Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 357mag or Super??

cliffwalsh

Does anyone have an opinion on which 627 is better for ICORE and or Steel?? Just got a good deal on a 357 and wondered what the peanut gallery thought.

This peanut gallery says you have the right gun. The .38 Super has more expensive brass and a whole lot less load data. Try .38 Colt Shorts with a 130 gr RN at 1.100" OAL using 4.6 gr of Universal Clays and a Fed 100 primer. 1135 fps = 147 pf but is accurate with low recoil. This is the shortest round and fastest to load in the gun. I have several .38 autos but never felt the urge to get a circle cycler in .38 Super.

Cliff, I have shot a modified eight shot for a few years. I think the 38 Super is easier to speed load because of the length of the round. But there is the problem of the bullet "jump" to the forcing cone. My eight shot was chambered for the 38 specials and I get good accuaracy from it. If I went with the 38 super I would have the cylinder cut back and barrel set deeper in the frame to match. I think that would be the best of both worlds. Would you be shooting an Open Revo with optics or simply stock?

I have 1 of each ...... the only reason I prefer the super is for reloading.

I reload same style as Jerry and my stubby little fingers just don't quite hold the cylinder open enough with the .357

The super doesn't have the indents on the outside of the cylinder and allows me to hold it fully open on the reload.

My 2 cents.

just one non-wheely's observation, but wouldn't buying obsolete, hard to find brass like .38 Colt Short, create the same problem as shooting the Super had in the first place?

IF, IF I were gonna head down that road I would lean towards the .357 w/ .38 specials. I would guess at plated RN bullets, and high bulk / low density powder.

Am I way off?

Cliff,

I had the same dillema and went the .357 route. I chamfered the cylinder a day or two ago and will polish the chambers sometime soon. We have two and both had heavy triggers and required a good polish to smooth them out. It's a fun gun to shoot.

I'm going to shoot mine in open division Saturday to practice for Zookeepers ICORE match on the 26th.

Have fun,

Dave

There was several threads in the reloading forum about the short colt. They work well with oversize bullets. I got West coast 147RN .357 to do 2in at 25yds in my gun, so they can be accurate, but it will take some testing to find which one works for your gun. I did all this experimentation prior to getting my super. The super is much easier to load for, and it honestly loads faster with the moons than the 38 special does(hard to beat the short colt for loading though.... :P ) My two cents with having three 8 shot Revos...... :wub:

Dirtypool,

Our brass is on moonclips so it is easy to find and we get it all back so brass cost is not that big of a deal for the chosen few...

Yea, no such thing as a "lost brass" match for us. I've never had problems loading or ejecting .38 Special brass, so I never investigated shorter stuff. Theoretically, the shorter Super will wobble less, and create less potential for mis-alignment. But how much it matters in reality, I cannot say.

As for short cases and the jump to the throats and forcing cone, PPC shooters have been using .357s for decades, loading them with .38 Special ammo. If anyone would complain of accuracy problems, they'd be the boys. Since they aren't bitchin, I suspect it isn't much of a problem.

Cliff,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cost of the 38 super moon clips! The last one's I bought from moonclips.com were over $7.00 each, when the RO steps on one you start thinking BAD thoughts. Also I only use R-P brass, any other brand is iffy, although I've heard Starline works as well.

I have both guns and like them equally, but I do shorten the 38 specials, also I size my cast bullets .358" for both guns. The Supers (627-4) are hard to find, but the cost of the brass isn't a factor, just be sure and try different brands in your gun before stocking up, I made a mistake and bought a bunch of federal factory stuff and got a real surprise when I loaded it back up, because of the extractor cut, it wouldn't chamber!

In my 38 special I also use R-P brass because it works best for me, easy to load the moonclips by hand without getting sore fingers.

Dick

I'm waiting for the 627 8-shot in 9mm, yeah it will look funny but the cylinder will be light and easy to turn and the brass will go in and out fast. Jerry asked our class how many would like one, about half of us said yes, now all he has to do is convince S&W.

Some people have had accuracy problems with Short Colt due to the bullets distance from the forcing cone. Your results may vary, but I want all the accuracy I can get shooting Standards.

Does anyone have an opinion on which 627 is better for ICORE and or Steel?? Just got a good deal on a 357 and wondered what the peanut gallery thought.

I posted on this awhile back. I too found a great deal on a 627 38/357 and am very happy with it. After researching the various cases that can be used I settled on the 38 Long Colt. It measures between the Short Colt and the 38 Special. A wide variety of bullets are available. The jump to the forcing cone isn't as long as the Short Colt. Standard moonclips can be used. The bullet wobble in the moonclip is about the same as in a 45ACP clip. It's about the best of all worlds. Get the brass from Starline and give it a try. Standard 38/357 dies reload them just fine.

I'd buy a 8-shot 627 in 9mm if it were available. Hell yeah, boyee!

A friend and I though it would be easy to have one custom built but where do you get an 8 shot cylinder thats not bored? You can't shorten a super or 38/357 because it won't have the small step at the end for centering the bullet. Any ideas? I've got an N frame waiting.

I'd think it'd have to be custom made. Then again, I've never owned a revolver. Seems like it'd be uber-cost prohibitive. Timing issues, etc... get ugly real quick-like.

Wait for the 9mm... Jerry'll git 'er dun, right?