Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended magazine release for production?

MilkMyDuds

I am a bit confused with the wording in the rule book:

Appendix D4

A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.

Isn't OFM = Original Firearm Manufacture = factory? If so, does any manufacture actually sell "extended mag release"? Pretty much all the extended mag releases are coming from aftermarket.

Can someone please explain? Thanks.

In particular, I am looking at this extended mag release from Springer Precision for MP9.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=76&categoryId=25

The item description says the following, but I am uncertain if this item is really "factory/OFM" part just because it matches the factory profile.

These releases are made from a high strength alloy and hard coated and match the factory profile per rule 21.6 in the USPSA rulebook. These are a great addition to competition pistols or for those who want a little extra reach so you don't have to shift your grip to drop a magazine. This is extended .1" longer than the factory release and is suitable for carry and competition use. *USPSA Production, Limited, and Open approved approved.* 4.53 Grams 0.152839 OZ

Sig has them as standard on some of their SAO X5 models, but not the Allround, which is the only one on the Production-approved list. Hence, I can't take one from an SAO model and put it on my Allround.

I've always read that requirement as being that the part needs to come from the factory on another approved gun. Springer is saying that they meet factory profile, but unless they make one that S&W sells on one of their M&Ps, I don't think it would be legal.

The surface area (the part that you press to release the magazine) is the key issue. You can have a magazine release that is LONGER than the supplied one as long as the surface area of the part that you press is the same size. Now if the manufacturer makes a release with a LARGER surface area then you can use it, if they don't then you can't use it.

The part made by Springer Precision is just LONGER, the part that you press is the same size as the original factory part, hence it is legal.

But the first part of that section reads, "•A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used."

Since Production rules go by the "if it doesn't specifically allow it, you can't do it," I would not think aftermarket releases are allowed at all, regardless of whether they have the same surface area.

The length is the only thing that can be changed.

The part made by Springer Precision is LONGER than the OFM part but is otherwise identical. Therefore it is legal.

This helps. Thanks for the clarifications.

BTW - the live broadcasting of the prod nationals was outstanding! Thanks for doing a great service for us shooters :)

The length is the only thing that can be changed.

The part made by Springer Precision is LONGER than the OFM part but is otherwise identical. Therefore it is legal.

Paul,

Cool Videos, Thanks!

Now back to the subject: How do you come to the conclusion that aftermarket mag release are legal when this is the Appendix D4 21.6 section:

"A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.

"?

I haven't found any mention of aftermarket mag releases being legal.

No idea. Perhaps an email to Troy regarding this issue would be prudent.

Already sent. I an not sure how meaningful an interpretation of a 3 version old rulebook is...

I received this response from Troy this morning. He is commenting on the legality of AM mag releases and the archive page that Paul linked:

-------------------

Aftermarket mag releases are not allowed, per the rules in Appendix D4, #21.6.

As far as I know, unless some rules were changed in the interim, the information in that web page is in the current 2014 rule book. There were no rule books issued from 2009 through 2013. The 2008 rules were in effect, with interpretations and rulings, until Feb, 2014.

Troy

-------------------

Later,

Chuck

Well that seems to be at odds with what some dealers are specifying on their webpages for extended magazine releases. I've sent a PM to Scott at Springer Precision to let him know.

My interpretation has always been that if it is available to anyone and is only longer than the original then it would be good to go. The rule specifies factory/OFM which seems to indicate that factory and Original Firearm Manufacturer may be separate entities, otherwise why list the word 'factory' ?

Edited by BritinUSA

That does not match the ruling we had from John, and Troy verified to us that if we match the factory parts (we make a metal trigger for the XDM to match the original trigger it came with before the switch to a plastic one) then it is OK. They were used recently at the Nationals and the shooters were not moved into Open division in the XDM, M&P, and P320.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Special Notes/Clarifications:

"A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used." We specifically make an factory release that extends the length only per the 21.6 rule. It is specifically allowed.

"A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used." We specifically make an factory release that extends the length only per the 21.6 rule. It is specifically allowed.

That was my understanding too.... If I made a mag release that was just longer than the original it would not be allowed as I am not a factory and therefore the part would not be widely available.

That was my understanding too.... If I made a mag release that was just longer than the original it would not be allowed as I am not a factory and therefore the part would not be widely available.

Troy called me and confirmed that a part matching the factory part that is just extended (as our parts are) are legal per 21.6's Special Notes/clarifications. Britain, yes you could do that. The clarification makes the parts more available as some factories do not sell parts to the general public. He also stated that they should be able to fix the wording to include the verbiage that is has to be Factory/OFM or match Factory/OFM in the rulebook.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Troy called me and confirmed that a part matching the factory part that is just extended (as our parts are) are legal per 21.6's Special Notes/clarifications. Britain, yes you could do that. The clarification makes the parts more available as some factories do not sell parts to the general public. He also stated that they should be able to fix the wording to include the verbiage that is has to be Factory/OFM or match Factory/OFM in the rulebook.

That would be nice. I had sent him this question:

Troy,

If someone wanted to use an aftermarket magazine release that only extended the length, but otherwise had a factory profile, would that be allowed under the following section of App D4, 21.6:

A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.

The part I'm looking for clarification on is aftermarket vs. factory/OFM, and whether it's just talking about factory/OFM profile, or manufacturing.

And I had this response in my inbox from him today:

The rule specifically states OFM, therefore no aftermarket magazine releases are allowed. It must come from the Original Firearms Manufacturer, or a company that supplies them to the OFM.

Edited by JAFO

Troy replied again to me today regarding this. Looks like there should be a ruling issued soon to clear it up.

After some discussion with my predecessor, as long as the aftermarket magazine release meets factory specifications (that is, it's basically identical) and only extends the release (makes it longer), it's legal. So, in the context of my earlier answer, if you are contemplating one like that--identical to the OFM part, but longer--then it's legal.

I'm going to issue a ruling/clarification about this because it's causing a lot of questions.

Regards,

Troy

Edited by JAFO