Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major guidance on primers and Ram Shot Silhouette

abruno25

hey guys I'm looking for some guidance on loading 9mm major.

i have a chance to pick up some ram shot silhouette and wanted to see if anyone has any data on silhouette major loads and any what would be the best primers to run? right now i have remington 1 1/2 and cci 500 and federals, i can get my hands on remington 5 1/2 which i think has a thicker wall so i believe this would be a lot better with the 9major. please let me know if i'm heading in the right direction, thank you

p.s loading this for my open ck thunder in 9mm major

post-61096-0-77961200-1438133223_thumb.j

1st off. Congrats on the blaster it's beautiful!

As for silhouette.

You may want to try a slower powder. What bullet weight are you loading? 124 are really nice with a slower powder. I would look for some hs-6, autocomp, cfe pistol, longshot, 800x (large flake doesn't meter great) VV 350 3n37 3n38 and I'm sure a few others I've missed. I've never loaded with silhouette personally but I have never purchased it for making maj. I'm sure someone with more experience w this then me will chime in but that's my 2c.

From my searches, Silhouette has been reported to be one of the best powders along with autocomp and hs6 for 9major. 124 or a 115 should work just fine. I'm sure someone who uses it will chime in. Also search silhouette on here. There's a bunch of info out there for it in 9major, I've looked ?

Side note where are you? If your in fl I can get you hs-6 autocomp cfe and longshot all locally. It's a bit much, 35$ a lb, but if you just wanted a few lbs to find out what you like before placing a bulk order it's worth it.

I've only put Silhouette over the chrono once and my highest charge only made 160pf, but it'll give you an idea:

7.8gr under an Xtreme 115gr at 1.170" with a Winchester SPP through a 5.4" barrel with two 3/16" holes. Does your barrel have holes?

thanks for the help but I'm up in NY so that makes every thing a lot harder for me. I'm going to be using 124 gr hp, spoke with a few guys and they recommend the silhouette, also read good things about the cfe... think i'm going to be testing little of both....

thats great to know thank you, i just ordered 4 pounds of cfe and 4 lbs silhouette from a local guy who said he can get me the powder so keeping my fingers crossed! i'm going to load these up and get these through the crono to compare. with the cfe what primers were you using? thinking about starting with cci 500

Looks like a CK arms gun, mine has three popple holes in the barrel which means it will need a little more gas to work well. I use Montana gold 115gr hp with 9.2gr of HS-6 (Powder valley has some in stock) at 1.165 OAL with CCI small rifle primers that nets 1520 FPS. Shoots pretty flat in my gun. I tried 124gr hp and it felt pretty harsh. I hear 8.2gr of Autocomp with a 115gr MG bullet is pretty nice as well.

Here's my load data out of a 5 inch + threading barrel

Temp was 65 Degrees and sunny at approx 7,000 feet ASL Using a CE Pro Chrono Digital at 15 Feet.

I was loading mixed headstamp once fired 9mm brass, Remington SPP, MG 124 CMJ, Loaded to 1.183 OAL, Powder is Ramshot Silhouette

7.0 Gr, 163 PF, 1315 Fps Avg, 8.7 SD

7.2 Gr, 168 PF, 1355 Fps Avg, 15.4 SD

7.4 Gr, 171 PF, 1378 Fps Avg, 11.1 SD

7.6 Gr, 174 PF, 1404 Fps Avg, 11.6 SD

7.8 Gr, 176 PF, 1420 Fps Avg, 7.4 SD

8.0 Gr, 181 PF, 1459 Fps Avg, 5.0 SD

For 9mm maj. I'm running 7.7gr silhouette behind a Campro 124gr FMJRN, win sm pistol primer, aol 1.155, @ 168 pf, out of a Tang small frame with a 5" barrel with 4 top hybrid jets and 4 port comp...

When I shot Open years ago I used Silhouette in my STI 9mm Major gun. I don't recall the exact charge weights but it was a pretty full case but making Major PF was not an issue and I used Fed primers with no real issues. NOTE: Charge weights to get to Major PF will be beyond any formally published data.

The data and links above should help you out.

thanks for the help but I'm up in NY so that makes every thing a lot harder for me. I'm going to be using 124 gr hp, spoke with a few guys and they recommend the silhouette, also read good things about the cfe... think i'm going to be testing little of both....

Listen to them..... Silhouette and 124s is great for 9 major. I always use SRP. CCI is what I use now. Little cheaper than Win and seems to available all the time.

If you go and search there is quite a bit of info on 9maj w/ Silhouette (and other powders) posted by a member named "CocoBolo". He was fond of Silhouette in 9maj. I don't shoot 9maj, but found his load data to be pretty right on for 38 super.

I absolutely love Silhouette in 9 major. It meters well, clean, and consistent over the chrono. PF will increase in sub 30 degree weather though.

7.4gr @ 1.155 with a 124gr Xtreme HPCB does 171 PF through my Czechmate. Winchester SPP, CCI SPP, Remington SPP

7.5gr @1.165 with 124gr Precision Delta JHP does 170 PF through my FGW 5" with 3 holes. Any small pistol primer other than Feds.

Silhouette has been my go to powder for several years. Works great and with 115 JHP bullets it is flat and accurate. Something like 8.5/8.6/8.7 and OAL from 1.145 to 1.165 should work behind a Zero or MG JHP. You'll have to work that out to see what your gun likes.

My load with Silhouette is 7.8gr under a Montana Gold 124gr JHP loaded out to 1.165 OAL with a CCI small rifle primer. I get a low SD and a PF of 174.

This is with a 5" Cheely built gun.

Edited by Cowboy1629