Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Visual Reference Zero

I guess I'm just thick....I don't get it. Say I'm running my beloved M-14. If I'm zeroed at 300 yards, I know I'm 4" hi at 100 yes. I'm 6" hi at 200, dead on at 300 and 12" low at 400, what does a big piece of paper with 4 different groups give me that I don't already know? And why would I need that on a cell phone picture? Not trying to be " that guy", but I really don't get it.

I guess I'm just thick....I don't get it. Say I'm running my beloved M-14. If I'm zeroed at 300 yards, I know I'm 4" hi at 100 yes. I'm 6" hi at 200, dead on at 300 and 12" low at 400, what does a big piece of paper with 4 different groups give me that I don't already know? And why would I need that on a cell phone picture? Not trying to be " that guy", but I really don't get it.

I don't have a very good memory and I shoot lots of different gun and load combos so it helps with that.

Beyond that, even with my 14, I needed a visual reference as to where my impacts would be if I "dialed-in"

a 450 zero and I needed to hit a mini popper at 175. The "Where do I hold" was hard to keep in my head.

Having a visual reference really helped me, so I thought I would share.

Maybe I am dense, but when using a 2nd focal plane scope I may want to run it near "mid power"and knowing where

a lower stadia wire puts a bullet has been helpful. So I "build" a target for that model. It doesn't have to be a distance

thing either. I got burnt one time having to shoot though little holes in a steel no-shoot at 35 or 58 or some yards and I

did not know (or remember) where to hold to slip that bullet through the 1.5" aperture.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Hey Pat I do something real similar. I have a target that I shot a group on at 100 yards. I shot this group right after i had all my long range holds doped out good. When I am going to a match and don't have a chance to actually shoot my long range zero then I take that same target, tape up the group and shoot another 100 yard group. If my rounds group on top of the old holes then I know my zero is right on the money.

Patrick, how do these loads match up to any of the ballistic programs?

I've done the same big target thing but then compare the results to Strelok.

In my case my range only goes out to 200 yards so beyond that I'm guessing. Not a problem since few ranges that hold 3 gun matches go beyond 240 yards.

Thanks.

Bill

[quote name="P.E. Kelley" post="2448452" timestamp="1439492778

I used the charts

in the back of Reloading Manuals that the kids don't read anymore.[/quote

Now that is funny! A retired friend of mine showed me the Strelock app on his phone, I thought that's a nice gimmick. Then I went to another match and was squadded with a few guys that don't have access to a range longer than 200 yards, they were making hits on targets much further than that. They all had the Strelock app and it was working great for them by showing them where to hold. It is now on my phone.

Proven, I get out to the range to verify distance hits an zero. The strelok app has worked for me. I hit every long range target at the last smm3g with ease, with a Burris tac30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proven, I get out to the range to verify distance hits an zero. The strelok app has worked for me. I hit every long range target at the last smm3g with ease, with a Burris tac30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good, we have done the same thing only I used paper. Oh and I hit them all with a 1x.