Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended magazine release for production?

MilkMyDuds

Following up on this, I'm confused by the "larger surface area." Being a huge nerd, I know that if you change the length on only one portion, than the surface area is bigger. For example, the Vickers Gen 4 release is curved, so it will have a greater surface area than the standard, which is flat. But it isn't a paddle or a button. Similarly, the Springer Precision M&P release that is the subject here extends the release out evenly, the but the Catalyst extends only one side, making it angle back. Are those legal?

The Surface Area refers to the end of the magazine release that you press to release the magazine, not the whole part. In this picture below from Springer Precision, the surface area is the grooved part of the magazine release, the part that you press.

SIG%20P320%20100%20MAG%20RELEASE%203.jpg

This must be the same size as the OFM part, the release can be longer so it extends further from the frame, but the part you press must be the same. If the release is wider so the part extends towards the rear of the gun then I would say it is not legal, it can only be longer, not wider or deeper.

Edited by BritinUSA

Magazine releases in Production Division
USPSA
There have been a lot of questions lately regarding extended magazine releases in Production Division. Here's a little information that will hopefully clear up some of the confusion. For some reason, this exact wording did not make the 2014 rules set. I've introduced a ruling to clarify this information, and it will be added to the online version of the Handgun rules as soon as possible. The key wording here concerns aftermarket parts. The part can only make the magazine release button longer, not wider, unless it's an OFM (Original Firearm Manufacturer — changed from OEM in 2012 or so) part available on some other approved model. There are several aftermarket suppliers that have magazine releases that are identical to the OFM magazine release, only longer. These are approved for use in Production Division.

From the 2009 interpretations and rulings: An external part which extends only the length of the magazine-release button is specifically allowed in section 21.6 of the 2009 interpretation, whether the part is OEM or aftermarket. If the part provides a larger surface area (a big head, a button, a paddle, etc.)...

I get that, but what if, by being longer, it makes the area different. Here's a picture with a good comparison:

cc2.jpgThe stock is on the bottom, the Catalyst on the top.

The Catalyst increase the size of the head by including the guide part of the release to the face of the release.

This is a big deal. Basically opened up extended mag releases from OFM/OEM only to aftermarket permitted as long as the surface area requirements are met. Many production guns have no OEM/OFM extended part available so this is a huge bonus.

I get that, but what if, by being longer, it makes the area different. Here's a picture with a good comparison:

cc2.jpgThe stock is on the bottom, the Catalyst on the top.

Just file the guide part down so it has a step like the OEM/OFM part. Even cutting a small notch inbetween the main area and the guide part would technically "Separate" them.

This is a big deal. Basically opened up extended mag releases from OFM/OEM only to aftermarket permitted as long as the surface area requirements are met. Many production guns have no OEM/OFM extended part available so this is a huge bonus.

They did it 8 years ago, this is not new. One of the reasons is exactly as you stated.