $3000 STIs too. Then after it runs, sell it. You seem too jaded at this point to enjoy the gun.

EAA customer service has such an atrocious reputation I will buy parts from France before them.

Side mounts are not an option, it will block all peripheral vision to the left. Then you will have to constantly battle overswinging if you have to transition left. That is why you dont see many guys run them. Because of the drop off in popularity the demand fell and woolah they are cheaper mounts than any upright configuration. As far as $3000 STI's having the same issue your right. The difference is its an easy fix with adjustments and a wide array of specialty parts in the worst case. This is not the case with Tanfoglio. As I stated before the tanfoglio ejector is designed around 40 and 38 super so it is shorter to alot for the length of the cases. Not to mention the larger headstamp area to contact on both. No effort was put forth to enhance the part to perfectly match it to the shorter and smaller headstamped 9mm. The 9mm is the black sheep as they just throw a 9mm barrel in the gun and hope for the best. For $2k I would expect more effort and tuning to create a reliable platform for each individual caliber. The shorter 9mm should be getting kicked off sooner than it does so it does not have excessive dwell time relying on the extractor to hold it in place under the force of slide cycling. Because of this excessive time in the extractor the case can slide around changing the ejector contact to the case and thats how inconsistant extraction angles are caused. With my c-more mount removed I can see casings flying at 1 o'clock to 4 o'clock both far and near at will. Tanfoglio views the the 9mm is an acceptable platform to just throw together with existing parts just to produce an additional option. In Europe it is unlawful to sell a 9x19 so they focus on other calibers as is is their main consumer marketplace. 9mm is only produced for the US market that is not a major outlet for thanks to lack of marketing and a Horrible importer. SO without sales demand their is no R&D or upgrade demand. It comes down to Tanfoglio could basically care less....no money in it! I wish I would have figured this out prior to having to experience it for myself.

Edited by BallisticianX

Hate to hear this. We've got a 38 Super (older v8 version) that runs just great. Our 9mm's run great in minor. I'm following your loads for 9mm major and just started to prep some rounds last night. I've got a 90 degree mount but I prefer the upright - just like it better and all the other open guns are set up this way.

Was yours jamming for minor loads (if you ran it this way)?

I'm still going to follow through with trying your path, but figure there's a good chance jams or something busted will be in the near future.

I feel the HS-6 was the best path for Major in this V12 version. High charge weights equal larger gas volume of which is needed especially with these hybrid guns. It was comfortable and felt mild and the gun stayed flat. The primers showed less signs of pressure than the other powders I experimented with so that will be easier on the gun. It leads me to believe HS-6 produces low chamber pressures but produces high muzzle pressure of which is just what you want. Also it was very accurate. If it wasn't for this extraction problem the gun is outstanding for open major competition. Of course longevity is still the question and only time will tell.

I also like HS6 better than WAC or Sil.

HS-6 still has a firm following among racegunners. Funny thing is some guys used to swear by Win 540 and when they discontinued it moved on to 3n37 as they thought they had no choice. I had a guy tell me this 2 months ago that if he could find 540 he would jump on it as its his all time favorite. So I enlightened him to the fact that Win 540 was sold under the Hodgden brand as.....wait for it..here it comes...HS-6. He had the deer in the headlight look for a few seconds. I thought everyone knew that, apparently not lol. I could make a killing putting "540" labels on my HS-6 stockpile :devil:

I really appreciate the lead on loads. I've loaded up some samples with different charges and will be out to chrono later this week. Once that's sorted I'll do a batch and check reliability - that's probably the low wire. I may end up at J&L too - but it would be great to get a 9 major running.

Hopefully they'll get it sorted on your gun!

"In Europe it is unlawful to sell a 9x19 so they focus on other calibers as is is their main consumer marketplace."

True but instead they are chambered in 9x21, which is the same tapered case like a 9x19, just 2mm longer.

Sorry for all your troubles, hope they get worked out

As a last ditch effort to fix this thing I sent it to Jim at J&L Gunsmithing in Virginia on the recommendation of Hennings. Jim says he can get it working no problem...I hope so or I am going to have a Heart attack!

Jim will get it running. Jim worked on all of my guns, he knows the brand. He sold me my first 5 Tanfoglios.

As a last ditch effort to fix this thing I sent it to Jim at J&L Gunsmithing in Virginia on the recommendation of Hennings. Jim says he can get it working no problem...I hope so or I am going to have a Heart attack!

Jim will get it running. Jim worked on all of my guns, he knows the brand. He sold me my first 5 Tanfoglios.

Im glad to hear that....now that I have some concrete hope in closure to this I might get some sleep tonight lol

Actually the whole '9mm banned in Europe' thing is not exactly correct. It's not a civilian legal cal in Italy (hence 9x21 tanfogs) but it's used by civilians in other euro countries.

Hope jim gets it sorted. :)

I was pretty sure 9x19 and any NATO round was restricted for civilian use as part of the European union and UN agreements. I was under the understanding in any country in Europe special clearances may be granted but under severe scrutiny. Of course non-european nationals can get clearance if your going there for a Match.

I Hear good things about Jim and considering Henning said he is the best with Tanfo's I am remaining confident he can.....