Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

beginner issue, progress stalling

i'm making good progress in improving my shooting skills

where im stalling @ is draw to first shot

improvment in this skill has come to a very very very slow crawl

i've been doing alot of dry fire just draw to target pull trigger

my other skills are improving much faster than this skill

does anyone have any ideas what drills/practice might help? What to do?

Check out the Steve Anderson (Anderson Shooting) books, "Refinement and Repetition" and "Principles of Performance". There are a ton of drills in there that will help with your draw to first shot.

Here's a video of him working with a student one on one. Steve has helped a LOT of shooters in this area.

you can't just crank out reps and assume you'll get better. You need to analyse the various aspects of your draw and see what's holding you back and then make specific changes.

What is your average draw time now?

I don't have holster yet. I'm doing simulated draw and with a well placed shot 2.5 sec ish. But feels much longer.

Also make sure you're using proper mechanics. If you're doing it not quite right in the first place, then doing a ton of reps isn't going to help you and will in fact hurt.

I realized that recently a slow perfect draw to first shot practice is not helping. At range today I did a bunch of singles @ tempo and was pulling shots left on. A zone border. Lateral not low left. With ocassional c. Thing is I don't know. I'm here trying to fin the answers. I did add dry fire practice. In dark room focus on sights with tempo trigger pulls observing sights for movement. A stronger support hand is helping. I'm also doing same with 2 shot par time .50. Slow fire I'm just bit left from my supported shots. Thing is I never ever throw a shot right. That half of target is safe. I've experimented with finger pad. position. Scaled bill drill today. 5/6 A first shot was C low left. I'm fighting to smooth the trigger movement. Or slap.

you can't just crank out reps and assume you'll get better. You need to analyse the various aspects of your draw and see what's holding you back and then make specific changes.

I need help. My slow fire s/a shots are ok. My single slow d/a shots are ok. Let's say I shoot pairs x 3 targets..... The first shot is always more left. S/a, d/a No difference. But every shot after at tempo is good. Zimbabwe at medium speed I'm Pretty much left but in A zone . I'm out of analysis/ ideas for what is going on. Granted I've only been pushing the speed for less than 2 weeks. I could use some advice....please Edited by biglou13

It's really not too difficult for most people to get down to 1.25 - 1.50 second draw.

But, as everyone mentioned, find out HOW to do it before you reinforce all the

wrong habits.

Some shooters here can get down to .7 seconds, but as one GM mentioned to

me, he aims for a constant, every time 1.25 sec draw - consistent, with proper

grip so the 2nd and 3rd shots are fired very quickly afterward (NOT having to

reposition your grip after the first quick shot).

After a half hour of practice, even I (70 years old, and a mere B shooter)

was down to 1.25 secs. :cheers:

step one, get a holster. until then all i'd practice is what i've heard others call "extension to fire". but get a holster asap.

things others have said that helped me at different times and in different ways.

-be relaxed in the shoulders while waiting for the beep

-move on the B in the "beep" and not on the P.

-the sooner you get your eyes picking up the front sight the sooner you'll be pulling the trigger

-work on your "index", meaning getting the gun to go where you look, exactly, with the sights aligned. every time.

-sounds like you're shooting a da/sa gun. watch the videos by ernie langdon about 'fear not the da shot' on youtube

-find where in the timing of your draw you need to start your trigger pull such that the gun goes off at the right moment, rather than waiting for the sights to be perfectly in front of you and ttthhhheeennn starting your trigger press

-work on the draw backwards.

-get a timer, dry fire with honest feedback, work on par times.

Don't get too caught up mastering a 1 second draw. That is something you only do once per stage . . . time loss in minimal. Granted, you don't want to be a low poke, from the beep to the first shot. However, I suggest working hard on the things you do several times, on pretty much every stage . . . splits, transitions, reloads and movement. Mastering these things will shave a lot of time off your runs.

What do you mean by "work on the draw backwards" Rowdyb? Am I overthinking or is it exactly what it sounds like ?

I figure Rowdy will respond, but here's my $.02 on that point.

Bring the gun from firing position back to the holster and watch your movements. Duplicate that on the draw, only in reverse. Many shooters that I've coached have a tendency to "scoop" the gun......i.e. do the old Bullseye mount, bringing the muzzle up far above the target and dropping onto the target after full extension. Pay attention to the "reverse draw" and go straight from holster to target without pointing it at the sky. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Any extra movement beyond holster-to-target is wasted time.

Alan~^~

you'll need a holster but basically point the gun like you just finished shooting a target. Then simply reverse your movements to holster the gun. That is your most efficient movement of your arms & hands to execute a draw.

the biggest reason C/B class shooters have slow draws is that they spend WAY too much time refining their sight picture becuase they never took the time in training to learn what an acceptable sight pitcure is to shoot an A at the various distances we see at matches.

The next time (and I mean the very next time) you go do a live fire session you need to do the following or expect to be forever cursed with a slow draw ...

set up a target at 5, 10, 15 & 20 yds

shoot several shots at each distance (no time limit) with your sights "misaligned" to some degree and record how far 'off' your sight picture can be & still hit the A zone. memorize this sight picture for each distance since this is all the sight pitcure you will need. Waiting until you have attained the perfect sight picture may be great for bullseye shooting but is incredubly SLOW ....

WARNING: this assumes you have mastered trigger control. If you haven't, expect not to learn anything. For me, at 10yds, the post can be half way covered by the notch (left-right) & half way above or below the top of the notch & I still shoot alphas ... but I have great trigger control .... :)

ignore this exercise and expect to have 'retard slow' draw times your entire shooting career ....

Edited by Nimitz

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...