Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp-01 shadow necessary mods?

Honeybooboo

I know there's a lot of info out there but I'm going to get a sp-01 shadow to play with. I don't want to wait the 8 weeks to have cz custom change parts out so I was thinking of starting out with a plain stock shadow.

But is there anything that really needs to be done? Was going to have them install the comp hammer, cz85 trigger, polish the feed ramp and leave it at that. But yea don't know if it's worth the cash and wait time?

I've only handled a stock cz75 before and thought it was pretty damn good except the weight of the trigger pulls. Figured with the shadow id have a better trigger right away without doing any work to it.

13lbs CGW hammer spring, 11lbs recoil spring, extended firing pin with reduced power firing pin spring, CGW reduced power trigger return spring and his floating trigger pin. All very easy and low cost mods, total $59. The stock hammer is pretty good and argued by some to be as good as the comp hammer.

Next level upgrades is the Type 1 dis-connector for eliminating most of SA pre-travel. If you don't mind doing a little hand fitting the type 3 is the way to go.

I would also recommended getting 11.5lbs and 8lbs hammer spring and the recoil spring pack to figure out which spring combo works best for you.

Give David at CGW a call he will get you the parts you need.

Yea having someone fit the type 3 disconnect would be huge because I hate pre-travel in single action. If there's pre-travel in the trigger after the reset I can't stand it.

Interesting, I prefer a little. I like it for when you move across a stage and have to remount the trigger. I find that little bit of take up prevents me from sending an errant one into the berm

I just picked up a 91154 Shadow Custom from CZ Custom shop. It comes with competition sights, cz85c trigger already installed and extended mag release. The double action pull is fairly stiff, but not as bad as some I've handled. The single action trigger pull is close to that from a CGW competition hammer only with a very small amount of creep before the break and zero camming of the hammer - I might keep it for a while before switching out. This gun is very accurate - it shot a 25m 1.25" group from the bench even though the test target showed 1.530" test group (I'm assuming that was with a ransom rest). It's advertised as a CZ Custom exclusive and the hammer is similar to a CZ Champion.

Any way, I think with a hammer spring change and an extended firing pin this one could be good to go for competition. Took only 3 days to get it!

Edited by rhart123

Buy a stock shadow if you can find one and then decide after you get it what mods you want to make. I have an sp 01 shadow custom and a stock 75 shadow. Before tuning, the triggers were pretty close. I've done considerable tuning to both of them including the mods mentioned here. The triggers are now indistinguishable. And the stock shadow is of course a better value.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a stock shadow if you can find one and then decide after you get it what mods you want to make. I have an sp 01 shadow custom and a stock 75 shadow. Before tuning, the triggers were pretty close. I've done considerable tuning to both of them including the mods mentioned here. The triggers are now indistinguishable. And the stock shadow is of course a better value.

There seem to be plenty stock sp-01 shadows in stock. Also found a couple places that have the cz custom sp-01 shadow customs in stock. For $400 more it seems like the way to go. Not sure if the sp-01 custom is idpa legal though. Might not be because of the hammer. Don't should idpa but may want to have that option.

I just picked up a factory Shadow to be my backup/practice gun to save some wear and tear on the Accu. This is what I am doing to it.

Replace front sight with Dawson, factory is too wide

Replace safeties with thin Rami style

Extended firing pin

CGW Type 1 disconnector or pre-b disconnector

CGW floating trigger pin

Steel guide rod

11lb recoil spring

13lb hammer spring

SSI scale grips, probably in red

This will make it as close to my Accu's setup as possible without paying more for the Comp Hammer and stuff I don't need. My Shadow has a darn good single action pull and the DA isn't that bad, but the weight could be dropped a bit. I don't chase super light trigger pull weights, I don't mind them a bit heavy.

post-2465-0-87292400-1440778214_thumb.jp

13lbs CGW hammer spring, 11lbs recoil spring, extended firing pin with reduced power firing pin spring, CGW reduced power trigger return spring and his floating trigger pin. All very easy and low cost mods, total $59. The stock hammer is pretty good and argued by some to be as good as the comp hammer.

Next level upgrades is the Type 1 dis-connector for eliminating most of SA pre-travel. If you don't mind doing a little hand fitting the type 3 is the way to go.

I would also recommended getting 11.5lbs and 8lbs hammer spring and the recoil spring pack to figure out which spring combo works best for you.

Give David at CGW a call he will get you the parts you need.

Thanks for this. I'm going with all of those "level 1" parts. May have my gunsmith polish stuff up as well because he does it for most of my guns and does it real cheap. For 100 bucks or so I can have all those parts, installed, and the trigger parts polished up.

I just picked up a factory Shadow to be my backup/practice gun to save some wear and tear on the Accu. This is what I am doing to it.

Replace front sight with Dawson, factory is too wide

Replace safeties with thin Rami style

Extended firing pin

CGW Type 1 disconnector or pre-b disconnector

CGW floating trigger pin

Steel guide rod

11lb recoil spring

13lb hammer spring

SSI scale grips, probably in red

This will make it as close to my Accu's setup as possible without paying more for the Comp Hammer and stuff I don't need. My Shadow has a darn good single action pull and the DA isn't that bad, but the weight could be dropped a bit. I don't chase super light trigger pull weights, I don't mind them a bit heavy.

IMG_0130.jpg

Nice. I like the idea of thinner safeties. May have to do that. Side topic, but what is the accuracy difference between a regular shadow and an accu at like 25 yards?

Yea having someone fit the type 3 disconnect would be huge because I hate pre-travel in single action. If there's pre-travel in the trigger after the reset I can't stand it.

Interesting, I prefer a little. I like it for when you move across a stage and have to remount the trigger. I find that little bit of take up prevents me from sending an errant one into the berm

+1 here .

Had problems getting the cgw drop in to work & ended up installing the cz custom drop in, I think that is pretty rare though.

Don't see the DSPerman increased weight safety springs mentioned anywhere. I bought a 5 pack ,cheap at $14.95 and takes the stress out of losing one, if you are one like me who can occasionally bump the safety while running a course they are a good thing.

Else , op, if you have a go at doing things yourself you may get addicted, to get started for parts I just called CGW and bought what was recommended after studying the website. I'm tempted to buy another stock SP01 just so I can work on it :) .

I believe the stock main spring is 17/18 lb and the stock recoil spring is 14 lb.

I would change the main spring to 13 lb and the recoil spring to 11 lb and your own choice of grips.

Leave everything else standard and put 5,000 rounds through it.

I believe the stock main spring is 17/18 lb and the stock recoil spring is 14 lb.

I would change the main spring to 13 lb and the recoil spring to 11 lb and your own choice of grips.

Leave everything else standard and put 5,000 rounds through it.

Yea keeping it simple seems smart. Seems to be a lot of benefit to polishing the trigger bar too, but I guess 5k rounds will do the same thing.

Thanks I will test drive an 11 and 12 recoil spring. I am going to try the 11.5 pound hammer spring I already have also. So far it was 1 round fail to feed in the first 1000 rounds. 500 of them were with the 13lb main spring. All of the ammo was 115g blazer and UMC