Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case cleaning

Pant

I just sent my first batch of mostly once fired 40 brass through my new (and only, and first) tumber.  I put in a few capfulls of the Dillons Rapid Polish.  I let the thing go for a 3-4 hrs.  When, I turned it off and seperated the media from brass, it was definately cleaner, but not exactly what I would call bright.  After unloading the brass (by hand) my fingers were almost black, as if I had too much polish going.  Would a another trip through the tumbler with media w/o polish brighten them up, or am I just asking a bit too much here?

What type of media were you using?  Corncob or Walnut?  Walnut's good for scrubbing.  Corncob is more of a polisher.  If your cases are pretty nasty, you might want to try walnut to get the grunge off first.  

I've also been playing with automotive rubbing compound (dried and powdered) in my Walnut media to really give dirty cases a scrubbing.  Some guys use "jeweler's rouge."

You can make cases look new with the right stuff.  Don't fret.  You'll get it.  Have confidence!

E

Some weathered brass will never become bright.

The thing I've found that makes for the shiniest brass is 8 hours or more of tumbling, sans polish.

Throw an old laundry anti-static sheet (Bounce, etc.) in with your tumbler to keep the dust down and keep the media cleaner.

I first used walnut media coated with rouge by accident - I ordered Lyman's Tough-nut media which comes treated with rouge.  Don't spill, it makes a mess.  Tumbled for perhaps 2 hours and the brass was hard to tell from nickle plated stuff (on the outside).

HOWEVER: I had tubled a bunch of .45 previously loaded with LEAD bullets and the lube from those bullets was stuck in a ring around the inside of each case.  The finely powdered rouge was imbedded in that wax.  I was in a hurry (I keep my Dillon at a frind's place so time is short) so I loaded them as is instead of re-tubling with plain walnut or corncob to remove the rouge.

Think about this: with each shot of that ammo, I was sending a blast of super hard rouge down the barrel - not to mention the stuff that got wedged into the copper plating of the bullets. Talk about lapping!

I might use the Tough Nut again on REALLY corroded brass - but I'd be sure to give it another 4 hours in a different media after that. I now use Petco bulk walnut shell - like $14 for 25 lbs. Have not tried corncob but now that I have a seperator, I might try that after the walnuts. I don't bother with flashhole cleaning.

If you want to use addidtives, I think many here prefer Iosso case additive or FLITZ additive. If you want to use the Dillon stuff you already have, Mike Dillon usually sells only stuff that works. Give it a little longer.

PS- I never seem to get the inside of the case 100% clean.

(Edited by Carlos at 5:09 pm on Jan. 10, 2002)

GN,

You'll know when to change your media, when it starts taking an inordinately long time to get your brass clean.  You'll notice the granules taking on a more rounded and discolored appearance than when they were new.

Gotta head to Petco for that cheap walnut shell.  Such a deal.

E

I think the only thing to beware of is any type of polishing solution that contains ammonia. I beleive it weakens brass...

I use 1/8th corn cob with Dillon Rapid Polisher....

I buy the corn cob in bulk from the "DogHouse" pet supply store, they stock it as a cat type litter... 25LB bag last ya little while. :-)

A few things:

I use ground corn cob, bought at the local feed store.  Yes, 25# lasts a long time.  A couple of capfuls of Dillon polish, and cases are shiny in two hours.

If you overfill the vibrator with media and brass, it won't circulate well.  Half full and you get good action.

The nickel on nickeled cases is very hard on liquid case cleaners.  I sort out the nickeled cases before dunking the really grubby stuff.  Hot water rinse, and on an old towel in the sun and they're dry in 20 minutes.  In the winter, I crank up the dehumidifier in the shop and leave them spread on the same old towel.  Pistol dries in an hour, .223 takes longer.

When media gets grubby, it takes longer to clean.  when it takes four hours to clean brass, I dump the old and put in fresh.

Dave,

I have never washed cases AFTER they come out of the tumbler.  (I have rinsed and dried them before - just to get the mud off.)   So you know, there is some voodoo circulating around about small amounts of media debris eroding barrels, but to me it's a bunch of bunk.  If it's a problem, it's due to gross negligence.  

(BTW, the Dillon Case separator does an awesome job of getting the last little bits of media out.  Highly recommended if you don't have one yet.)

Just separate the media, load like crazy and be happy.  Do what makes sense and you'll do fine!

Happy loading!

Eric

Hi,

Not that I want to put media manufacturer out of business, but you should give a look at rice. Yes, just plain rice, with a spoonfull of polish (I use "Mirror" brand) and a few drops of Hoppes 9. Cases come out very clean in an hour or so.

I tried it the first time when I got my tumbler as a gift on a Sunday: all gunshop were closed, and we can't find corncob or crushed walnuts over here. Just head on to the kitchen, and voila !

• 3 months later...

Hi to everybody.

I'm happy that a forum like this exists. It’s very useful and interesting too.

Thanks to you who place your questions and answers, I have improved my skill and my knowledge.

I have two questions to make:

Is it necessary to clean cases for reloading in all circumstances?

I mean,  if I pick up cases from the range that I just fired (first shoot) or

from yesterday’s  practice, must I clean them,

or only if they have stayed several days on the ground

so as they are muddy and  they have lost their brightness?

Finally I suppose that trimming is not necessary for  0.40’’ S&W cases.

Am I wrong ?

Thanks

P

Hi Pant and welcome!

First, some believe it's not NECESSARY to clean your brass, but my rule of thumb is ALWAYS.  Even if it's for only an hour or so in the tumbler.  The cleaned brass will have less debris and will feed through your press a tad easier.  I'm sure the "guys" will have lots more advice for you ;)

You don't have to clean your cases but you don't really need to clean your gun. Well at least til its so dirty it won't run. Sort of the same with brass. I have never checked 40 brass but Super get Shorter with use so I assume 40 does also. No one trims pistol brass. At least no one that is normal. Clean brass is easier to find.

AS usual, Kath is right on.

Couple of tips: you really want a media seperator and an old 5 gal bucket - it costs less than 25 bucks on sale and gets all the media out of the cases in 2 or 3 revolutions. Buy the one from RCBS from Natchez or Midway - it features an enclosed lid that keeps the dust down. I have a cheaper all plastic one (the really cheap all blue one) - dust gets all over the place with mine.

Buy media 1x per year from PetCo or Petsmart. 25 lbs of walnut cost me about $14.  They also sell bulk corncob. I use both for different purposes.

If you just pick up stuff off the range floor, it only needs maybe 1 hr in the cleaner. If you want to use grungy stained range stuff of unknown origin (not recommended in .40 cal) then 4 to 6 hrs in walnut will shine it right up - though it only needs to be clean, not like new. That much time will not damage your cases.

Think of cleaning as adding one more reliability step - that tiny piece of carbon stuck in the extractor grove that costs you a stage wouldn't be there if you took the 5 min. needed to clean the cases. You don't need to spend gobs of money on a cleaner, any of them will do. Avoid the liquid "cleaner in a bottle" stuff. Tried it. Its a pain.  

• 4 years later...
Hi,

Not that I want to put media manufacturer out of business, but you should give a look at rice. Yes, just plain rice, with a spoonfull of polish (I use "Mirror" brand) and a few drops of Hoppes 9. Cases come out very clean in an hour or so.

I tried it the first time when I got my tumbler as a gift on a Sunday: all gunshop were closed, and we can't find corncob or crushed walnuts over here. Just head on to the kitchen, and voila !

This one piece of advice has saved me more time, money, and frustration...

Thank you Jerome!! Been using rice since I first read this. There is no downside. And there's virtually no dust like corncob or walnut. The price of rice at Costco ($8/25lb) is about 1/3 of what I would have to pay for blasting grade walnut media ($1/lb). Short or Medium grain rice works best. Long grain bridges in the cases.

How do you know when the media needs to be changed, or is it just somthing that should be done after a couple thousand rounds?

A friend of mine owns HQ BRass and he advised it isn't necessary to change your media until it is completely black. Obviously the dirtier it gets the longer but it certainly doesn't need to be chaged after a couple of thousand rounds.

• 2 weeks later...